Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3507-4384-8234-9657

Using the Wiimote to play PC games

I've been reading through the Wii specs and I noticed that the Wiimote communicates with the console via Bluetooth.

My guess is that Nintendo probably kept their hardware compatible with the official Bluetooth specification for simplicity's sake. This would mean that getting the Wiimote to work as a PC game controller shouldn't be too difficult. It would be a simple matter of creating a device driver.

I know that the aiming function would be a little more difficult to implement due to the sensor bar's proprietary connection, but there is another possibility: Nyko's wireless sensor bar, which I've read uses Bluetooth.

If my assumptions about the Wiimote and Nyko's Sensor Bar are correct, I should be able to hack together a Windows driver in a fairly short amount of time.

Let me know if you're interested in dedicating some time and energy to this project!

Wii #: 3507 4384 8234 9657
    Name: Skylar

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    3135-7022-5124-5388
    COOL that would be class!

Member #
    Friends
    if you can do it. do it!!! that would be really cool and everybody would love you!

wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii otacon138's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    That would be so cool. I would love to play the original Far Cry with the wiimote, especially since my mose is busted.

Member #
    Friends
    I dunno... I think the controller is way more complex than the XBOX controller (which was very easily to re-solder for standard USB). But, if you do manage to get one working, all the better to ya! Keep us updated!
    WiiSports (obviously) / Redsteel / Excite Truck / TC:SO / Rayman RR / Wii Play / Sonic and the Secret Rings / Mad Catz Skinz

Member #
    Friends
    The sensor bar is nothing more than a handful of IR LEDs(if you do not believe me unplug it and put a maglite in its place), the wiimote has a 1MP IR camera in the front that tracks these points so it would require rather more than a driver to get it running on a computer. That said, we already have drivers for the 360 controllers and once we get a working wiimote driver it should be simple to get the 360 drivers working in reverse. Then the posibility arises to use the wiimote on the 360. just thing gears of war with the wimote.

-Matt

edit: tuned, the wimote uses bluetooth so there should be no need for any hardware modification whatsoever.
    Last edited by cokebottle tuque; 11-21-2006 at 03:28 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    3507-4384-8234-9657
    Thanks cokebottle. I just managed to figure out how the sensor bar worked yesterday. The sensor bar's connection to the Wii is only to power the IR LEDs. The Wiimote probably tracks the IR points on it's own and only outputs simple X, Y, Z coordinates. Sending the raw data from the 1MP sensor to the Wii using Bluetooth would eat an unnecessary amount of battery power and bandwidth, which I'm sure Nintendo figured out.

I also got the Wiimote connected with a Windows PC yesterday with minimal effort. Now I just need to figure out what info needs to be sent back and forth between the PC and the Wiimote to get the Wiimote set up and assign it a player number.

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Quote Originally Posted by cokebottle tuque
    The sensor bar is nothing more than a handful of IR LEDs(if you do not believe me unplug it and put a maglite in its place), the wiimote has a 1MP IR camera in the front that tracks these points so it would require rather more than a driver to get it running on a computer. That said, we already have drivers for the 360 controllers and once we get a working wiimote driver it should be simple to get the 360 drivers working in reverse. Then the posibility arises to use the wiimote on the 360. just thing gears of war with the wimote.

-Matt

edit: tuned, the wimote uses bluetooth so there should be no need for any hardware modification whatsoever.
    Excepts for the fact that games have to be designed to recognize the wiimote

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    3507-4384-8234-9657
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrant
    Excepts for the fact that games have to be designed to recognize the wiimote
    The games don't have to be designed to recognize the Wii remote. All that is needed is a driver that makes the game "think" that the Wii remote is an Xbox 360 controller. That's the basis I'm using to develop a Windows driver for the Wiimote.

Member #
    Friends
    DUDE not that it would be legal but ppl would pay for the wiimote on their computers! Then u can pay off your Wii (if you have one)

Ads