+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5976-8685-8380-4889
    Quote Originally Posted by ciper
    dchao:
    Again wrong. Component video uses a color difference formula to display the 4 components of the picture over three wires. The "green" cable carries the black and white picture (luma) plus the sync. This is exactly the same as Svideo. The difference comes in that three seperate channels of color can be carried over the other two cables. One has the all the blue information minus the chroma while the other carries all the red information minus chroma. A formula is applied to these three signals to obtain 4 seperate channels of picture + red + green + blue.
    that's exactly what I said. As far as I know they are Red Green and Blue? Are you retarded or something?
    Nintendo Support Help

-No External Links

Member #
    Friends
    5976-8685-8380-4889
    Quote Originally Posted by ciper
    Bull. That is not what you said. You told the guy that he "don't know what you are talking about" and that the component cable was better than the RGB SCART connection he was using. Component cables and 480p are not exclusive. The Wii component video is NOT RGB.
    I never said anything about a component cable being better than a RGB scart being. I don't have scart if you read the entire post. I said that RGB component cable is better than the standard cable that comes with the Wii if you TV supports 408P. Get your facts straight
    Nintendo Support Help

-No External Links

wanna talk cfb? let's go. allsport21's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by dchao
    AllSport,

Go to the Wii settings.

You need to change both :

1) widescreen settings (16:9)

2) TV resolution (480P)

Now go to the TV and change the "aspect ratio" for your Wii video input in to "FULL"

There should be a BIG difference
    excitedly, i tried out your settings suggestions, but now it seems i'm getting the jagged line effect that others were talking about. now i'm perplexed. btw what is the difference between 480i and 480p?
    How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?
    Wii: PS3: PSP: GC: PS2: GBSP: GBA: DC: PS: GB: TG: A2600

Member #
    Friends
    7002-2691-0805-1516
    Quote Originally Posted by dchao
    AllSport,

Go to the Wii settings.

You need to change both :

1) widescreen settings (16:9)

2) TV resolution (480P)

Now go to the TV and change the "aspect ratio" for your Wii video input in to "FULL"

There should be a BIG difference
    you dont need to change the screen size to widescreen.

p.s: even if a wii game isn't "EDTV/HDTV Compatible (loz: TP) will it look better when you wii is in 480p?

Pokemon Diamond: 3608 8338 6172

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Retman
    p.s: even if a wii game isn't "EDTV/HDTV Compatible (loz: TP) will it look better when you wii is in 480p?
    whoa! you mean to tell me that there are some games that are and are NOT HDTV COMPATIBLE? wow... i really need to read some of these directions. in answering your question, i did set it to 480p and that's when i started to see the lines becoming jagged (or slightly pixelated).

Member #
    Friends
    Right now, there is nothing you can do about the jaggy lines. Wii is not a high specs gaming console, it doesn't have sophisticated hardware to smooth lines. Inside the wii, it's basically a GameCube with a faster processor.

The smoothing of the lines was not needed on the old GC because most players use the old video cable and the old cable provided the line smoothing (not by design).

Now the component cable can deliver such clarity of pictures, you can see the flaws in the old hardware.

But overall, I still think it's a good investment, because it makes the picture much more colorful, better contrast, (oh well it's little too sharp too).

All Wii game are HDTV 480P compatible, but some GC games are not (if they don't have the progressive scan logo). In that case, the console will just switch to 480I, but you'll still get better colors/contrast than the old video cable (which the sharpness and color info are squeezing into one signal channel).
    Last edited by dchao; 05-03-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    thanks for that info dchao! that makes a lot of sense.

Member #
    Friends
    7002-2691-0805-1516
    not all wii games are EDTV/HDTV compatible.

Look at the logo on Red steel, i clearly says it is then look at wii sports....no logo.

Pokemon Diamond: 3608 8338 6172

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Wii_Tard
    that's exactly what I said. As far as I know they are Red Green and Blue? Are you retarded or something?
    You are not right. The signals are NOT red green and blue over the Wii component cables. They are chroma/sync plus two color difference signals. If you were right I wouldn't have needed a 100$ Key Digital RGB to Component video converter to get 480P from my Dreamcast to my HD set!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Wii_Tard
    I never said anything about a component cable being better than a RGB scart being. I don't have scart if you read the entire post. I said that RGB component cable is better than the standard cable that comes with the Wii if you TV supports 408P. Get your facts straight
    EVILFOXHOUND said:
    "Anyway, upon testing them both on my 26" HDTV, I noticed that SCART actually gives a slightley better picture quality in 480i than the Component gives in 480p"
    And you replied with
    "Are you crazy? If your TV is able to play 480P then you want to get a cable that allows you to display that. You have no idea what your talking about. Get a component cable for any TV that displays 480P"

So it sounds like YOU didnt read the thread.

Member #
    Friends
    is this still going on?

think bottom line is if you've got a tv that has component inputs then you should buy component cables if you want a better picture quality.

if you've got s-video as an input then buy s-video cables, still better than composite.

if you've got composite only then you shouldn't even be reading this thread unless you plan on getting a new tv with component inputs.

and finally, if you've got RF (think that's what it's called) then GOD help you.
    jk: find a RF switch/adapter/converter...

Ads