LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wii HD

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Wii HD

I see some websites say that their Wii is HD Ready and others don't mention HD at all. Are all Wii consoles HD ready if you buy the HD cables and of course a HD TV?

Thanks.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    The highest resolution of the wii is 480p, which you can obtain using component cables.

480p isn't really HD but it looks better than 480i (standard)
    Wii games: Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil 4, Zelda TP, SSX: Blur, Excite Truck, The Godfather, and Mario Kart Wii
    PC games: Call of Duty 4, Halo 1, UT3, F.E.A.R., and The Orange Box.
    PS3 games: Ratchet and Clank F.T.O.D., Resistance 2, Wipeout HD, and MGS4.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by djfinfan
    I see some websites say that their Wii is HD Ready and others don't mention HD at all. Are all Wii consoles HD ready if you buy the HD cables and of course a HD TV?

Thanks.
    The wii does not support HD. No wii does.
    It goes as high as 720p, which if you have decent component cables and a good quality screen, will look almost as plush as proper HD, but is technically not.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by f1982
    The wii does not support HD. No wii does.
    It goes as high as 720p, which if you have decent component cables and a good quality screen, will look almost as plush as proper HD, but is technically not.
    no offense to you, but you are really wrong and I am not sure where you got your information from, because it certainly is not from personal experience.

The wii maxes at 480p. The difference between 480i and 480p is minimal, but worth the 30 dollars to make the bars a little more precise.

HD is 720p. Proper HD from a premier xbox 360 game has no comparison whatsoever to a wii game. Metroid Prime would have been scoring in the 9's if the graphics were a bit better.

From my experience, wii on my HDTV is good if the type of game looks good generally. Animated games like Mario are better made for the wii whereas first person shooters like metroid prime lost their jazz with a lack of graphics. My 2 cents.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by CaTasTRO
    The wii maxes at 480p. The difference between 480i and 480p is minimal, but worth the 30 dollars to make the bars a little more precise.
    My spectacular component cable was $8 At any rate, it's a small difference (especially since sets with de-interlacers perform essentially the same chore), but the isolated color signal seems to improve saturation. I think on the cheap (<$10) it's definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaTasTRO
    HD is 720p.
    Well technically it's either:

1280 720
    1920 1080

"I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT]
    My spectacular component cable was $8
    Darn it.....you got a better deal than I did . Mine cost $14.99.

The cable we have actually has three hook ups so I can connect a Wii, PS2, or XBox using only one component cable. Of course you can't hook them all up at once but this works good for us since our TV only has 2 component inputs. Our DVD player is currently taking up one component input.

Ads