LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member ghell's Avatar
    Member #
    36510
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

    Is there a way to calibrate the remote (non sensor bar)

    When I point my wii remotes to the top left corner, they think they are facing the TV. This is very annoying as when I point to the top left of the screen the whole thing goes haywire.

    I assume the remotes have a backup system in them that will work even without the sensor bar (but not as accurate). I have checked that removing my sensor bar stops me from being able to use the remotes by pointing them at the bar, but I can still use them by aiming them into the space to the top left, which would confirm my suspicions.

    Anyway, is there a way to calibrate (either to match up with the tv or completely behind me where they will never be facing) or disable this mode? It is incredibly annoying that whenever I point to the top left it suddenly thinks I am pointing at the bottom right (think of 2 rectangles slightly overlapping at the corners)

  2. #2
    WiiChat Member bmurray91's Avatar
    Member #
    32983
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    70
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    7867-6619-0079-5560
    is there another light source near your tv? cuz ive had this happen to me from having the sun shining through the window behind my tv.


    Bwii FC: 356 598 142 007 add me!

  3. #3
    WiiChat Member Maleko's Avatar
    Member #
    3295
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    150
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by ghell
    When I point my wii remotes to the top left corner, they think they are facing the TV. This is very annoying as when I point to the top left of the screen the whole thing goes haywire.

    I assume the remotes have a backup system in them that will work even without the sensor bar (but not as accurate). I have checked that removing my sensor bar stops me from being able to use the remotes by pointing them at the bar, but I can still use them by aiming them into the space to the top left, which would confirm my suspicions.

    Anyway, is there a way to calibrate (either to match up with the tv or completely behind me where they will never be facing) or disable this mode? It is incredibly annoying that whenever I point to the top left it suddenly thinks I am pointing at the bottom right (think of 2 rectangles slightly overlapping at the corners)
    You have some source of IR in the upper left. There is no "back up system" at all. Without the sensor bar, or some other source of IR emissions, the Wii pointer will NOT work.

  4. #4
    Junior Member ghell's Avatar
    Member #
    36510
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Look here at 69 minutes in. They mention something about it not using the sensor bar but if they had used it it would have been more accurate or something along those lines. What they say is a bit fuzzy but it seems to indicate there is some non-sensor bar fall back positioning system.

    The sensor bar is not plugged in, there is no IR source (just a wall with no heating, wiring or anything in it. It's a disused chimney. The window is nowhere near this (or anywhere that would reflect onto this), I have tried in the dark with the lights and central heating off and yet I can still get it to move with my hand (its pretty accurate though a little unstable). It also works at any point within range of the wii as long as I have the remote facing the same direction as I had before, even if it isn't pointing at the wall that it would be pointing at when I am standing directly in front of the TV. The only conditions to this detecting the remote's movement are that it is pointing a certain direction that it seems to think is forwards and that the front of the remote isn't covered up.

    This happens in the remote I got with my wii and the remote I bought separately yesterday in roughly the same absolute position.
    Last edited by ghell; 10-28-2007 at 06:38 AM.

  5. #5
    WiiChat Member Maleko's Avatar
    Member #
    3295
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    150
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by ghell
    Look here at 69 minutes in. They mention something about it not using the sensor bar but if they had used it it would have been more accurate or something along those lines. What they say is a bit fuzzy but it seems to indicate there is some non-sensor bar fall back positioning system.

    The sensor bar is not plugged in, there is no IR source (just a wall with no heating, wiring or anything in it. It's a disused chimney. The window is nowhere near this (or anywhere that would reflect onto this), I have tried in the dark with the lights and central heating off and yet I can still get it to move with my hand (its pretty accurate though a little unstable). It also works at any point within range of the wii as long as I have the remote facing the same direction as I had before, even if it isn't pointing at the wall that it would be pointing at when I am standing directly in front of the TV. The only conditions to this detecting the remote's movement are that it is pointing a certain direction that it seems to think is forwards and that the front of the remote isn't covered up.

    This happens in the remote I got with my wii and the remote I bought separately yesterday in roughly the same absolute position.
    They mentioned that the IR portion of the Wiimote is not working currently and that it is a driver problem with the Linux Wiimote drivers they are using. There is no back up system at all. All motion controls are controlled by the accelerometers, and all pointing functions are controlled by the IR portion of the wiimote. There needs to be a fixed point for the Wiimote to center on in order for it to know how it is orientated. Without a fixed point of reference, there is no way to tell which way the Wiimote is facing. I'm not sure what is causing your issue, but I know it is not being caused by some back up system in place to orientate your wiimote pointer.

    <edit> The answer to your problem is in bold above, once you ocver the end of the Wiimote, you've blocked the IR interferrence.

  6. #6
    the best kid! samXcor3's Avatar
    Member #
    34872
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,457
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3732-3369-2853-4491
    you should try standing farther away from your screen, and also checking if theres an open window around.
    Strikers FC:025884-970933
    RIP: Hidden in Plain View, Counterfit Pennies, The Early November

    thanks to idjut for the sig!

  7. #7
    Junior Member ghell's Avatar
    Member #
    36510
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Ok, I believe you that there is no fall back system. I suppose what is causing the problem will just have to remain a mystery. In most games it isn't too much of an issue anyway but if I randomly crash into the sea in heatseeker a few more times it isn't going to be a lack of cord around my wrist that makes my remote fly into my wii

    Sam, I have answered this in an earlier post. Also what would an open window have to do with anything. It isn't the wind that causes the problems it is the infra red light (which gets through whether or not you have the window open)

  8. #8
    WiiChat Member margarissa's Avatar
    Member #
    34056
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    san diego!
    Posts
    10
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    1380-5323-2464-2309
    i've been having trouble with my remote too. the cursor starts jumping all over the place. there are times when i try to click on a save icon and it takes forever, i'm pointing it at one place but for some reason the cursor moves around. there is a window behind my tv. but how does the sunlight effect the wii remote?

  9. #9
    WiiChat Member Maleko's Avatar
    Member #
    3295
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    150
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Sunlight contains IR radiation, the Wiimotes use IR (sensor bar) to triangulate the position and control of the pointer. If you have sunlight reflecting off of your TV, your cursor will jump around irratically (happens at my house from 8:30a till 9:15a, when the sun reflects off of my TV)

    ghell, actually, depending on the glass in your windows (i.e. most newer windows) your windows may actually block IR (and UV) radiation. You might be able to find it just by looking at where your pointing it, and where the cursor then shows on the screen. For example, if your pointing it towards the upper left corner of your wall, and the cursor shows in the upper left corner of the TV then your IR source is down and right. I had to hunt down some IR interferrence myself, it is a PITA but was well worth it (in my case it was an old VCR that was doing it)

  10. #10
    WiiChat Member margarissa's Avatar
    Member #
    34056
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    san diego!
    Posts
    10
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    1380-5323-2464-2309
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleko
    Sunlight contains IR radiation, the Wiimotes use IR (sensor bar) to triangulate the position and control of the pointer. If you have sunlight reflecting off of your TV, your cursor will jump around irratically (happens at my house from 8:30a till 9:15a, when the sun reflects off of my TV)

    ghell, actually, depending on the glass in your windows (i.e. most newer windows) your windows may actually block IR (and UV) radiation. You might be able to find it just by looking at where your pointing it, and where the cursor then shows on the screen. For example, if your pointing it towards the upper left corner of your wall, and the cursor shows in the upper left corner of the TV then your IR source is down and right. I had to hunt down some IR interferrence myself, it is a PITA but was well worth it (in my case it was an old VCR that was doing it)


    thanks maleko! that makes so much sense!! mine usually does that during the afternoon. but i'm still a bit confused. if you're pointing the wiimote towards the upper left corner of the wall then the pointer SHOULD be on the upper left corner of the tv, right? how do you know the interference is down and right? and what did you mean your old vcr was doing it? was it the reflection? =) soOoO sorry for all the questions, i'm a little slow when it comes to these kinds of things! i'm not sure what's throwing my wiimotes off but at least now i know that it has to do with the sunlight. thanks!

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search tags for this page

calibrate wii remote

,
calibrate wii sensor
,
how to calibrate a wii remote
,

how to calibrate my wii remote

,

how to calibrate wii controller

,

how to calibrate wii remote

,
how to calibrate wii sensor
,

how to calibrate wii sensor bar

,
wii calibrate remote
,
wii controller calibration
,
wii remote calibration
,

wii sensor bar calibration

Click on a term to search for related topics.