LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Got VirtuaTennis 2009 Today!

I called my local GameStop this morning, to see if they had GrandSlam Tennis and the WiiMotion Plus controls in yet (since today is the release date). They said no, they were due tomorrow. BUT, oddly enough, they had VirtuaTennis 2009 already, which isn't supposed to be out until TOMORROW.

I was going to wait until tomorrow and pick all of it up, but my patience failed and I went over at lunchtime and got VT09.

I've only been playing with it for about 40 min, but here are my initial impressions... first, as you may figure, it's NOTHING like WiiSports Tennis. And since I don't have a WiiMotion Plus yet, I'm limited to semi-accurate racket motions.

Anyway... I had to spend about 20 minutes using the coach. WiiSports Tennis is VERY forgiving. Swing the racket anywhere near the ball and you'll hit it. Serves are a complete no-brainer, but as you know, you never fault when serving.

Timing is much more important in VT09. I haven't quite gotten the hang of the little horizontal bar that appears when the ball comes near you. It has to do with how far away the ball is for you, so you can time your shots, like for cross-court or down-the-line.

For serving... you toss the ball by flicking the remote upward. Then that horizontal bar appears again. Based on when you swing again depends on where in the serving box the ball drops. It took a long time to get any serves in, and I have yet to figuring out HOW to place them. Maybe later tonight when I'm done with work.

I played one quick three-game "match" and of course got my butt kicked. I think I won all of two points. Mostly because I don't have the timing down on the shots yet.

Graphically, it's very good. It's very smooth, the courts look great, the players look very good, etc, etc. They're not photo-realistic, but I don't think that's possible on the Wii's modest CPU. I can't wait to rent the PS3 version, though, to compare the graphics. But I'm leary of how well the PS3 controls will work.

So tonight after work, I will play around more, and look forward to tomorrow when I can pick up the WiiMotion Plus controls and also Grand Slam Tennis. At least today I'm getting some quality time in with VT so I can better compare it to GST.

To prevent me from playing it for at least a few hours, I have the disc in my LG drive with Rawdump running. Now maybe I can get some work done.

Rob

Member #
    Friends
    0472-2704-5666-6882
    Rawdump eh? Planning on releasing it? Nice

Member #
    Friends
    I have two Wii's -- one at home and one here in the RV that I live in for work, and I don't see a reason to have two purchased copies of the game.

Rob

Member #
    Friends
    Sounds interesting, I've been waiting for a tennis game that beats Wii Sports in terms of control and depth.

Looking forward to see how you think VT2009 and GST compare and how much difference motion plus makes on each game.
    Wii games - SMG, Zelda TP, Mario Kart, SSBB, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Endless Ocean, Blue World, Wii Fit, Super Monkeyball, Rogue Trooper, Shaun White, NMH, NMH2, GH: WT, Aerosmith, Zack&Wiki, Okami, RE4, Force Unleashed, Clone Wars, Scarface, PES, Tenchu, Trauma Centre NB, Madworld, Rune Factory, Wii Sports Resort, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Muramasa, COD Reflex, Obscure, Silent Hill, Rabbids Go Home, NSMB, Bully, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter Tri

Member #
    Friends
    0472-2704-5666-6882
    First review of Grand Slam Tennis. Prepare yourself.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ea...-tennis-review

Member #
    Friends
    Wow, if it's really that bad maybe I oughta pass.

In another half hour when my dump is done, I'll play with VT09 some more and see if it's as "impossible" as the review says GST is and decide from there.

Rob

Member #
    Friends
    3239-0851-6759-1030
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/992/992615p1.html

Grand Slam Tennis get's an
    Spoiler Alert!
    from IGN. Definitely picking it up.

Playstation Network: yanks96
    Steam I.D: yankees96
    Xbox LIVE: dotKev
    Xfire: yanks96
    My Twitter Account

Member #
    Friends
    Cool!!! I was hoping IGN would have a review up soon (and they came through). I buy all my games based on their reviews, and they've never let me down.

Excellent, I'll get GST.

I've been plaing with VT09 for the last hour and I really like it. It's frustrating me because I can't kick it's butt right out of the box like I did with WiiSports Tennis, but that's a good thing. I'm sitting here all sweaty because I keep getting beat by the practice guy.

Timing is definitely a key with VT, at least without the WMP. I can nail regular and high-speed shots just fine, anywhere I want. But the slow ones, like drop shots and slow shots, I keep missing them. I'll figure it out eventually. I'm going to the "Tennis Academy" now to see if that'll help.

Thanks a LOT for posting that review link!!!

Rob

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Can someone sell on this, i'm can't pick from GST or VT09, if you guys have any of these games please I want your impressions of the game, the fun factor, can you create your own player, can you play online, blah blah, blah, sell me people i can't pick. i don't really go for reviews cus i like the 007 game for wii and i read alot of reviewers gave it a bad review but i enjoyed 007. help me decide?
    Last edited by castlezelda; 06-08-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    Gays? I'm guessing that's a typo?

Once I get GST tomorrow and play it a bit, I can give you a side-by-side comparison.

VT09 is pretty cool. It's really frustrating too because I'm still missing stupid shots I should be able to nail. I'm thinking the WMP will help that a lot (I hope).

I have managed to FINALLY win my first tournament, and I'm currently about to start the Semis of my second tournament.

Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads