+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: s-video

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8823-1592-8211-4144
    Quote Originally Posted by billcsho
    S-video output is only marginally better than the composite. If you have component input on your TV, definitely go for it. If something is already taking the component input, get a switch box. I am waiting for my component cable to hook up to my projector, so I am using the S-video for the time being and keep the composite for the standard TV.
    i keep my wii in my basement which is pretty big, but that only has composite and s video (and component too, which is being used and i dont want to get a switch box.) i have component in an average sized room, do i have enough room to play wii?

Member #
    Friends
    Are you using a TV or projector? If you don't want to get a switch box, then you have no other choice. A component switch box can be cheap though. Basically, you can use a SIMPLE AV switch box with Yellow/Red/White RCA ports. Just make sure you are consistent in color subsitition at the connections.
    In the weekends, I set up my Wii in the family room with a projector that put an 80" image on the wall. It is very good for playing tennis in large open space. I can tell the difference between composite and S-video, but the cost of the S-video cable is not much cheaper (even more expensive sometimes) than the component one. You may get a component cable for Wii at PCMicro for $9 shipped.

Member #
    Friends
    Hey guys, im confused here.
    I thought the component cable was the best way to get the best picture and audio out of the wii. Now people are saying that an s video can be better?
    Which is actually going to give you the best performance?

Member #
    Friends
    Read carefully. No one said S-video is better than component. Audio is the same no matter which video out option you choose. Don't mix up composite with component.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by ciper
    SVideo is significantly better than composite.
    It depends how do you define "significant". I have tried S-video and composite on an XGA projector and on a TV. In either case, the S-video is only slightly better. That is also what I read some other reviews too.

Member #
    Friends
    If you take the 3 most common connection types in the US -

1 Composite
    2 Svideo
    3 Component

Their is a bigger improvement from 1 to 2 than from 2 to 3

Member #
    Friends
    5126-5415-9694-6362
    I have a standard TV - Not HD or ED. I use non-nintendo S-Video cables. The quality is defiantly improved. It is worth buying in my opinion.

Friend Code: 5126-5415-9694-6362
    Mario Strikers Charged FC: 253509 863996

Member #
    Friends
    I just hooked up my new s-video cable to my standard 24" Toshiba last night and I would call it a small but noticeable difference from composite.

Like an earlier poster, my one and only component hook-up is already occupied (DVD player), so the s-video was the best I could offer my Wii.

I'd say it is worth it for the small increase in picture quality and equally worth it for the piece of mind it offers me.

Member #
    Friends
    It seems the consensus is the difference between S-video and composite video output is small but noticeable. I am still waiting for my component cable to test it on my projector. I guess I should not be disappointed if the component gave little further improvement (although I have read a review said otherwise), as it would still be the best among all.
    Here is a video posted in a chinese website comparing composite and component side-by-side. Just click on the Youtube video. There is big difference in texture of graphic.
    Last edited by billcsho; 06-26-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    Agreed. I would think your projector is capable of progressive input?

Ads