Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Quote Originally Posted by infernocs
    Oh my god, Does anyone really know anything about computer hardware over here?????

I have my associates degree in pc tech and finishing my LAN management one up this semester .

And yes I agree with you fully, hence me and link's posts. Even plug and play uses drivers on the device itself. Network adapters don't work the same way flash drives do, as in they all use the same driver basically. Those adapters from buyxtra require driver installation via a cd. The nintendo ones use a driver already installed in the firmware/os. Buy the nintendo one.
    Last edited by vagrant; 11-13-2006 at 07:47 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    Just go wireless FTW!!

Unofficial WiiChat Helper Link_of_Hyrule's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    7114-5214-3386-2022
    yes or you could just buy the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector

Please PM me before adding me!

WiiChat Member thoughtcrimnal84's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    my computer is old and crappy, i have windows ME not XP so the wifi dongle/connector thing wont work for me either. I already have a wired router so i am not buying a wireless one just for the wii.

I am a little pissed because the wii doesn't have an ethernet port AND we have zero news on nintendo's "ethernet kit." We have no idea when it will come out. I really don't like that i may have to wait until January or Feburary until i can get online with the wii. I wish that they would just tell us when their adapter it is coming out already. Preferably at launch but i HIGHLY doubt it.

Nintendo definetly dropped the ball as far as online goes. Everybody and their brother definetly does not have a wireless router. Nor do they wanna deal with all the latency issues with gaming online over wifi

Member #
    Friends
    2933-4904-9336-1800
    The drivers are not necessarily an issue. When the PS2 came out there were several generic USB-Ethernet connectors that worked.

I do not know about the Wii, I guess we will find out in the coming days, but if no one can confirm or deny either case I'd wait and see. Or at least keep your receipt if you buy one.

I'm sure the Nintendo branded one will be WAY more expensive than a regular one. Look at the SD cards for example.

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtcrimnal84
    my computer is old and crappy, i have windows ME not XP so the wifi dongle/connector thing wont work for me either. I already have a wired router so i am not buying a wireless one just for the wii.

I am a little pissed because the wii doesn't have an ethernet port AND we have zero news on nintendo's "ethernet kit." We have no idea when it will come out. I really don't like that i may have to wait until January or Feburary until i can get online with the wii. I wish that they would just tell us when their adapter it is coming out already. Preferably at launch but i HIGHLY doubt it.

Nintendo definetly dropped the ball as far as online goes. Everybody and their brother definetly does not have a wireless router. Nor do they wanna deal with all the latency issues with gaming online over wifi
    Your adapter has nothing to do with your computers operating system. You can still use USB adapters with windows Me/2000/nt/98
    Last edited by vagrant; 11-14-2006 at 02:16 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    4287-9909-4049-1336
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrant
    Your operating system has nothing to do with your computers operating system. You can still use USB adapters with windows Me/2000/nt/98
    Yes, but the wireless set-up for the Wii, I believe, said that you had to have XP.

Also, I have a question. My computer is in our office at home, and the TV is just through a plaster wall from that. Does anyone any reason why, if I were to buy the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi Adaptor, that it wouldn't work?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Add me for Wii! PM me if you do.

I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English. If you believe in capital letters, correct spelling and good sentence structure, then copy this into your signature.

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Quote Originally Posted by frontsidefish
    Yes, but the wireless set-up for the Wii, I believe, said that you had to have XP.

Also, I have a question. My computer is in our office at home, and the TV is just through a plaster wall from that. Does anyone any reason why, if I were to buy the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi Adaptor, that it wouldn't work?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    If you have a wireless adapter or if you have a wireless router. It has nothing to do with your operating system.

WiiChat Member thoughtcrimnal84's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrant
    If you have a wireless adapter or if you have a wireless router. It has nothing to do with your operating system.
    I have heavily researched the Wifi donlge because it seemed like a great answer for me but it does work only for Windows XP.

Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    look under criticism

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtcrimnal84
    I have heavily researched the Wifi donlge because it seemed like a great answer for me but it does work only for Windows XP.

Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    look under criticism
    What are you talking about? I am referring to the usb adapters you posted in the first post. I wasn't talking about wifi adapters, nor were you.

And it doesn't matter what brand of USB wifi adapter you use, because it plugs into your computer not the Wii itself, like a usb to cat5 adapter would(which is what you posted).

USB Adapter 802.11 Wireless 2.4GHz WI-FI Converter USBG-2203 LOW PRICE $29.98

Operating System Windows 98SE, Me, 2000, XP

Apparently you didn't heavily research enough.

Ads