LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Sensor Bar and Infrared Noise in Room

Off and on since I got my wii I have been having problems with the cursor being jumpy and had even had a couple dead spots on my screen. I was affraid it was a defective wii. I soon put two and two together and realized most of the problems were occuring on the side of the tv next to my lit christmas tree. Turned the tree off and the problem went away.

I then did a little research and discovered that the "sensor bar" is not a sensor at all. It is an infrared light source. The actual sensor is in the wiimotes, and the wiimotes tell the wii where they are pointed by finding the light source. Therefore any potential source or reflector of infrared light can mess up the remotes so they don't know where the tv is. Things like candles, mirrors, and apparently christmas trees can affect the performance of your on-screen pointer.

There is little information about this problem, and Nintendo has said little to nothing about it. I can only assume Nintendo's silence is due to the fact it is the nature of the beast, and there is no fix for it other than be conscious of decorations in the room that can create infrared background noise.

I don't know if there is already a thread about this... I didn't see one, but I appologize if this is a repeat.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by whargoul7
    Off and on since I got my wii I have been having problems with the cursor being jumpy and had even had a couple dead spots on my screen. I was affraid it was a defective wii. I soon put two and two together and realized most of the problems were occuring on the side of the tv next to my lit christmas tree. Turned the tree off and the problem went away.

I then did a little research and discovered that the "sensor bar" is not a sensor at all. It is an infrared light source. The actual sensor is in the wiimotes, and the wiimotes tell the wii where they are pointed by finding the light source. Therefore any potential source or reflector of infrared light can mess up the remotes so they don't know where the tv is. Things like candles, mirrors, and apparently christmas trees can affect the performance of your on-screen pointer.

There is little information about this problem, and Nintendo has said little to nothing about it. I can only assume Nintendo's silence is due to the fact it is the nature of the beast, and there is no fix for it other than be conscious of decorations in the room that can create infrared background noise.

I don't know if there is already a thread about this... I didn't see one, but I appologize if this is a repeat.
    There has aleady been roughly 14372 threads about this.

Member #
    Friends
    Did you try changing the sensitivity?

Member #
    Friends
    7404-0035-3816-1331
    Same thing happened to me, only there was a lamp next to, so what I did was I moved the lamp to the right side of my TV, and moved the sensor bar below it, kept the light on and used my GTA game to cover the top half of my sensor bar. Works like a charm

Wiichats BIGGER Metal Head
    Don't listen to Mr.Resi, Chad Smith owns Thrasher!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wii_Smurf
    Just so many threads about the same problems day after day. They get on top of you like a horny prostitute

Member #
    Friends
    6031-8713-1077-8188
    Search Use It!
    iMac 2.4ghz Aluminum, 4GB iPhone, 12 iPods!

Ads