+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Modding wii

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2591-0261-4218-7197

actually

I would never mod my Wii it means to much to me its legal to copy all your games for back up as long as you have the orig disk and you dont sell them
    Add me on Wii Online ( NEED FRIENDS ) PM Me First

WIILIKE2PLAY.com

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by paintba||er

Modding isn't illegal. It can be used for illegal purposes, but it can also be completely legal if you own a legally bought copy of all the games you burn, etc.

This actually depends what country your in. Some countries have made the physical ModChip its self illegal.

Member #
    Friends
    1862-1014-7263-2520
    Actually, it's illegal to circumvent the copy-protection. But yes, in the Us you are allowed to have two physical backups of any computer software you purchase, which is extended to Floppy/CD/DVD and will be extended to Blu-Ray in 09 I think..
    *Insert wit here*

Member #
    Friends
    2548-1852-1916-1615
    im also thinkinf of modding my wii.. butt i heard there are some bad sife effects, like it might stop working and stuff.. I'm not sue if i want to take the risk, also i modded my Ps2. but its fine xD so thats good
    stop

and stare.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaForte
    Actually, it's illegal to circumvent the copy-protection. But yes, in the Us you are allowed to have two physical backups of any computer software you purchase, which is extended to Floppy/CD/DVD and will be extended to Blu-Ray in 09 I think..

Not completely true, this goes back to my initial statement about, it all coming down to what country you are in.

The copy protection on the Wii is hardware based, not disk based. Spain for instance has ruled that ModChips are completely legal, because the end user decides if they break law. Which means that you really are not breaking any laws to circumvent the copy protection, since even though they have a copy protection law, they ruled in this case it is legal to circumvent the copy protection......

Member #
    Friends
    1862-1014-7263-2520
    See, that's in Spain thought. By the way, that is one very beautiful country. If you live there, I envy you. But in the US, where the FBI put you on the terrorist watch list if you sneeze during the pledge of allegiance, It's illegal to circumvent any software/hardware copy protection on the original medium. And either now or real soon, it'll be illegal to use any hardware or software to circumvent any type of security or hardware copy protection mediums in place.

So there's no real motivation to do it now in the US. I mean sure, I'll still mod my consoles if they can be modded to meet my need for them. Such as my media center Xbox. It's got a 250GB drive in it, and I put movies, music and other stuff on it to save the time of searching for a dvd out of my cabinet or waiting on netflix. I can also boot it into Linux and use it as a temporary computer if mine's down. But the Wii doesn't have much modding possibility since it's just as powerful as the original Xbox, just with a beefier video system, faster memory but it lacks device support so I doubt it'll get me interested.
    *Insert wit here*

Member #
    Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: sheise
    Friends
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    See, that's in Spain thought. By the way, that is one very beautiful country. If you live there, I envy you. But in the US, where the FBI put you on the terrorist watch list if you sneeze during the pledge of allegiance, It's illegal to circumvent any software/hardware copy protection on the original medium. And either now or real soon, it'll be illegal to use any hardware or software to circumvent any type of security or hardware copy protection mediums in place.

So there's no real motivation to do it now in the US. I mean sure, I'll still mod my consoles if they can be modded to meet my need for them. Such as my media center Xbox. It's got a 250GB drive in it, and I put movies, music and other stuff on it to save the time of searching for a dvd out of my cabinet or waiting on netflix. I can also boot it into Linux and use it as a temporary computer if mine's down. But the Wii doesn't have much modding possibility since it's just as powerful as the original Xbox, just with a beefier video system, faster memory but it lacks device support so I doubt it'll get me interested.
    But aren't the modchips and stuff only illegal if the sole purpose is to circumvent the copy protection? (in the US)
    ++++++[>++++++++++<-]>+.<+++[>++++<-]>+.<+++++[>+++++++<-]>++.++++.<+++[>---<-]>--.<+++++[>----------<-]>--------.<+++++++++++++[>++<-]>.<+++++[>+++++<-]>.<++++[>++++<-]>+..<++[>----<-]>-.<++[>+++++<-]>.

Member #
    Friends
    1862-1014-7263-2520
    Well...If they do it solely or not they're still illegal/going to be. I also figure it will extend to the normal operation of the device, since there's no reason to half-ass anything.
    *Insert wit here*

Member #
    Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: sheise
    Friends
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    Well...If they do it solely or not they're still illegal/going to be. I also figure it will extend to the normal operation of the device, since there's no reason to half-ass anything.
    From what I have read it is legal as long as you can prove that it has a substantial noninfringing use. I don't really know if it will be legal in the future (as no one does) so that doesn't really matter.

Link
    ++++++[>++++++++++<-]>+.<+++[>++++<-]>+.<+++++[>+++++++<-]>++.++++.<+++[>---<-]>--.<+++++[>----------<-]>--------.<+++++++++++++[>++<-]>.<+++++[>+++++<-]>.<++++[>++++<-]>+..<++[>----<-]>-.<++[>+++++<-]>.

Member #
    Friends
    1862-1014-7263-2520
    How would a modchip not modify the console? I'm not understanding your direction here....
    *Insert wit here*

Ads