LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Everything can be displayed widescreen, but the GAMES have to take advantage of it. Zelda comes to mind. You DO see more than the GC version.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawny
    Hmmmmmmm

Want to give the exact model number? As the only lcd in a "projection" TV is a front projector....

What inputs are there? So you still have black bars?

You used 4 periods in an ellipse!

Member #
    Friends
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Your first post? I'm sensing a dupe account?

And I'm glad you brought it up, as maybe it's a shred of hope that people are becoming more aware of posts. (Not just mine).

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodwinder
    That's correct. An Ellipsis is three dots, and if it ends a sentence, you add the punctuation that would conclude the sentence. In this case, a period.

I had to set my Toshiba HDTV from Native to Full to get rid of the black bars on the screen.

Member #
    Friends
    I realize I am digging up a semi-old thread here but I have a similar issue. I just bought a Sony Bravia (KDL-40S4100) and hooked the Wii up to it directly with component cables. I changed my Wii settings to 16:9 widescreen and EDTV/HDTV 480p. The TV recognizes the signal as 480p, but the Wii defaults to 4:3 (black bars on the sides) unless I change the 4:3 default on the TV to "Full". Then it changes to what I believe is true 16:9, not just a stretched 4:3 picture. The problem is that changing the 4:3 default on the TV causes my DVD player and standard def channels to be stretched, which I don't really want. When the TV's 4:3 default is on "Normal" they are not stretched, but the Wii is sort of squished.

Why is the Wii not automatically shown in widescreen format? I have that selected as its format, so why do I have to "force" it by changing the TV setting and messing up other devices' aspect ratios? I'd prefer to simply set my TV, DVD, and Wii preferences and leave them alone, not change them based on what I am watching.

Member #
    Friends
    TV's can't auto-switch or detect widescreen/4:3 signals using Component because there are no spare wires to carry the signal in a Component cable.

If you want the Wii/TV combination to auto-switch, you'll have to use a RGB Scart cable (if you are in the UK).

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by hencam[uk] View Post
    TV's can't auto-switch or detect widescreen/4:3 signals using Component because there are no spare wires to carry the signal in a Component cable.

If you want the Wii/TV combination to auto-switch, you'll have to use a RGB Scart cable (if you are in the UK).
    I am in the US, but thanks for explaining the reasoning. As long as I know I set it up properly, I can deal with switching the aspect ratio as needed. I'll just leave it on Full screen for now since I use the Wii more often than the DVD player or SD channels.

Member #
    Friends
    8622-4911-2881-8614
    Strange. All my settings are the same, and everything displays widescreen as it should. I'm curious though... my TV allows for a input by input setting. Meaning I can set the one the 360 is connected to, to normal, the Wii input to wide, or whatever etc...

My friend has a 60" Sony Bravia, and I'm 99% sure his is the same, it allows for adjustment to each individual input, and remembers the settings until changed.

Are you connecting all of your components directly to the TV? Or maybe connecting them to a surround receiver, and running a single output from it to only one input on the TV? I just can't imagine it not having individual settings for each source.

there he goes, one of god's own prototypes... a high powered mutant of some kind,
    never even considered for mass production... too weird to live, and too rare to die...

Buy the Ticket... Take the Ride...

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
    Are you connecting all of your components directly to the TV? Or maybe connecting them to a surround receiver, and running a single output from it to only one input on the TV? I just can't imagine it not having individual settings for each source.
    Components are all connected directly to the TV (Wii, DVD, HD DVR). I, too, thought I could adjust and save the Settings input by input but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe the 40" model is lacking that feature to keep the cost down a bit more.

Member #
    Friends
    2064-8110-4406-4869
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodwinder View Post
    Wow! This guy signed up just to say that!
    In 2007 I predicted Wii Fit would sell more than Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

EVERYONE at wiichat.com disagreed with me.

As it stands today:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 9.49 Million

Wii Fit: 35 Million

Ads