This post contains problems and bugs I have found as of version 2.0E firmware (you can see the firmware version on the top right corner of the first Wii settings page). I though it would be a good idea to do this so that people can also add to it with situations / quirks they know about. Please feel free to comment, espicially if I have got something wrong.
- If you receive a message while the unit is in standby the message counter on the Wii channels page will not reflect it when you first power on. To see what I mean simply receive a message in standby, note the message counter before you read it. Then read it and donít delete it and exit back out to the Wii channels page. You will see only now is it correctly reported.
- You cannot rearrange the address book entries the way the Wii manual says you can. You are suppost to be able to drag and drop (holding a+b) entries to different orders or move to different pages.
- There are many problems with setting up entries and emails in the address book. I personally have had no success yet in setting up Wii friends even though both Wiiís have the data added correctly. In the case of email some work and some do not, some allow you to set up with the confirmation message and some donít even allow you to get that far. Even after email confirmation there is no guarantee emails will actually be able to send (I have had this situation with 2 email addresses). I am not sure if this is a firmware problem or Nintendo server issue but it needs to be sorted. Personally users need a way of knowing that emails have actually been sent.
I want to point out here that there are many problems with the Wii Opera browser, especially with Flash. These include pages suddenly reloading from scratch, exiting out to the main browser start page and total freezing. I suspect all of these can be put down to the fact that its beta still so I tell myself not to worry about these things just yet.
- Addition of a simple message outbox for sending messages to help users know that messages have actually been sent (would greatly help in understanging why messages are not being received as mentioned above).
- Do not class the today message as one message on the main Wii channels screen (bottom right corner).
- When using the on screen keyboard allow button b (under remote) to act as shift.
- In the Internet settings add a way to see how good a wireless signal the Wii is getting.
- Simple skins changes to allow the main white color to be changed to a color of choice (if Nintendo are really worried about burn it they really should not have chosen white as the main color).
- The ability to choose how the blue tray light works. I would personally like to see the ability to have the light on when a disc is in and off when one is not (this will help stop 5 year olds trying to shove a disc in when one is already in there).
- Change the message that comes on screen after an internet connection test completes. The way it is worded makes it sound like there is an update instead of checking to see if there is an update. The same goes for the news channel message, it confuses people into thinking there is a update and an error has happened instead of there simply being no update yet..