LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by dedpoet777
    yeah id go with component for sure on the 27 inch. and to add on to what someone said earlier. yes some tube tvs do have 480p(edtv) and up to 1080i. there are now hd tube tvs up to 1080i. rca has one for 350. however 480p from the wii on a tube tv that is 4:3 is a bit stretched out. nonetheless, run the components man. they even have some at wal-mart for 20 bucks and they look just as well as the nintendo issued ones.
    I have a question (off topic): I have a upconverter dvd player. What is better: 1080i or 720p? If it matters, I have a Hi def LCD TV (Vizio 37").

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by gamechaser001
    Ok, if you want to go with the componet cables, go ahead, but, IMO there is no benefiet in using componet cables on a Wii, I think you will get a better picture using componet, but since Nintendo is into the gameplay, not grapics, they tend to drop in that area, so using the S-Video will give you the best picture that the Wii will push out
    Yeah yeah, I understand that Nintendo is into gameplay, not graphics. But if I can squeeze out as much graphical power as I can on my Wii (short of buying an HDTV), I'll do it. I got a Wii because I thought that the new controls would be awesome for FPS games (who else here is looking forward to Metroid Prime 3???). But I really need to squeeze some graphical power out of that thing because right now my five-year-old Xbox has graphics that kick the crap out of the Wii's...on an s-video connection. I guess the games will just have better graphics as time moves on, that's what always seems to happen on consoles.

Member #
    Friends
    4054-9249-4284-3802
    Quote Originally Posted by bodtchboy
    It is my understanding that hdmi cable is digital and component is high quality analog. Is this correct? If so, HDMI cable is superior and its quality does not rely on high grade components like the analog cords do.
    Yep, you are correct. Glad someone cleared that up.
    "Whatever you do may seem insignificant, but it is most important that you do it." - GANDHI

Picture created by: NateTheGreat

Member #
    Friends
    I like to call component "Digilog". It's analog, yet it syncs (like a clock) on "green".

Yeah. If anyone in here uses HDMI ever, your monopricecables or whatever Brand X cable will do just fine. Component is another story. At 480i/p it doesn't matter as much but at 720p/1080i the quality of cables can make a significant difference.

Analog signals = cable makes a difference.
    Digital signals = cable quality makes no difference.

So, for your S/PDIF and TosLink (Coaxial and Optical) interfaces for audio, respectively, cheap cables work for, too since they're digital. Coaxial MAY cut out, if there's noise in the environment (electrical noise, not screaming!). Digital = all or nothing!

If you have component, just use this for motivation: the textures will all come through clearest on component.

On the 720P 3LCD HDTV I have the Wii connected to, the component cables make a HUGE difference. Of course, that's comparing de-interlaced (by the TV) 480i scaled to 720p vs progressive 480p scaled to 720p.

Amazon looks like they have component cables from a variety of vendors. I see Nintendo and MadCatz at least. I haven't clicked on them, so I can't guarantee they actually have them.

Just search for "Wii Component Cables" (without quotes).
    Last edited by SuperH; 01-03-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    I just got the cable in the mail and I moved my Wii to the 27" tv, and I gotta say, it looks tight.

I dont really have any graphically intense games--Super Monkey Ball, Far Cry Vengeance (yuk), Elebits--but even on Monkey Ball the edges of the environment were coming out much sharper, and everything was much more crisp than with the composite cables. And on top of that, the colors looked much better than before. And this was on my 480i tube.

So anyone who has a component connection on their tv, even if the tv only displays 480i, should get the cables. For $30, there is no excuse not to. Seriously. It looks that much better.

Member #
    Friends
    2291-3059-0957-1397
    Quote Originally Posted by dds
    well i wouldnt say hdmi is better than component i would say there basically equal cause all hdmi is all the component shit in one wire for ease of use
    Not really, it might not be true, but I believe, (like somebody else here said, the message below this one), that HDMI is digital while component is analog, so since HDMI is digital, itís better, not to mention, like I said in my last post, HDMI is DVI in disguise, just a smaller connector and an added audio line so you donít need to send an audio dedicated line, component is easy too, I mean if you canít color code, go back to kindergarten
    Quote Originally Posted by bodtchboy
    It is my understanding that hdmi cable is digital and component is high quality analog. Is this correct? If so, HDMI cable is superior and its quality does not rely on high grade components like the analog cords do.
    yeah, as far as I know thatís correct
    Quote Originally Posted by rgf492
    Yeah yeah, I understand that Nintendo is into gameplay, not graphics. But if I can squeeze out as much graphical power as I can on my Wii (short of buying an HDTV), I'll do it. I got a Wii because I thought that the new controls would be awesome for FPS games (who else here is looking forward to Metroid Prime 3???). But I really need to squeeze some graphical power out of that thing because right now my five-year-old Xbox has graphics that kick the crap out of the Wii's...on an s-video connection. I guess the games will just have better graphics as time moves on, that's what always seems to happen on consoles.
    Never said you couldnít, I just said that since there isnít much of a benefiet, why waste your money on them?

No spamming referral links - Further attempts at advertising will not be tolerated. kthx

If you know anything about LEDs please put input, click on the link beliw, I can really use the help
    http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...tml#post149729

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by gamechaser001
    Never said you couldnít, I just said that since there isnít much of a benefiet, why waste your money on them?
    Ah, but there is much of a benefit. Even in 480i it looks infinitely better than the composite connection. Seriously, I tested it out like a few hours ago. Its a big difference.

Ads