LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Third Wii Modchip Coming Out! Even better!

Wow, I can't believe it, this one sounds like it is the best!

New WiiKey Wii Modchip Out
    I Rule

Member #
    Friends
    Awesome news, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Member #
    Friends
    6031-8713-1077-8188
    so it plays dvds?
    iMac 2.4ghz Aluminum, 4GB iPhone, 12 iPods!

Member #
    Friends
    1619-0952-0931-6224
    Quote Originally Posted by ericlewis91
    so it plays dvds?
    No! It can read backup Wii games that are burnt on either DVD+R or DVD-R style DVD's.
    IF by chance it can play DVD's, it would have to change the way the drive works entirely, and add the DVD playing feature, that'd be one hell of a chip!
    and IF they could do all that. As many many people have already said, it's probably MUCH better to just use a normal DVD player, since it will cause extra wear-and-tear on your wii (especially since the drive isn't made to go in that direction)

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by zerboxx
    No! It can read backup Wii games that are burnt on either DVD+R or DVD-R style DVD's.
    IF by chance it can play DVD's, it would have to change the way the drive works entirely, and add the DVD playing feature, that'd be one hell of a chip!
    and IF they could do all that. As many many people have already said, it's probably MUCH better to just use a normal DVD player, since it will cause extra wear-and-tear on your wii (especially since the drive isn't made to go in that direction)
    Yea, but personally I'm most excited about the upgradeability of this, particularly the chances of homebrew! If it somehow doesn't get blocked by Nintendo and it does homebrew, I'm definitely getting it.
    I Rule

Member #
    Friends
    I second that, though we usually have to wait for 3rd generation mod's for them to be truely 'safe'. Modders need to see what Nintendo do to prevent it, and what happens with the firmware then they will provide an adequate counter measure, be it a different type of mod or a hacked firmware is yet to be seen.

PSP has updateable firmware and the 'modders' don't use a chip they use a hacked version of the firmware, maybe that will happen with the Wii eventually.
    Next there will be a big hoopla about how the Wii isn't actually fun to play, as the funomoter2000 wasn't included in the hardware, Nintendo were lying to us this whole time and we weren't having 'real' fun it was all fake and tacky fun.
    proud member of -No External Links username: FedEx

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Toastie
    I second that, though we usually have to wait for 3rd generation mod's for them to be truely 'safe'. Modders need to see what Nintendo do to prevent it, and what happens with the firmware then they will provide an adequate counter measure, be it a different type of mod or a hacked firmware is yet to be seen.

PSP has updateable firmware and the 'modders' don't use a chip they use a hacked version of the firmware, maybe that will happen with the Wii eventually.
    Yea I'm running a custom firmware on my PSP actually
    I Rule

Custom User Title (TM) MaXiMiUS's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    2573-4546-5926-8361
    Quote Originally Posted by zerboxx
    As per the GameCube, (from Wikipedia):
    "A common misconception about the GameCube optical drive is that it spins the discs in reverse (counter-clockwise) compared to regular DVD-ROM drives. The peculiarity of this rumor is that one need only open the disc tray on an operating GameCube to see that the disc clearly spins clockwise as it slows to a halt."

It doesn't spin backwards at all. It reads from the outside (as in, outer rim) of the disk, inwards to the center of the disk. This doesn't mean anything voodoo like backwards data or anything crazy like that, or (as most people think) the drive spins the disk backwards.

Normal drives read from the inside, outwards, instead of from the outside, inwards. It's not a hardware thing that makes it do that, it's firmware that controls where the laser starts reading from and finishes.

Why I keep trying to explain this, I don't know. Nobody ever seems to be able to read everything I say and actually understand it..
    Owned: Excite Truck [8 GRP], Wii Sports [6G, 7R, 8P], Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess [9G, 5RP], Elebits [7GR, 5P], Wii Play [5G, 8RP], The Godfather: Blackhand Edition [10G, 9R, 7P], Super Paper Mario [8G, 6R, 5P], SSX Blur [10 GRP].
    Rented: Rayman Raving Rabbids [6G, 7R, 9P].
    Wanted: Resident Evil 4, no Wii games currently.

G = Gameplay Rating, R = Replay Value, P = Party Rating, all out of 10.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMiUS
    As per the GameCube, (from Wikipedia):
    "A common misconception about the GameCube optical drive is that it spins the discs in reverse (counter-clockwise) compared to regular DVD-ROM drives. The peculiarity of this rumor is that one need only open the disc tray on an operating GameCube to see that the disc clearly spins clockwise as it slows to a halt."

It doesn't spin backwards at all. It reads from the outside (as in, outer rim) of the disk, inwards to the center of the disk. This doesn't mean anything voodoo like backwards data or anything crazy like that, or (as most people think) the drive spins the disk backwards.

Normal drives read from the inside, outwards, instead of from the outside, inwards. It's not a hardware thing that makes it do that, it's firmware that controls where the laser starts reading from and finishes.

Why I keep trying to explain this, I don't know. Nobody ever seems to be able to read everything I say and actually understand it..
    Nice, I never knew that. So thats why you need a special drive to dump Wii games, it reads from outside in.
    I Rule

Member #
    Friends
    Just to clarify, is this a regular mod chip that will playback copied Wii games? I assume thats what Wii media playback means. Cyclowiz is supposed to come out on the 7th and costs $50 US.

Ads