LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: All things HDTV

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    The funny thing is, the ignorance of the response...
    If you had any clue about Video cables, you would not be so quick to dismiss the blaze branded wii component cables. These were available in the UK long before the official nintendo ones and are available in the high street..
    also, why are you going to pay more money just so you can have official cables?
    They are not made by nintendo, they are made by a big factory in china and Nintendo buy them for like 50p a set and simply put their name on them..
    Last edited by hdinterconnects; 02-19-2007 at 11:37 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    Get a 32'. Its cheap and a fairly sized gaming tv for multiplayer.

Member #
    Friends
    5251-2094-6508-9892
    Thanks man. Sounds just about right. Now do tvs come with different amounts of plug ins on the back? You know like some will have a spot for S Video while another will have a spot for both S-Video and Component cables. Or are all tvs suppose to be come in a certain way?

Member #
    Friends
    don't get an HD TV just for the Wii, if you have the money and the room check out some EDTV CRT's. Ask at your local electronics store about 'progressive scan CRT's' they will produce a much better picture for your Wii than an HDTV LCD or Plasma.

If you want HDTV for HDTV then go for it, the Wii looks better on EDTV.

And about the cables the dude is right, just looking at those cables I can see they are of a higher quality. Things to look for when buying cables is the metal used in this case it looks gold which is one of the best, and the thickness of the overall cable, along with other general build quality issues, seams, welds and the like.

If you get a CRT EDTV (progressive scan) then there will be inputs via component on the back. Most TV's also have a couple of scarts and maybe an S-Video.
    Next there will be a big hoopla about how the Wii isn't actually fun to play, as the funomoter2000 wasn't included in the hardware, Nintendo were lying to us this whole time and we weren't having 'real' fun it was all fake and tacky fun.
    proud member of -No External Links username: FedEx

Member #
    Friends
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    depends on what inputs you have. Progressive scan dvd players and wii should use component. svid is okay. DVI if you got a ps3 or computer you want or cable box. Every tv has composite so don't worry about that.

oh, don't worry about # of ports. just get a switcher, unless you are a person who can't stand getting up for 3 seconds

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterJedi2U
    And I should definitely get the official Nintendo ones right? Or are there better quality ones made by some 2nd or 3rd Party company?

Yes, nintendo would know how to use their own system now would't they? don't take chances with 3 party if possiable ALWAYS stick with first party, even if it costs a bit more. (more money for nintendo yay!)

Member #
    Friends
    0554-7647-3242-2709
    Just to start out please forgive me for this long post. I have no knowledge about HDTV and I've been researching online on Google, etc but I'm still a bit confused about it. The Nintendo Wii can do 480p at max and thats fine and all but I don't have a tv that is capable of that. I'm pretty sure I have CRT which is Cathode Ray Television correct? Now I'm planning on buy a new TV with some saved up money. So I have a few questions to ask and I"ll just list them out.

1) LCD v Plasma: Which is better for Videogames and general TV viewing?

2) If a TV says it can do 1080i or 1080p does that ALSO mean it can do 480p and 720p as well? OR do I have to find a TV capable of producing all those resolutions

3) What is the usual screen size for a television used for games? Especially Multiplayer.

4) After I buy the TV and setup the cable, etc. I'll need to buy some type of new cable to connect the Wii to the TV right? My question is which is better? Component or S-Video and what is the difference?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.
    All of these have been answered, but I will toss in my .02. I work HT at Best Buy (not saying I am right and you are wrong, just stating how I got my knowledge)

1. Plasma is not good for video games. LCD isn't the best either. For video games a projection TV will be the best. Projos have the highest refresh rate (cuts down on pixelation during movement), LCD's range from 4-8ms just depending on the TV, and all of the plasmas I have seen have a 4ms rate. For everyday viewing there is no answer honestly. It is all personal preference. Plasma's are brighter, but sometimes too bright and can cause the picture to look fake. If you want to go with a 1080p television you will need to go with an LCD. For a plasma 1080p you will pay $7000 if you find a good deal. A 1080p LCD will range around $1500 and up.

2. A TV is capable of all resolutions up to it's own. 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p. The premier HD broadcasts are in 720p. Nothing is broadcast in 1080p. The only thing available in 1080p is a Blu-ray movie. I am not positive if PS3 games are 1080p.

3. I use a 27" CRT. It's fine for multiplayer. Though it does get a little rough with any kind of split screen.

4. Component is going to be the best cable for the Wii. I would go ahead and go with an HDTV, get HD cable, and pick up an HDMI cable.

Proud Wii-S3 owner
    PS3: Guitar Hero III, Heavenly Sword, Lair, Oblivion, Resistance:Fall of Man, Motorstorm, Skate
    Wii: Call of Duty 3, Excite Truck, Mario Party 8, Red Steel, Sonic & the Secret Rings
    SSX Blur, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, WiiPlay, WiiSports, Zelda: Twilight Princess
    PS2: FF-X and FF-XII, Gran Turismo 4, Gretzky NHL '06, Guitar Hero II, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Shadow of the Colossus, and Sly Cooper
    DS: NEW Super Mario Bros. and Pokemon Diamond

Member #
    Friends
    5251-2094-6508-9892
    Thanks for responding Jorge. I understand what you're saying about LCD vs Plasma but I'm not sure if I would like a Projection TV. How exactly does that work. Is there even a TV involved in the normal sense? I mean its just a projector and a screen you hang in the room? Because I'm not sure I'd like that. As for the TV itself I've found some really good deals on several websites and my price range is going to be around $600-700.

I hate Playstation so I don't have to worry about that. I'm only getting 1080 b/c maybe in the future Nintendo might use graphics that require that type of resolution and TV shows might also be at that level.

I've decided to get a 27' or 32' TV so I agree with you on that note.

Thanks for that. The HDMI cable is for connection with a DVD player correct? Basically I'm getting the HDTV as opposed to EDTV because its prob whats going to be used in the future as CRT is phased out. And even if that turns out not to be the case I'll still have a nice TV that works great with games.

Member #
    Friends
    0554-7647-3242-2709
    Thanks for responding Jorge. I understand what you're saying about LCD vs Plasma but I'm not sure if I would like a Projection TV. How exactly does that work. Is there even a TV involved in the normal sense? I mean its just a projector and a screen you hang in the room? Because I'm not sure I'd like that. As for the TV itself I've found some really good deals on several websites and my price range is going to be around $600-700.

I hate Playstation so I don't have to worry about that. I'm only getting 1080 b/c maybe in the future Nintendo might use graphics that require that type of resolution and TV shows might also be at that level.

I've decided to get a 27' or 32' TV so I agree with you on that note.

Thanks for that. The HDMI cable is for connection with a DVD player correct? Basically I'm getting the HDTV as opposed to EDTV because its prob whats going to be used in the future as CRT is phased out. And even if that turns out not to be the case I'll still have a nice TV that works great with games.
    A rear projection TV, not a front projector. You know the big screen older televisions? That is a rear projection TV. Now they have projection LCD, DLP, HD-ILA, and a few others. If you don't want a projection then don't worry about the differences. Projection TV's aren't going to give you as bright of a picture, but you will be able to get a larger screen for less money. The smallest we have at work is 46" for $1300. So I am going to guess that projection is out of the picture for you.

HDMI (High Definition Media Interface) is used for any type of high-def source. Cable, satellite, Upconvert DVD players (regular DVD at near high-definition), HDDVD, Blu-ray, HD Tivo, PS3, and I could name other sources all night long.

You are correct in that HDTV will be used in the future. I strongly urge you not to buy an EDTV, and I would recommend a 32" television.
    Last edited by Jorge; 02-19-2007 at 08:20 PM.

Proud Wii-S3 owner
    PS3: Guitar Hero III, Heavenly Sword, Lair, Oblivion, Resistance:Fall of Man, Motorstorm, Skate
    Wii: Call of Duty 3, Excite Truck, Mario Party 8, Red Steel, Sonic & the Secret Rings
    SSX Blur, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, WiiPlay, WiiSports, Zelda: Twilight Princess
    PS2: FF-X and FF-XII, Gran Turismo 4, Gretzky NHL '06, Guitar Hero II, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Shadow of the Colossus, and Sly Cooper
    DS: NEW Super Mario Bros. and Pokemon Diamond

Member #
    Friends
    5251-2094-6508-9892
    IC...yeah Rear Projection might be out of my range right now but its good to know it exists out there and if I find a decent price I might get one. One final question regarding Aspect Ratio. Now it seems like a lot of them are in widescreen 16:9 but I was wondering can you change it so that it displays in the other size format? Are there some HDTV's that run in 4:3 or whatever the alternative size is? And what is the difference if any? I'd rather my TV screen be full of images rather than be half black just to get a less than significant clearer image.

Ads