LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I don't know a great deal about hardware, but could it be that RE4 works the Wii's GPU harder than other games for some reason, and this can cause it to overheat and suffer permanent damage...?

2. Ads

Confiscation of the Mind iOwnage's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    8957-2822-1883-9918
    Quote Originally Posted by sremick
    I've heard lots of theories about it being an over-heated GPU, but none of that explains the high-rate of people who don't have any problems until running Resident Evil 4. I'm seeing it now in Tomb Raider, Cars, and Harry Potter, when I wasn't seeing it in any of those prior to running RE4. I never saw it at all until running RE4, which is identical to many other peoples' experiences.

I don't claim to understand what is going on or how it can possibly happen (as a technical geek I'm as confused as the rest of you) but all I can say is that the pattern is disturbing and suggests that something is out of whack here.
    RE4 runs to powerfully for the Wii, therefore overheating it, and causing permanent damage.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Member #
    Friends
    6873-9817-9041-2501
    Wow, hadn't actually heard of this.

Think I will cross Resident Evil off my to buy list (I have never been much in to the "such and such game broke my console" claims, but there looks to be something behind this one).

Thanks for the heads up and sorry you had to go through it.
    Currently playing: Super Swing Golf Season 2

Games Owned: Super Mario Galaxy, Super Swing Golf Season 2, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Zelda Twilight Princess, Trauma Center New Blood, Harry Potter OOTP, Zak & Wiki, Metroid Prime 3, Big Brain Academy, Battalion Wars 2

VC Games Owned: Punch Out, Legend of Zelda, SMB 3, Super Mario World, Super Metroid

Proud Owner Of A Wii Matt's_A_Bluebird's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    7591-7050-1749-1437
    I'm hoping the PAL version is okay because I got it for Christmas too! Havn't played it much yet though because I also got Scarface which I want to complete quickly.

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death... I can assure them it is much more serious than that."

Member #
    Friends
    2429-4615-8570-1814
    i have it and i have to porblems with it it might be just ur wii

2000 - 2007 DragonForce

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by kronau
    i have it and i have to porblems with it it might be just ur wii
    It's not just my Wii, it's lots of peoples' Wiis. Check the Google link included earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    Phew....thankful RE4 didn't cause problems on ours.

Member #
    Friends
    After reading several [dozen] of the posts in the provided link (you're right, I thought that was underlined for emphasis ), I'm semi-convinced that it's a completely *independent* hardware related issue.

I believe it just happens to be more visible in RE4 - due to the visual effects and the art/game design (lots of complex screens you slowly move through). Once you're aware of the issue, you become super sensitive to it (and see it in games where you didn't notice it before).

At least that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT]
    I believe it just happens to be more visible in RE4 - due to the visual effects and the art/game design (lots of complex screens you slowly move through). Once you're aware of the issue, you become super sensitive to it (and see it in games where you didn't notice it before).

At least that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it
    I'm going to have to disagree. I had been reading about the green dots issue long before I ever experienced it. I had seen the screenshots and the videos and knew what it looked like. For many months I have been very conscientious of my display making sure I didn't see it (and I have a 36" TV which makes it very easy to see once it starts). I even considered getting one of those USB add-on fans in order to hopefully prevent it. When I first saw it in RE4, although it was minor I immediately noticed it and recognized it. I then noticed it in my other games when I hadn't before.

So for me, the first run of RE4 was a clear and definitive transition from not having the problem to having it, and it appears I'm not alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    It seemed *slightly* more plausible than a specific game affecting the hardware (to the point of causing a permanent problem), but as I posted previously, we could probably come up with all sorts of potential answers (for RE4 damaging the Wii). Someone even mentioned GPU issues (directly resulting from RE4's code) - not sure how feasible that is, but it does at least equate the GAME to the ISSUE.

We definitely do NOT have any sort of video problem (at least it's not visible in Zelda, Paper Mario or SMG) - we also have a copy of RE4 we've only booted once to check out for ~15 minutes. I'm going to make a mental note of this, and if we get the RE4 issue (I'm sure we'll play for pretty extended periods once we "officially" start it), I'll track this thread back down!!

Good luck with the return/repair if you do that route.
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Ads