Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mod Chip Raids?

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyro
    It's not illegal for Americans to buy Japanese CD's online and listen to them, why should it be illegal for UK or Australians to buy American video games and PLAY them?
    You're right, it's not illegal to import games from other countries.

However, the mod chips do more than that - they circumvent the copy protection. That's the illegal part. Doesn't matter if your discs are 100% legal.

Member #
    Friends
    It isn't illegal to put crap cheese hop ups on cars. Why shouldn't one be allowed to hop up a console they own?

Member #
    Friends
    7081-4874-6456-6678
    I'm not really sure if some of you are playing stupid, but mod chips's ability to circumvent copywrite laws is illegal. That's all there is to it. If you say all your doing is getting imported games, then your strong willed to not get free games or your lying. It isn't illegal to have one, it is illegal to use it however.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Slad
    It isn't illegal to put crap cheese hop ups on cars. Why shouldn't one be allowed to hop up a console they own?
    Actually here in the US it is. There are dozens of car mods that violate emissions regulations and/or safety equipment laws. Headers, intakes, retrofitted light systems, etc.

Good comparison though, as most (if not all) of those mods are designated as "off road only" - yet they're sold for street cars.

I believe copyright involves limitation of distribution of said material as well, which is where the region encoding comes into play, though some countries have said they don't recognize it (i.e., your copyright laws don't apply to US in terms of geographic limitations).

This reminds me of the head shops that sell bongs "not intended for use with illegal narcotics", umm yeah...

Ads