LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    if the wii can only go 480i with av cables is 480p with components that big a difference?

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by lechonlubber
    Ridewithme38: That's a conventional standard definition tube TV, that won't work with a progressive scan input.
    Thanks for the INFO lechonlubber!! you just saved me $10-$40!!

I was wondering the same thing Turtle112 so i looked up the difference between 480i and 480p

I believe i means interlaced which basicly means it 240lines then 1/20th of a second later it kind of adds that next 240lines

and P means Progressive which basicly means it shows all 480lines at once...

And thats all i could figure out..

heres a quote from a random website
    "The "i" and "p" refer to interlaced or progressive scanned images as described above. 480i is considered "standard" definition television and is the image we have all enjoyed for well over half a century. With new digital technology this 480i image can result in a very respectable picture quality for the viewer.

Take a 480i image and show both fields simultaneously and you have 480p, or progressive. This is the native format encoded onto a DVD (Digital Versatile Disc). Both 480i and 480p are based upon the standard 525 line NTSC broadcast system."

Member #
    Friends
    0376-6435-4668-9489
    though the wii is only 480i or p ( cant remember) they might come out with games or upgrades for 720 or even but not likely 1080i or p...cause my dad has a 55" 1080p and i really want to use the wii on there!!!
    -=Join the Waluigi Fan Club (WFC)=-

~Join the Zelda Fan Club (ZFC)~

Member #
    Friends
    0376-6435-4668-9489
    man you guys are smart ( or just coppy crap from google )
    -=Join the Waluigi Fan Club (WFC)=-

~Join the Zelda Fan Club (ZFC)~

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle112
    if the wii can only go 480i with av cables is 480p with components that big a difference?
    Just switching from composite to component will make a big difference...even at 480i. You can see the difference with a DVD player. This is especially true if you have a good quality display. 480p is actually showing double the number of lines per frame. So if you have a display capable of 480p your getting the most you can out of the Wii. There's a comparison on the net somewhere that has pictures of the difference on the Wii. I'll post it when I find them.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridewithme38
    Take a 480i image and show both fields simultaneously and you have 480p, or progressive. This is the native format encoded onto a DVD (Digital Versatile Disc). Both 480i and 480p are based upon the standard 525 line NTSC broadcast system."
    Glad I could help you save money!

You are correct about 480i meaning interlaced and how it's taking 2 images and interlacing them together. This is why you don't see a lot of people wearing vertically striped clothing on TV, the effect of interlacing gives you that jagged edge effect on straight lines. It's also why when you take a picture of the screen with a camera you only get the top or bottom of the image. DVD is actually 480i natively, this is a big misunderstanding in the industry right now. It all has to do with the old 3:2 pulldown used to transfer film to TV. On the DVD data stream there are flags that tell the player where to interlace the images. A progressive scan DVD player just reads the flags differently and takes the two images and displays it as one solid image. It then repeats certain images to give you the proper frame rate.

I highly doubt the Wii will ever go over 480p, the hardware is just not powerful enough.

Member #
    Friends
    Found this via Digg: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162297/p-2.html

You can see the difference in the level of detail between component and composite.

Member #
    Friends
    Good info Lechonlubber!
    Just one more question..is the that the difference between 480i on composite and 480p on component or just 480i on both?

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridewithme38
    Good info Lechonlubber!
    Just one more question..is the that the difference between 480i on composite and 480p on component or just 480i on both?
    Component will look better than composite no matter what the resolution. That comparison from the link must be 480i composite vs 480p component. The reason component looks better, even at 480i, is that it separates out the signals and gives you more bandwidth. BTW...the colored plugs on a component cable doesn't mean it separates red green and blue. It actually separates the color info from the b&w info and the sync signals. It separates luminance into one signal and chrominance into two signals.

Member #
    Friends
    Wow lechonlubber! This is great info!!
    You may have just reconvinced me to buy the component cables!!

Now it all comes down to if i buy cooking Mama for the girlfriend this week or the component cables for me =)

Ads