LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Japanese Wii Virtual Console in UK

Greetings all. My apologies if this post if in the wrong section (I wasn't sure if Virtual Console connectivity questions should come under the VC section or Hardware issues...) Also, I'm sure this question has been asked and answered elsewhere, but I couldn't come up with anything quickly after searching. One post did mention that a Japanese Wii could connect to the Internet outside of Japan (I think the country was South Korea).

I am considering buying a Japanese Wii because I want to have access to the Virtual Console games unreleased in Western countries. I am studying Japanese and whatnot, so language issues within the games are less of a problem, though playing English games will be something I'll have to address later.

My question is, has anybody had first-hand experience or can say for sure that a Japanese Wii can connect to and download games from the Virtual Console from the U.K (outside Asia). I realise purchasing Wii points by credit card with be another problem, but I have read that you can now buy prepaid cards online to get around this problem... Is this the case?

Also, anybody else who owns a Japanese Wii and uses it abroad (especially Europe, where voltage differences need to be addressed), any advice about transformers (etc) will be appreciated ^_^

Thanks in advance!

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    i saw a youtube video of some people buying and playing wii vc games from different regions...

it involved changing your settings of what country you were in, then having to run an update, then play what you like

(iirc that is.... gimme a sec and i'll see if i can find it for you)

EDIT - ok, found what i was looking for, but unfortunately it sounds like it wont work for you.... something about japanese wiis not having the option to change country..

have a look anyway, sorry if its teasing
    Last edited by GaryT85; 05-09-2007 at 03:57 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    Thanks for your help.

*Nods. I read you cannot change the country to a Western one on a Japanese Wii, and as such news and whatnot have to remain in Japanese and I'll only be able to access the Japanese Virtual Console service, not the U.K one. I am not concerned about that, my concern is whether being physically located in the U.K while having my Wii set to Japanese will affect the Virtual Console buying and downloading ability..?
    Last edited by Tremor; 05-09-2007 at 04:14 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I imagine your from UK. Why not get a UK console. I mean so much hassle just for the VC?

It's your choice but im just saying

No Longer Have A Wii

Member #
    Friends
    Of course it's sensible, but I wanted to purchase Japanese games to improve my Japanese ability and because of the (allegedly vast) amount of games unavailable to European users (both standard Wii and virtual Console games) that are available in Japan, I was leaning more towards buying a Japanese one. And not to mention, the price is far cheaper than the U.K due to the strong pound and weak yen at the moment and that I happen to be in Japan now...
    Last edited by Tremor; 05-09-2007 at 04:42 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    7552-0755-2203-9545
    i live in the US and would like to play VC from Japan and the UK (since the UK has more titles than we do). Is this even possible?

thanks for the help.

Member #
    Friends
    I have never tried a japanese wii in the uk but you can get a stepdown transformer for the power http://www.euronetwork.co.uk/acatalo...nsformers.html

I doubt they would lock the VC by IP, but if they did you could route your wii through a proxy server so it appears you are coming from japan. Some here
    http://www.aliveproxy.com/proxy-list....aspx/Japan-jp

You can purchase points here http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-19-49-...nts-43-bs.html

Member #
    Friends
    Interesting information gbesta, thanks. ^_^

I have never tried routing through a proxy before, let alone on a Wii. Would it be simple do you think?

The points and transformer sites are also well appreciated for future reference, thanks.

Please keep replies coming. I would still like to hear from someone who knows about this first-hand and any problems and such they have encountered.

Member #
    Friends
    This might help on the proxy server

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...t=proxy+server

You can either add the proxy into the wii or use a pc or router to route traffic. As I said I doubt they block IP's but they may do

Member #
    Friends
    i see, i kind of misinterpreted the question

something which may be good for you to hear, my uncle got his wii in america, and his online works fine here in the UK

hopefully there should be no difference...

Ads