Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Internet on Wii

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Internet on Wii

Hello guys, I need some help here. I'm thinking of internet-ing with my Wii and I was wondering if you guys can help with, basically... everything.

Question 1:
    What hardware will I need to buy ? (routers, cables and all that stuff - for cables name the cables: crossover or straight)

Question 2:
    Will I actually create a LAN with sharing capabilities just like it would be with a computer to computer LAN but instead the computer will only share internet access with the wii ?

Question 3:
    If I'm going to use the modem/router provided by my Internet Service Provider to create a LAN with my Wii what are the steps to enable the ports of the router (they are disabled by default I think) ? Plus I think that they won't be giving me two different IPs. Is it easy to buy a new router that has enabled switching capabilities and configure it to support your current ISP's settings ?

Lots of questions, cheers in advance.

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Well for one you don't need 2 different Ip addresses from your ISP. When you use a router you generally use a private address range(192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255 is class C private)and gives the devices on your network whatever IP you want to. Your "default gateway" will be the ip address assigned to the router. The router is in a sense the "gateway" to the WAN link(Internet).

As far as cables go, use the standard cat5e or cat6 ethernet straight-through cables.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    Thanks but could you be more thorough ? If there was an ethernet port on the wii I know I'd get a crossover cable and setup this way. Connect it ethernet (pc) to ethernet (wii) and tada. But Wii has only got usb ports, or am I wrong ?

26 sets of flat batteries Wii17's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1950-4861-6176-4135
    search, wii is wireless only untill ethernet adaptor

Currently own :
    Wii, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Need For Speed: Carbon.

(In order of purchase)

Accessories : 2 Wiimotes, 2 Nunchucks

Member #
    Friends
    I searched for my title, couldn't get any results. :-/

Does anyone know the release date for the adaptor and a price estimate ?

Member #
    Friends
    1950-4861-6176-4135
    i'd say $30US and within the next month, the ds wifi connector is better imho

Currently own :

(In order of purchase)

Member #
    Friends
    Yeah, just found out about that. All you need is an empty usb port on your pc.
    Anyone knows any websites except eBay I can get the wi-fi adaptor from ? They also have to ship worldwide. :-/

Member #
    Friends
    1950-4861-6176-4135
    got mine from target, walked in, bought it walked out that easy

Currently own :

(In order of purchase)

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by loizoskounios
    Yeah, just found out about that. All you need is an empty usb port on your pc.
    Anyone knows any websites except eBay I can get the wi-fi adaptor from ? They also have to ship worldwide. :-/

The only trouble with doing it that way is that your PC needs to be turned on in order to use your Wii online, and if you want to use the Nintendo Connect24 service, that means 24 hours a day

Personally, I would buy a Wireless modem router and let your Wii connect to that wirelessly. The router stays out of sight and permanently connected to the net. I use a Netgear DG834Gv3 which also gives you a built-in 4 port ethernet switch. This is, in my opinion, the best way of sharing your internet connection between Wii, PC (or PC's), Laptop, DS's, PSP's, etc..

Bear in mind though, that the DG834Gv3 has a built-in ADSL modem and won't work with cable broadband, only ADSL - the Cable versions are a different model number. You don't say what kind of net connection you have. However, you will have no problems with ports, firewalls, configurations or anything else if you take this path. If you eventually decide to "hard wire" your Wii via the ethernet adaptor when it comes out, the DG834Gv3 is ready for that too.
    Last edited by Goots; 01-09-2007 at 01:47 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    7791-8243-5459-4780
    I can second that wifi adapter although i dont use it. It's a snap to setup and it works provided your wii is close enough to your PC.

I prefer the wireless network myself as I've got a notebook with a wireless adapter in it as well as a secondary pc I don't want to run a 75 foot cable to. If all you need wifi for is your Wii then by all means use that adapter. If you plan on using a notebook pc or etc then get a wifi router and you wont regret it. They are more complex to setup but all far more reliable. That wifi adapter can be modded to run anything from a wii to a pc anyhow but more trouble setting it up right.

I'll give you a router suggestion and a complete setup guide if you wish to go that route let me know. But for your case so far that wifi looks to be your ideal solution.

Ads