LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Dolby Pro Logic II but how?

So someone explain to me how you can get DPL II surround sound when the Wii only has LEFT & RIGHT audio outputs?

2. Ads

Lip
    Member #
    Friends
    8299-0539-5252-8260
    have a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic
    I think all pro logic does is turn stereo sound into 5.1.. Ive got my Wii connected to my Logitech Z-5500 and it does a pretty good job at turning it into 5.1 tennis sounds good when the mii cheers it comes out of the rear speakers sound like im really there lol....
    It would of been better if nintendo could of put and optical cable slot in then we could of had full 5.1 or even DTS but from what ive read prologic is a cheaper way..

Member #
    Friends
    I have the same speakers how do you have yours set up? I have the Wii going into the audio input on the right side of the control panel....

Quote Originally Posted by Lip
    have a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic
    I think all pro logic does is turn stereo sound into 5.1.. Ive got my Wii connected to my Logitech Z-5500 and it does a pretty good job at turning it into 5.1 tennis sounds good when the mii cheers it comes out of the rear speakers sound like im really there lol....
    It would of been better if nintendo could of put and optical cable slot in then we could of had full 5.1 or even DTS but from what ive read prologic is a cheaper way..

Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    ya 5.1 has been around before HDMI or Coax digital audio anyway... all 5.1 is is stereo sound split up.. there is no thing as true surround sound its all just digital enhanced stereo... they dont have 5 boom mics on a set on each side to get your surround sound... its all in the decoder... so if you have surround sound with D 5.1 all you do is plug in the left and right,hdmi,coax cable into it and it will inturn decode it as surround sound breaking up the stereo into 5 channels gives you the illusion of surround sound... the only place your gonna find "real" surround sound is at an IMAX theater... no one else waste the money or time on it.. its just software...

Lip
    Member #
    Friends
    8299-0539-5252-8260
    ive got it in the back connected to the rear on the 6 channel with the switch on stereo 1-3. ive also pluged the 3 way cable what came with them in to the front and sub even tho they arent connected to anything for some reason it make it all louder...
    you get the same effect from the audio input on the side i just use the back cos my mp3 player is in the side

Member #
    Friends
    Thanks for the details everyone put about DPL II. I sorta knew that already, I was just wondering how the Wii does it with just LEFT & RIGHT.

LIP --- I have mine plugged into the side and I don't really hear much to the rears, what "effect" setting do you use on the Logitech with the Wii??

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by wezeles
    ....the only place your gonna find "real" surround sound is at an IMAX theater... no one else waste the money or time on it.. its just software...
    Why do you say this? How is the sound from an IMAX movie any different than that of a digital movie in a theater?

Lip
    Member #
    Friends
    8299-0539-5252-8260
    Ive just tried it in the side and i get the same sound as i do in the back
    I have it on PL music.. Have you changed the sound settings to surround in the wii settings menu

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Lip
    Ive just tried it in the side and i get the same sound as i do in the back
    I have it on PL music.. Have you changed the sound settings to surround in the wii settings menu
    Yeah I have changed it on the Wii, I have been using the 6 Ch Direct for the Wii, I will try the PL music.

Member #
    Friends
    2291-3059-0957-1397
    Quote Originally Posted by wezeles
    ya 5.1 has been around before HDMI or Coax digital audio anyway... all 5.1 is is stereo sound split up.. there is no thing as true surround sound its all just digital enhanced stereo... they dont have 5 boom mics on a set on each side to get your surround sound... its all in the decoder... so if you have surround sound with D 5.1 all you do is plug in the left and right,hdmi,coax cable into it and it will inturn decode it as surround sound breaking up the stereo into 5 channels gives you the illusion of surround sound... the only place your gonna find "real" surround sound is at an IMAX theater... no one else waste the money or time on it.. its just software...
    Ok, some information in here is correct, while the other half, well, you really haven't researched the information

5.1 surround sound means there are 6 speakers total, 5 normal speakers, center/left/right/rear right/rear left, and 1 sub only speaker, and since the sub is only like 1/3 of an average speaker (sub/mid/tweeter), it's only a .1 speaker

Older decoders, like ADCOM for example (I give this brand given my stepfather's decoder is an ADCOM), did exactly as you said, took the standard stereo connections and decoded the rear and center sounds out of the stereo sounds

Now for the thing you say about that there is only 2 booms for recording in stereo only, that is incorrect, even in the time when there was no coax, fiber optic, or HDMI audio, it depends on the subject, for example, if it's a commercial or infomercial (<spellings?)all you are recording is the subject, the person in the entertainment, which means you only care about the audio from that person, so that only uses 1 boom for recording, for specific stereo recording, there are 2 booms, but for something recorded for surround sound, there are 5 different booms recording, the 5 different channels are still on the media storage (CD, tape, DVD, etc.), but still goes through the stereo cabling and relies on the decoder to separate the center and the rear channels, the same thing happens when you have a mono television, the left and right channels are joined together and the right signal is more silent than the left, same thing goes for 7.1 surround sound, the 7.1 media is recorded with 7 different booms, or whatever microphone they use for that entertainment (and yes, there is a surround standard with 7 speakers, standard 3 in front, but 4 in rear)

Now for newer media and decoder units that have HDMI, coax, fiber optic, etc., the 5.1 or 7.1 channels of audio are on the media in the 5 or 7 different channels they are in, and the decoder dosen't have to decypher the audio from the stereo cables, therefore you have higher quality audio

No spamming referral links - Further attempts at advertising will not be tolerated. kthx

If you know anything about LEDs please put input, click on the link beliw, I can really use the help
    http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...tml#post149729

Ads