Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: All things HDTV

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5574-4537-7049-7984
    Do retailers even sell EDTVs? If I'm looking to get a HDTV, but I would rather buy one that supports all resolutions than just a 720p or 1080i. An EDTV CRT sounds like a good choice for now, so can anyone recommend one?

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    0554-7647-3242-2709
    Yes retailers sell EDTV's. IMO they look no better than SDTV.

There is no TV that supports only one resolution, well besides standard-definition CRT televisions. If a TV supports a higher resolution then it will also support ANY resolution below it.

For a CRT I would suggest Samsung or Sharp. They are a good quality television without paying the price of a Sony.

Proud Wii-S3 owner
    PS3: Guitar Hero III, Heavenly Sword, Lair, Oblivion, Resistance:Fall of Man, Motorstorm, Skate
    Wii: Call of Duty 3, Excite Truck, Mario Party 8, Red Steel, Sonic & the Secret Rings
    SSX Blur, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, WiiPlay, WiiSports, Zelda: Twilight Princess
    PS2: FF-X and FF-XII, Gran Turismo 4, Gretzky NHL '06, Guitar Hero II, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Shadow of the Colossus, and Sly Cooper
    DS: NEW Super Mario Bros. and Pokemon Diamond

Member #
    Friends
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterJedi2U
    IC...yeah Rear Projection might be out of my range right now but its good to know it exists out there and if I find a decent price I might get one. One final question regarding Aspect Ratio. Now it seems like a lot of them are in widescreen 16:9 but I was wondering can you change it so that it displays in the other size format? Are there some HDTV's that run in 4:3 or whatever the alternative size is? And what is the difference if any? I'd rather my TV screen be full of images rather than be half black just to get a less than significant clearer image.
    Rear projection pwns anyway, if you can handle the size on floor.

Get a widescreen (or even better, 4:3 letterbox). going to the opposite aspect will put black bars on either the top and bottom or the sides. Letterbox will skew both to fit in the whole screen but you don't notice it as bad. I hate boxes. they also wears the screen bad. There are 4:3 hd's but not many

don't buy sony whatever you do ha ha, don't give them money. I like magnavox, really cheap

Member #
    Friends
    0554-7647-3242-2709
    Westinghouse is also a very good TV for the price.

Proud Wii-S3 owner
    PS3: Guitar Hero III, Heavenly Sword, Lair, Oblivion, Resistance:Fall of Man, Motorstorm, Skate
    Wii: Call of Duty 3, Excite Truck, Mario Party 8, Red Steel, Sonic & the Secret Rings
    SSX Blur, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, WiiPlay, WiiSports, Zelda: Twilight Princess
    PS2: FF-X and FF-XII, Gran Turismo 4, Gretzky NHL '06, Guitar Hero II, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Shadow of the Colossus, and Sly Cooper

Member #
    Friends
    0554-7647-3242-2709
    How much better do the component cables look compared to the composite? I was considering buying a set to keep hooked up to my parents TV since mine doesn't have component input. Though I do plan on buying a new TV as soon as I can. I'm trying to save up for a 52" Sharp Aquos LCD to upgrade from my 27" Magnavox CRT.

Proud Wii-S3 owner

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    How much better do the component cables look compared to the composite?
    There have been dozens of threads on this forum about that, but I'll repost the 'meat and potatoes' of those threads. Btw, Pictures > Text:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162297/p-2.html

http://www.lawrenceingraham.com/?p=38

http://pix.blakespot.com/view/comput..._vs_component/

And I should definitely get the official Nintendo ones right? Or are there better quality ones made by some 2nd or 3rd Party company?
    Here, watch this video and the professional broadcast engineer will explain the differences between retail component cables and give an in depth look at what's actually inside those wires:

http://revision3.com/systm/avcabling
    Crazy? Crazy!? I'm not crazy, I'm just not user friendly! - Roberto

Member #
    Friends
    5251-2094-6508-9892
    Okay wtf does "pwns" mean!? I mean people keep saying it and I have no clue what they're talking about. It is it akin to owns or dominates? I mean seriously this is kinda freaking me out.

And yeah I'm not giving Sony any of my money although I'll admit that some of their tvs are delicious eye candy. And I'm going to get a TV thats capable of both Aspect Ratios just in case I prefer 1 over the other. It'll be awhile before I start shopping for it but I wanted to do some preliminary research right now in prep for it. Thanks to everyone whos answered so far. I'm definitely printing the whole thread out so I can reference it later.

Member #
    Friends
    1) LCD v Plasma: Which is better for Videogames and general TV viewing?
    LCD for gaming and Plasma for TV. Sure LCD's may have a slower response time than projection TVs (mentioned earlier by someone else), but coming from a guy who has both a LCD monitor and a LCD HDTV trust me, you will never experience ghosting problems; unless you buy a TV/monitor with a response time >8ms. Just make sure you get a TV with a higher contrast ratio (the ratio of the brightness and darkest color the TV is capable of producing - white/black), if you get one with a lower ratio sometimes blacks actually appear grayish and colors just aren't as defined.

2) If a TV says it can do 1080i or 1080p does that ALSO mean it can do 480p and 720p as well? OR do I have to find a TV capable of producing all those resolutions
    Most of the time, yes. Although I would be sure to check before I threw down a couple hundred if not thousands of dollars first. Almost all TRUE HDTVs are capable of at least 480p/720p/1080i nowadays.

3) What is the usual screen size for a television used for games? Especially Multiplayer.
    Like some people have said before a 32" seems like a good size. A friend of mine has a 27" samsung hdtv and my samsung hdtv is a 32".

4) After I buy the TV and setup the cable, etc. I'll need to buy some type of new cable to connect the Wii to the TV right? My question is which is better? Component or S-Video and what is the difference?
    Component is the best (not just for the Wii, but for the 360 as well). S-Video is limited to 480i (standard definition) while the component cables for the Wii can do 480p and the component cables for the 360 can do up to 1080p/i. For the 360 just make sure you set your resolution to the native resolution of your television. For those of you wondering, VGA for 360 can only do up to 720p. So for the Wii go with component and if you/anyone else has a 360 you just have to decide between component or VGA. VGA is more sharp/crisp, but component has brighter/bolder colors.

Member #
    Friends
    0554-7647-3242-2709
    Okay wtf does "pwns" mean!? I mean people keep saying it and I have no clue what they're talking about. It is it akin to owns or dominates? I mean seriously this is kinda freaking me out.

And yeah I'm not giving Sony any of my money although I'll admit that some of their tvs are delicious eye candy. And I'm going to get a TV thats capable of both Aspect Ratios just in case I prefer 1 over the other. It'll be awhile before I start shopping for it but I wanted to do some preliminary research right now in prep for it. Thanks to everyone whos answered so far. I'm definitely printing the whole thread out so I can reference it later.
    Back in the olden days there would be typos. Someone would go to type "own" and would type "pwn" hence the birth of pwn.

You may not want go give Sony your money...until you go look at their Bravia XBR series LCD flat panels. They are ungodly expensive, but amazingly splendiforously gorgeous.

Proud Wii-S3 owner

Member #
    Friends
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Ha ha, typing pwn has become second nature to me. I once put it in a school paper and spell check didn't find it. At least the teacher was tech-savvy and didn't mark it down

Ads