Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wii 5.1 Output

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Wii 5.1 Output

Does anyone know if the Wii will have 5.1 support? A few sites I have seen say no, but is it possible they will add the 5.1 support as a last minute feature? Hopefully the Wii will have 5.1 output as it will add much more realism to games like Zelda: Twilight Princess, where if an enemy attacks you from your back left you'll hear the attacks from your rear-left speaker.

Wii online moderator registerednerd's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    no. They've already announced that Wii will use Dolby Pro Logic, which is strictly 2.0/2.1
    ... but what do I know?...
    Not currently accepting friend adds.

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    it dosent need 5.1
    speaker in the remote

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkprinny
    it dosent need 5.1
    speaker in the remote
    I know the Wiimote has a speaker, but having 5.1 would be better, and with the Wiimote it would be like having 6.1 sound . Hopefully it's not too late for Nintendo to change their mind and add 5.1 Output .

Member #
    Friends
    I don't know if I'm talking outta my ass here but not a lot of people have a full speaker system in their lounge, at least not enough to make proper use of a dolby 5.1 system, would it be cost effective to code that in?
    Owned: Wii, Sports, Play, LoZ:TP

Member #
    Friends
    0061-5695-7775-8491
    it honestly doesnt take a lot of time to include 5.1

Member #
    Friends
    Well obv I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to programming but dont you need to code in fade effects etc for the entire game so that it sounds realistic coming from all directions? So isnt that like doing 2 sound 'files' for the game rather than the one? I mean I have a surround sound setup at home (not at uni house unfortunately ) and while it would be cool... hang on, I always thought it was the game that decided whether or not it wanted surround etc, what's the console got to do with it :S I'm confused now. Help
    Owned: Wii, Sports, Play, LoZ:TP

Member #
    Friends
    4054-9249-4284-3802
    Quote Originally Posted by Taero
    Well obv I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to programming but dont you need to code in fade effects etc for the entire game so that it sounds realistic coming from all directions? So isnt that like doing 2 sound 'files' for the game rather than the one? I mean I have a surround sound setup at home (not at uni house unfortunately ) and while it would be cool... hang on, I always thought it was the game that decided whether or not it wanted surround etc, what's the console got to do with it :S I'm confused now. Help
    Well, yes, the programmers or sound team or whoever must put in the 5.1 Dolby Digital feature for there to be surround sound in a game; there were some games for Xbox, a console that has a digital optical out (that's true surround sound), that did not get programmed for that feature, like PsyOps is one example.

If the console doesn't have the digital optical out, it will only have matrix surround (or Dolby Pro Logic 2 which is what Wii is supposed to use) which means sound will be coming out of all the speakers, but as far as I know, it's the same sound, rather than a different sound to the left and right when, for instance someone is shooting at you from the left or right or where ever.

Hope that wasn't too confusing/too much info.
    "Whatever you do may seem insignificant, but it is most important that you do it." - GANDHI

Picture created by: NateTheGreat

Member #
    Friends
    How many games on the 5.1 compatible systems actually use the technology, not many I think, that is additional programming for each sound that turns into development time and cost that most developers will not want to deal with, the Wii-mote speaker gives depth of sound but now the developer only needs to give specific sounds 3d effect which makes it easier so more games should support it.
    If you never try you may never fail, but you will also never succeed.

Member #
    Friends
    4054-9249-4284-3802
    Quote Originally Posted by ghghgh14702
    How many games on the 5.1 compatible systems actually use the technology, not many I think, that is additional programming for each sound that turns into development time and cost that most developers will not want to deal with, the Wii-mote speaker gives depth of sound but now the developer only needs to give specific sounds 3d effect which makes it easier so more games should support it.
    All the Xbox game I have (all 7 of them; yes, I said 7) have Dolby Digital Surround Sound and it's pretty nice for racing games and Splinter Cell, but only because I have a Sony 5.1 system (only $200 but it's good for my small and strangly accoustic room).

However, I think 5.1 systems should stop being manufactured and replaced with 6.1 because things that are supposed to sound like they are directly behind me sound like they're to my back-right or back-left.

Anyway, though it is cool to be able to distinguish where someone is walking around in Splinter Cell so you know how to find them quicker, in shooting games like Halo 2, playing multiplayer with 7 other people, it isn't that helpful.

I remember playing PsyOps on Xbox, which didn't have 5.1 but instead Dolby Pro Logic 2, and it wasn't extremly noticeable.

In games like SSBB, Pro Logic Surround Sound will be more than enough.
    "Whatever you do may seem insignificant, but it is most important that you do it." - GANDHI

Picture created by: NateTheGreat

Ads