Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wii Booster

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Wii Booster

This looks like a very cool sensor bar and may provide a solution for those who play from a long distance away from the sensor bar.

• Wireless Solution
    • Up To 2X The Operating Distance
    • Smart Auto-OFF Function
    • Dual Modes: Active, Boost
    • Dynamic Power Management
    • Up To 60 Hours of Play Time
    • Low Battery Indicator
    • Compatible With Rechargeable Batteries
    • Microprocessor Controlled

Does anyone know anything about this or when it might be available for purchase?

http://www.wiibooster.com/index.php

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    So it's just a wireless sensor bar with stronger IR. I could make one of those with a trip to radio shack.

It's basically the exact same thing as;

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5607973

minus the signal power switch.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrant
    So it's just a wireless sensor bar with stronger IR. I could make one of those with a trip to radio shack.

It's basically the exact same thing as;

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5607973

minus the signal power switch.
    It's not the same thing because all of the other wireless sensor bars offer the same range of the original one. Wii Boost has a range twice as long making it stand apart which is important because many people sit very far from their screens especially if they use a projector.

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Quote Originally Posted by RJU690
    It's not the same thing because all of the other wireless sensor bars offer the same range of the original one. Wii Boost has a range twice as long making it stand apart which is important because many people sit very far from their screens especially if they use a projector.
    I'm pretty sure the one I gave you a link to also has 2x the range of the standard one.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    At the moment there isn't in the market a sensor bar with range more than 5m. Anything farther than that will give you jerky cursor movement , it will work but movement will be jerky and cursor rotation will lag. Nyko and 4gamers sensor bar tested, 4gamers is the best i've seen so far with 10 LEDs like the original one and with the same orientation, Nyko has 4 I think, but the 4gamers one takes 6 AAs when Nyko takes 4.
    So range is still an issue if you want to be far from the screen. Hope the WiiBooster solves this issue but I doubt it.

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Quote Originally Posted by iceblade
    At the moment there isn't in the market a sensor bar with range more than 5m. Anything farther than that will give you jerky cursor movement , it will work but movement will be jerky and cursor rotation will lag. Nyko and 4gamers sensor bar tested, 4gamers is the best i've seen so far with 10 LEDs like the original one and with the same orientation, Nyko has 4 I think, but the 4gamers one takes 6 AAs when Nyko takes 4.
    So range is still an issue if you want to be far from the screen. Hope the WiiBooster solves this issue but I doubt it.
    Having just compared the nyko wireless sensor bar from wal-mart to the one that came with my wii 1 minute ago. I can confirm that I get close to twice the distance with the nyko one.

Oh and you have to purchase these from Taiwan, so have fun with that.

http://www.wiibooster.com/contact.html
    Last edited by vagrant; 07-16-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    I can confirm that I get close to twice the distance with the nyko one.
    I really really doubt it
    From IGN:
    "The Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar claims a 25-foot range, and in our testing we concluded that it is indeed somewhat more powerful than the official Sensor Bar. Between 12 and 25-feet away from the Sensor Bar, we experienced comparatively less jittering with the Nyko model as opposed to the Nintendo issue. The difference wasn't extreme and twisting the Wiimote still produced quite a bit of jitter, yet we were able to conclude that the Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar gave us slightly better tracking ability at the 25-foot range."
    25 feet my a$$. current sensor bar are useless at more than 20 feet. At 20 feet cursor movement isn't great either
    Last edited by iceblade; 07-16-2007 at 06:57 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    RJU690: Increasing power and distance without adjusting distance between the IR sources will make the Wiimote less accurate. Draw a triangle between the two light sources and the Wiimote at its suggested distance and then try to match that angle with the booster bar and you will see the problem.

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Quote Originally Posted by iceblade
    I really really doubt it
    From IGN:
    "The Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar claims a 25-foot range, and in our testing we concluded that it is indeed somewhat more powerful than the official Sensor Bar. Between 12 and 25-feet away from the Sensor Bar, we experienced comparatively less jittering with the Nyko model as opposed to the Nintendo issue. The difference wasn't extreme and twisting the Wiimote still produced quite a bit of jitter, yet we were able to conclude that the Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar gave us slightly better tracking ability at the 25-foot range."
    25 feet my a$$. current sensor bar are useless at more than 20 feet. At 20 feet cursor movement isn't great either
    I fail to see how this debunks what I said.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    I fail to see how this debunks what I said.
    I can confirm that I get close to twice the distance with the nyko one.
    "we were able to conclude that the Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar gave us slightly better tracking ability at the 25-foot range."
    You think this means 2x range? Got me. ciper explains the range problem:
    Quote Originally Posted by ciper
    RJU690: Increasing power and distance without adjusting distance between the IR sources will make the Wiimote less accurate. Draw a triangle between the two light sources and the Wiimote at its suggested distance and then try to match that angle with the booster bar and you will see the problem.
    I agree. Do you know any good tutorial of making custom IR sources?

Ads