+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000

Miyamoto Unconcerned By Rival Motion Control Systems

Sony and Microsoft's attempts 'lack depth', says Mario's dad

This year's E3 was an interesting one for fans of motion-controlled gaming. Not only did Sony unveil it's PS3 'wand' controller, Microsoft went one better with Natal, which doesn't use a controller at all.

Naturally, one might wonder what Nintendo - the company that started this particular revoluition - is thinking right now. The BBC recently got the chance to sit down with Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto and posed the question we're all dying to ask: Is Nintendo worried about these rival systems?

And the great man replied:

Not worried at all. The fact that both of those companies are looking at finding ways to get the gamer off the couch, taking advantage of MC, and really getting the gamer to control the game by moving their body, shows that No. 1 they've looked at what we've done with Wii, and seen the value in that. And now they're moving in the same direction that we have already established. ... We've been experimenting with motion control for over five years now. Based on the announcements we've seen here at E3, it seems these other two companies have really only been experimenting with this only very recently. ... It looks like they're still in their initial stages and are trying to create experiences that at this point don't have the type of depth that we're able to provide with Wii Motion Plus.
    Heres the link http://wii.nintendolife.com/news/200...ontrol_systems

An Instant Classic LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    What depth? A single player three-point competition? Throwing a frisbee to a dog?

Not to fit a mold,

Not to join a trend,

Not to follow a crowd

Member #
    Friends
    Well its good to see that he isnt crying lol. The depth, is basicly how they are expirimenting with the new controls. Remember nintendo introduced motion controlled gaming to the big leagues. As he said, "they've looked at what we've done with Wii, and seen the value in that". It makes sense, because nintendo keeps introducing new ways to play. If the wii could produce better graphics maybe the age of two analog stick fps will end. Personally i find fps on the wii more fun, even if the game isnt good. The idea is genius, and its true how microsoft and sony want to keep up with the competition. All the wii needs is some better graphics and more mature games and whola, back on top.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Seeing as Miyamoto himself doesn't thoroughly enjoy videogames, I would say that he's pretty useless for getting opinions from. We just want him to come out with facts, like new Zelda games. He doesn't seem to be phased by competition much. The Wii has a completely different audience than the rival consoles. I guess they're still focusing on that... It's quite disappointing, but that's how Nintendo work nowadays. Miyamoto is a figurehead at best.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by LevesqueIsKing View Post
    What depth? A single player three-point competition? Throwing a frisbee to a dog?
    Depth means:
    1. They have a name for their motion controller.
    2. They're done experimenting w/ prototypes, they have a finished design.
    3. WiiMotion Plus has a price and ready for sale.
    4. They have many games in development that hasn't been announced.
    5. They have well tested software that's actually ready to be released.
    6. They have 3rd party developers that has been developing games for it.
    7. They have the casual market who believes in motion control gaming which is key to success.

I think they should've stuck w/ the codename 'Revolution' since that's what it's currently doing. Also, sounds much better than 'Wii'.
    Last edited by bruceleroy; 06-08-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    I'm not surprised that he is unconcerned. Who would be? Nintendo is revolutionizing the gaming industry. All one can say is: Bravo.

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Nintendo started the revolution, then added a bunch of crap to it. Sony and M$ will try to advance it and push it to is limits.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodine View Post
    Nintendo started the revolution, then added a bunch of crap to it. Sony and M$ will try to advance it and push it to is limits.

And more than likely they'll turn it into another virtual pissing contest where arguments over how many pixels per inch of movement will become more important than the actual enjoyment of the games...

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by oogtra View Post
    Well its good to see that he isnt crying lol. The depth, is basicly how they are expirimenting with the new controls. Remember nintendo introduced motion controlled gaming to the big leagues. As he said, "they've looked at what we've done with Wii, and seen the value in that". It makes sense, because nintendo keeps introducing new ways to play. If the wii could produce better graphics maybe the age of two analog stick fps will end. Personally i find fps on the wii more fun, even if the game isnt good. The idea is genius, and its true how microsoft and sony want to keep up with the competition. All the wii needs is some better graphics and more mature games and whola, back on top.
    this is the best post i've ever read on wiichat. and he's right. the only things holding Nintendo back are the graphics, quality titles and in my opinion their online systems. the graphics are good but could be way better. there are a few quality titles but shovelware stops most from looking at them. and the friend code thing is just a waste of time. Nintendo could be on top, but only if they fix these three things.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow*91 View Post
    this is the best post i've ever read on wiichat. and he's right. the only things holding Nintendo back are the graphics, quality titles and in my opinion their online systems. the graphics are good but could be way better. there are a few quality titles but shovelware stops most from looking at them. and the friend code thing is just a waste of time. Nintendo could be on top, but only if they fix these three things.
    The Wii's online is the worst thing about the system IMHO. The grafix could be better but as we all know grafix dont make the game. There are alot of good games for the Wii. I agree with you about the shovelware but i dont think of it as crap games anymore. Its just not for us but others like these games so im glad someone is enjoying them. Your not forced to buy them so no biggy.

Last but not least Nintendo is on top.

Ads