LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Most open source modchips cost like $3 and does the exact same as the $40 WiiKey. It requires 5 wires to solder and there's no way for Nintendo to 'patch' it since it's only hacking the DVD drive and the DVD drive is not upgradeable. There are new Wii's that has newer chip or solder points removed but it only start to show up recently.

The Wii has no warranty sticker on it and thus noway of Nintendo to prove it's been open. And I have heard of people successfully getting their replaced by Nintendo even there are very obvious signs of failed modchip attempt.

I'm not encouraging modchips, just stating some facts.
    F U Pikachu

Member #
    Friends
    The latest Wii in the Asian market has 3 legs on an IC chip cut off right at the chip. Those legs were connected to the solder points on the circuit board. One may still mod it but it is a lot more difficult. One may need to sand down the plastic on the chip to expose the legs. Those sold in Europe and US market are not affected yet.
    Last edited by billcsho; 06-05-2007 at 08:00 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    Buddy, the question is pretty simple: if you leave in Europe or in the US, dont bother installing a modchip because you can purchase games ate reasonable prices.

If you live ELSEWHERE, by all means, DO get a modchip installed.

Usually, americans and europeans complain about all that piracy blah blah blah, but unfortunately their vision is restricted to their own reality, and they dont understand that some places in the world you NEED to use pirated game simply because stores dont sell original games, and online purchase is absurdely expensive.

Member #
    Friends
    Having installed 7 wii mod chips now (friends and family) I can tell you that the install is both easy (depending on the chip you buy) and painless. It'll take you longer to open the wii (take out the screws, open the case) than it does to install the chip.

1. Wii can be used online
    2. No bricking of the wii. Install is super easy (depending again on the chip)
    3. VC games work, no problesm.
    4. WiiConnect no issues. It's as if the chip was not even there
    5. Update done to 3 wii consoles after chip installed, no issues, chip is not detected at all

You'll have no problems playing it. Japanese Wii games work without issue. PAL Wii game from Europe have some issues loading, but you can set the region of you buy a chip that has a settings disc included.

As for the warranty.. There are no warranty stickers, install is fairly easy, even if you're not very handy with a soldering iron)... Also, remember that your warranty is ONLY good for 90 days, so anytime after that, opening your Wii has no effect on your warranty anyway, as the warranty period is over.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
    ===========================
    Pimped Wii Console in Chrome Case
    WiiKey Mod Chip - Bought From
    -No External Links
    Xbox 360 (Yes.. I do play it ;-) )

Member #
    Friends
    I saw a youtube video that did the mod from opening the case to turning it back on within 10 minutes or so.
    The Wii games cost mostly $30-$50 a piece here in the US (a couple are $20 or less though). But I would not buy it if they are not on sale with at least 15% off because I know a store that has 15% off almost every month.
    Last edited by billcsho; 06-05-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    BillScho: Look on the ebay stores. Ive purchased shrinkwrapped games for 15-25 less than the store. Not sure how they do it.

Member #
    Friends
    Which game and how much? Circuit City has Mario Party 8 on sale for $30 last week. That is $20 below regular price. Many stores have dropped the prices of some Wii games by $20 to $30 already while other stores still selling at full price. The cheapest I saw was FarCry at $9 in Costco.
    Last edited by billcsho; 06-05-2007 at 08:35 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by ciper
    BillScho: Look on the ebay stores. Ive purchased shrinkwrapped games for 15-25 less than the store. Not sure how they do it.
    Anybody can shrink wrap
    F U Pikachu

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Evi1d33d
    Anybody can shrink wrap
    Fine nit picker
    Look on the ebay stores. Ive purchased brand new games for 15-25 less than the store. Not sure how they do it.

Member #
    Friends
    Again, can you list some of the game you got there with price? I am a deal watcher and I keep track where and when to get the best deal on game. Very often, others get the same deal resell them on eBay.

Ads