LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Component Cable Question...

I know I know use the search...this has been talked about a million times..i just can't find anything on my specific question..

Ok i'm a very very broke college student who bought the Wii because he loved the fact he could get $9-$10 games at gamestop for it(GameCube games) But i still want to get the best picture quality i can get from it...heres my question

I've got my Wii plugged into my DVD/VCR in Input 1 with composite cables(White-red-yellow) but my DVD/VCR is plugged into my TV with Component cables...
    DVD/VCR is a Sansui VRDVD4005..(DVD Recorder don't know the resolution it puts out)
    TV is a Cheap Insignia 24"(Can't find specifics on 480i or 480p)

So Would i be getting Composite Video Quality or Component Video Quality from this setup...I'm soo confused!

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    You definitely need to get a set of Wii component cables to get component the whole way through to the TV

For cheap cables, you may try the link in this thread (I haven't tried it)

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...9-shipped.html
    Last edited by Raij; 03-07-2007 at 11:33 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    Cool i'll check that thead out...i'm just really poor and hoping the dvd/vcr would sort of upconvert ya know?

I don't even know if my TV can handle 480p or if its a strictly 480i TV

Member #
    Friends
    5537-0855-7535-2075
    in my experience, whatever system you have, audio, visual, data etc, you can only get a good end product from a good source..... so if your dvd is getting a composite input the output won't ever be component quality. as Raij said, seek out component cables! BUT, some VC content wont work over them so don't ditch the composites just yet......

Member #
    Friends
    4076-9395-0234-2025
    Heres a confusing question I have on the Component Cables but here goes.
    My TV has choices for different scan modes, 'Default', 'Auto', 'Progressive' and '100Hz'. When I select 'Progressive' and use my Wii, it flickers MORE than before (which didnt really flicker at all). My question is, if I get these component cables and put my TV on Progressive will the flicker go away (and have better image quality)? Or is my TV just a piece of shit?
    BTW, the signal runs from a Surround Sound decoder, then into the TV, and i think the cables from the decoder to the TV are NOT Component Cables, will this remove any gain I'd have in image quality?
    Thanks for any comments...

"If I had a dollar bill for everytime I was wrong, I'd be a self-made millionaire and I wouldn't be singing..."

Member #
    Friends
    That seems right Deanis...the component cables give the Wii the ability to output progressive scan video...if you plug the wii in through the component cables on the back of your TV and set the tv for progressive it will look great!
    go for it!

What i've been trying to figure out for the past week or so is if my TV can even put out 480P...i've got an insignia IS-TV040922 it does have a component hookup on the back...but i don't think that necessarily means anything..if any of you guys know anything about this TV please let me know...damn manual doesn't tell me anything!

Member #
    Friends
    4076-9395-0234-2025
    Yer my actual TV doesnt have a Component Input either. Only our Surround Sound Decoder does.

"If I had a dollar bill for everytime I was wrong, I'd be a self-made millionaire and I wouldn't be singing..."

Member #
    Friends
    Ridewithme38: That's a conventional standard definition tube TV, that won't work with a progressive scan input.

Deanis: By Surround Sound Decoder I take it you mean it's a receiver. If your connection from the receiver to the TV is composite then it won't work with component from the Wii. If it's HDMI, then it's possible that the receiver can transcode component to HDMI. More details (make & models) about the hardware is needed.

Member #
    Friends
    4076-9395-0234-2025
    Yer i see your point, and by that it means NO it wont work
    I COULD get an HDMI cable first tho, mebbe later.

Member #
    Friends
    2291-3059-0957-1397
    Quote Originally Posted by Raij
    You definitely need to get a set of Wii component cables to get component the whole way through to the TV

For cheap cables, you may try the link in this thread (I haven't tried it)

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...9-shipped.html
    I just ordered the cables last friday, I should be getting them tommorrow

I'd say go with componet cables if you are looking for the best image, and for $10, no tax, free shipping, it's an awesome deal, they should work on an SD television, i'll try them on my SD bigscreen sometime, I got them for my HDTV, but I might use it on my SD time by time

No spamming referral links - Further attempts at advertising will not be tolerated. kthx

If you know anything about LEDs please put input, click on the link beliw, I can really use the help
    http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...tml#post149729

Ads