+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hard-drive?

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5409-0948-4525-7180

Hard-drive?

Does this guarantee the eventual release of a hard-drive from Nintendo?

http://wii.ign.com/articles/826/826148p1.html

Smash Bros. Brawl Code: 4296-2641-1219

Member #
    Friends
    a small flash harddrive would be nice, but the wii doesnt need the same storage capabilities as other counsels.

The wii was never supposed to be your entire media center that way the ps3 or 360 were.

Member #
    Friends
    The games seem like pretty simple designs that wouldn't require much storage space, *but* I could see a simple patch that allows accessing the SD slot for direct play (vs. the current implementation of using it for backup).

Seeing as how a 2GB SD card is ~$15-18 (or even only $25-30 at walk-in retail pricing), that would be the way to go.

Remember what the N64 did with a 64MB cart? I think having 1 or 2 GB of storage space, would be plenty for WiiWare type games.

~DT
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    To be honest, since the Wii lacks strong media functions, I'm not sure what all the interest is in a HD. It's another peripheral to organize, they generate extra heat/noise. Even for saving games it seems like +massive+ overkill.

If it were standard, developers could do things like de-compress texture maps to it (like a PC or PS3) to accelerate graphics, etc., but as an add-on, it would always be relegated to "generic storage".

~DT
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

- Celeste

Unofficial WiiChat Helper Link_of_Hyrule's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    7114-5214-3386-2022
    I can almost guarantee that with that high graphic Final Fantasy game coming out as Wii Ware there will be some sort of new storage for the Wii

Please PM me before adding me!

Member #
    Friends
    6069-9016-3559-6279
    Quote Originally Posted by Link_of_Hyrule
    I can almost guarantee that with that high graphic Final Fantasy game coming out as Wii Ware there will be some sort of new storage for the Wii
    Agreed.

Brawl Punching Bag

Chibi Asuka!!
    ------

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Link_of_Hyrule

I agree, but I'm more inclined to think it will be an OS upgrade to allow an SD card to be used as "direct storage" (like the internal memory) vs. a hard drive.

There are two FF games due:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: the Crystal Bearers
    System: Wii
    Genre: Action-RPG
    Main character: young superhero
    Price: $50 at retail

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: the Young King and the Promised Land
    System: WiiWare download
    Genre: "country-builder" (sim-style)
    Main character: boy king
    Price: 1500 Wii Points ($15)

Since the WiiWare is a "Sims" style game with likely a limited environment, I'm figuring they can pack it into solid state storage with some clever compression.

Ever seen Resident Evil on the N64? They even packed in the exact same FMV as the (disk based) PS version (albiet sampled way down).

It just seems like a HD peripheral is a costly (please don't quote MO prices, the target demo will buy at retail) and complex add-on for the Wii market - and to require this for $15 game downloads? Seems like a misstep in the business model.

But hey, I'm up for anything, I've got a couple of 250GB's externals just sort of hanging out with nothing valuable on them

~DT
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

- Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT]
    It just seems like a HD peripheral is a costly (please don't quote MO prices, the target demo will buy at retail) and complex add-on for the Wii market - and to require this for $15 game downloads? Seems like a misstep in the business model.
    Going to have to disagree there. The cost factor could be waved, as the drivers required to utilize USB mass storage are pretty much standard and open source. If Nintendo so wishes to slip in there own brand name version, then I am sure that some 3rd party manufacturer of current USB hard drive enclosures would be willing to stick the Nintendo name on it for a few extra sales and cut Nintendo a piece of that pie in the process.

What is stopping them is unknown, my guess is development time, as issues of cost and piracy it is not an issue. If fear of piracy was a case they probably would not enabled SD backups, however the the non-copyable 1 block save file on the 512MB internal memory per VC and channels has prevented mass distribution of them illegally. A hard drive can function the same, still using that one block save file while the bulk of it is dumped to our SD cards and hard drives.

Quote Originally Posted by [DT]
    The games seem like pretty simple designs that wouldn't require much storage space, *but* I could see a simple patch that allows accessing the SD slot for direct play (vs. the current implementation of using it for backup).
    I have no doubt that it's going to eventually require SD direct play, and agree totally here, however I wouldn't doubt if Nintendo doesn't slip in the optional HDD support at this time as well. I don't think we will see a branded Nintendo USB HDD, but other than taking the time to add it I just don't see any delimiting factors preventing it's integration.

Programming is VERY time consuming, and really I think Nintendo is busy working on increasing it's game library so it can compete with the 360's one year head start. I know they say they arn't in competition, and maybe not direct, but they ALL are competing to keep our attentions.

"Real Men Wii Standing Up"

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisKhaos
    Programming is VERY time consuming
    Yes it is, especially when the DOJ makes the specifications a moving target.

Wait, did I say that?
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

- Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    FWIW, the part of my discussion that's critical is the 'business model' part - I don't see Nintendo requiring an expensive peripheral for supporting $15 games.

Can it be done? Pretty easily (I've written low level interface drivers for monitoring equipment for power and waste water management, not a big deal) since it's just building a "driver" so to speak like they did for the KB interface.

Will it be done? I'm sure it's on deck - especially with the expansion of the machine to more of an "internet appliance".

However, my contention was the requirement of the HD for up and coming WiiWare. Unless there is major development that breaks the internal storage (which wouldn't take too much) and goes behond the cheap SD storage mark (say 2GB?) then I don't see a huge market for pushing HD support.

Johnny: "Hey Mom, there's this neat new game out for the Wii!"

Mom: "Terrific, how much is it?"

Johnny: "$15 and it looks real keen!"

Mom: "Well, yeah that's not too bad."

Johnny: "It also requires a $100 external WiiDrive..."

Mom: "Forget it. Go mow the lawn.
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

- Celeste