LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaL
    I have a very similar except I don't do purposely don't do widescreen (I paid for 62 I want all 62). If I get a chance I'll try switching to widescreen. Besides that, everything plays properly in normal mode?
    I feel like when playing two-player sports (like boxing), I really need the widescreen.

Member #
    Friends
    Hit the 'Wide" button on the sony remote - set it to Full. I believe that's the button - it's a video setting on the TV.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by fb7894
    Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand WEGA LCD Projection Television with Integrated HDTV Tuner

Yes, I have black bars on either side of the screen.
    I'm using the same model line (50" version), I get full widescreen no problem - I can check out some setttings and confirm modes on the set and Wii and get back to you (I'm also on component cables). I can check sports (the packin), Zelda, MP8 and Paper Mario too (some of those don't have "native" 16:9)

~DT
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT]
    I can check out some setttings and confirm modes on the set and Wii and get back to you (I'm also on component cables). I can check sports (the packin), Zelda, MP8 and Paper Mario too (some of those don't have "native" 16:9)

~DT
    That'd be great thanks.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by fb7894
    That'd be great thanks.
    No problem, I haven't forgot, I'll do it this weekend, or maybe tonight if we fire up Zelda (havent' even had the Wii on in a couple of weeks).

~DT
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

- Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    OK, testing this for you right now - I'll just keep editing *this* post as I check settings, output format, etc.

OK, as I mentioned before this is a 50WE655 Sony connected to the Wii via [generic] component cables.

Wii Settings:

Screen Format 16:9
    Output Spec 480P (EDTV)

[edit 1]

MP8 is a 4:3 game so on Normal I've got the expected sidebars, but can switch over to Full (flattened but no cropping - this is regular widescreen mode for 16:9 games and movies), Zoom (correct aspect but severely top/bottom cropped, and Wide Zoom which is about 10% cropped but pretty nice.

[edit 2]

Wii Menu crops at Normal (since it's forcing 4:3) and looks perfect at Full (which is the set's native widescreen mode).

[edit 3]

OK, checking out Zelda (which has a native 16:9 format)

Normal (TV 4:3 format), it has black bars and as a little tall and thin (like forcing a 16:9 movie into 4:3), at Normal (TV native wide/16:9 format) it looks perfect.

[edit 4]

Also under the Sony TV menu, the 3rd item down for Screen, there are settings to tell the set the default handling for Wide and 4:3 signals - ours is set for Full and Normal respectively.

That's all I've got!! Hope it helps.
    Last edited by [DT]; 11-11-2007 at 08:51 AM.
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

- Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT]

Also under the Sony TV menu, the 3rd item down for Screen, there are settings to tell the set the default handling for Wide and 4:3 signals - ours is set for Full and Normal respectively.
    Well, I think that's it. When I set my Sony tv to "Full" mode, the wii now displays in widescreen. But all it is, is a stretched version of the 4:3. I think I see what is going on. When I select "Widescreen" on the wii, it shrinks the graphics so that when I change my tv to "Full" the shrunken graphics are enlarged to regular size. This is definitely not a true widescreen. But I'm just happy I got it working. Thanks to everybody for helping me out.

Member #
    Friends
    I'm having the exact same problem. There's a definite difference in the size of the icons and images when I have the Wii set at 16:9 instead of 4:3, but I don't feel like I see any more or less of the screen. For both settings I get black bars on each side of the screen, and the only way to fill the screen is to stretch it out. So I'm doing exactly what the others are doing: setting the Wii to 16:9, then stretching the image to fill the screen.

That's not true widescreen. Is anyone actually getting TRUE widescreen, where they see more in the game than they would had they been using a 4:3 set? I'm not, and it bums me out. There's a HUGE difference for cable TV and my Xbox 360. You get to see more.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by adamfletch
    That's not true widescreen.
    You got it. When you switch to 16:9 mode on the Wii, it shrinks the images so that when you stretch your screen on your tv, the images are back to normal size.
    I'm fine with it now that I know how it works. I just wish Nintendo made it a little easier to figure it out. The owner's manual did not help at all.

Member #
    Friends
    I just got a Wii yesterday. I have a Sony 55" KDS-A2000. I set everything up for widescreen, but the wii is only displaying in 4:3 instead of 16:9. I have tried going through the receiver (onkyo 705) and directly to the tv. I will try some other stuff tonight.

Ads