LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Wii Booster

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Thank you for your explanation. Essentially what you are saying is that if you get too close, it might not see both of the lights because they're so far apart. If you're too far, the remote might mistake the two lights which are now appearing to be very close to each other be one light.

Does anyone know the formula for proper triangulating? For example, how would you configure the distance of the two IR sources if you are say ten feet away from the television?
    Last edited by RJU690; 07-16-2007 at 09:41 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    http://www.geocities.com/mathfair200...trig/trig0.htm

With the original bar you know the dimensions of a right triangle that is made from the middle of the sensor bar to where you site and the middle of the sensor bar to one end. Using this information and cosine you can find the length of the third side of the triangle. With that you can find the angle of longest side (from IR emitter to person) and shortest side (from IR emitter to center of bar).

Now you have to create a triangle with the same three angles but with a 10 foot side which will tell you the length of the distance between the middle of the bar and your new IR source.

Member #
    Friends
    awesome

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by ciper
    http://www.geocities.com/mathfair200...trig/trig0.htm

With the original bar you know the dimensions of a right triangle that is made from the middle of the sensor bar to where you site and the middle of the sensor bar to one end. Using this information and cosine you can find the length of the third side of the triangle. With that you can find the angle of longest side (from IR emitter to person) and shortest side (from IR emitter to center of bar).

Now you have to create a triangle with the same three angles but with a 10 foot side which will tell you the length of the distance between the middle of the bar and your new IR source.
    I practically had a brain aneurysm attempting to understand your post but I finally comprehend it. I greatly appreciate your thorough explanation.
    Last edited by RJU690; 07-16-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    Let's not forget about the Nextronics wireless sensor bar. IGN did a review, and it had a range of 30 feet during there tests.

It can be found here:
    www.videogamebundle.com

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    I'd get it for the smart power-off feature.

But that's when I ever get a room bigger than the one I have....

Which is going to be never.

The current sensor bar cable from the original on mine is like, 5 feet more than I need!

Well maybe 2.
    That turtle has a brief case. It must be going to work. I hope it has a good day.

Member #
    Friends
    As Ciper said, the distance between the 2 side of IR LEDs are critical for playing game at a long distance. I found there is roughly a factor of 12 (i.e. placing the 2 LEDs 10" apart gives a 10ft range, 16" apart for a 16ft range). My Nyko wireless sensor bar never let me play fishing or other game with pointing at screen over 8-10 ft away. The absolute limit is at the signal intensity of the IR LEDs. A single high intensity IR LED has a range of around 10-25ft. Putting in more would increase the range. Multiple LEDs in serial may have intensity in each, but the WiiMote see the whole group as one spot and does not care as long as the 2 groups on each side provide approximately the same level for optimal calibration.

See my test result here.

Forget of buying those after market sensor bars, make one yourself. It costed me only $3 to make one that would really work at 25ft away. I think the WiiBooster just has 2 sets of IR LEDs placed at different distance. Making 2 IR LED boxes allows you to place them at any distance apart.

No need to calculate the sine, cosine, or the angle of the triangle, it is simply proportional when you enlarge a triangle.
    Last edited by billcsho; 07-25-2007 at 07:44 AM.

Ads