LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    hey

Hmm, it doesn't say in your television specs what resolutions it supports? maybe it supports 480p? if so, you should get a much better picture/display.

Anyhows, I might do some googling and try and find out.

cyas

Member #
    Friends
    6669-5605-4028-6511
    good post has helped me about quite alot. thanks,

Member #
    Friends
    hey

Hmm, well I done some googling, and downloaded the manual. The only thing I found was in the manual... "Video system: PAL4.43, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43 (50/60Hz)".

Well I'm guessing it don't support 480p, but I don't really know :\.

Edit, I just came across a nice post by Inspire, which I think answers your question .

Quote Originally Posted by Inspire
    You get an extra boost just using these cables - even if you don't use progressive scan. Video signals are composed of three individual signals - Red, Green, and Blue. Your standard Composite cables compress all three of these signals and trasmit them over a single cable. This is a ludicrous idea - that your sound is actually given more bandwith than your video signal (Sound - red and White / Video - Yellow).

S-Video cables work better, but I won't go into an explanation here.

Component video cables work best (as far as analog signals are concerned) and allow for the video signal to be sent as its separate individual components - Red, Green, and Blue. This helps big time with distortion and color bleeding and sharpness.

Progressive scan ices the cake off real nice by displaying a full image in each frame, rather than playing magic tricks and letting your brain compile the interlaced image.

So, what I'm getting at is that 480i (interlaced) and 480p (progressive) most put out the same amount of pixels per second, progressive scan just does it in a better way.
    cyas
    Last edited by yosh64; 11-16-2006 at 09:21 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    That's helps a ton. I'm probably sticking with the S-Video unless my dad gets a HDTV.

custom user title, lol Scooter80's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Thanks, this helped me out alot. I still have a CRT tv with component input (its kinda new ish) I think I will pick up a set of component cables and see if it looks nicer. I am hopefull it will.

Member #
    Friends
    Question. I just got my Wii component cable today, hooked it up, worked great. Something I notice though...although all of the images look much clearer, sharper, and full of color, I see small little lines. What I mean is, for example, as I move around in Zelda, on Link and the environment these little tiny lines move, almost as if the image is still being "interlaced", and not showing the whole image every frame. It's weird. My TV supports up to 780p, so there shouldn't be a problem. Do TV settings need to be switched into Pogressive Scan somehow? 'Cause I thought they did that on their own. Just wondering...

Member #
    Friends
    6669-5605-4028-6511
    Quote Originally Posted by Samster
    OK - will try to keep this simple:

Best Quality
    Component - the video signal is split into three signals, two color and one black and white, giving you the best picture. Use component video to take advantage of the superior picture found in such signal sources such as HDTV and progressive DVD.

Component connection is three plugs - red blue and green.

Better Quality

S-Video - The video signal is split into two signals, giving you an even better quality picture. For example, text displayed on-screen using this connection is noticeably sharper than composite or coaxial (RF).

S-Video connection looks like this:

Good Quality
    Composite ("yellow plug") - The video signal is carried through a single "pin". This connection type is the one that is most commonly found on video devices

Basic
    Coaxial (RF) - The video and audio signals are both carried in one cable. Used for antenna and cable signals.
    (The other three connection types only handle video, requiring separate connections for sound.)

In short - if your screen has component inputs, regardless of whether it's an HDTV or not - buy the component Wii cable and use it. YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE.

If you don't have component inputs on your screen but do have an S-Video input, buy the S-Video Wii cable and use it.

If you can afford to buy the correct cables, always connect your screen to your input device using it's best inputs.

i think thats in america, because the cables i recieved with my wii are the yellow, white and red one.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by epikon
    i think thats in america, because the cables i recieved with my wii are the yellow, white and red one.
    what you're talking about are the composite cables that come with the wii, which everyone has. the yellow cable is all of the video signals, while audio is divided into two cables, red and white. samster's post does include composite cables in it.
    My Wii Purchases: Wii, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, 3 Wiimotes (doubles tennis, anyone?), 1 Nunchuk

Future games: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2, Mario Party 8, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Member #
    Friends
    1557-5877-5442-1060
    Quote Originally Posted by phatboix91
    what you're talking about are the composite cables that come with the wii, which everyone has. the yellow cable is all of the video signals, while audio is divided into two cables, red and white. samster's post does include composite cables in it.
    yellow is Composite Video also known as RCA (type of connector) and Baseband Video
    White is Left channel analog Audio
    Red is Right channel analog Audio

Component uses RCA connectors to divide your Video into Three cables these are commonly labled Y (green), Pb (blue), Pr (red) PLUS two more cables like Composite for the audio White and Red see above

If your TV contains Component Video Jacks it is likely a Progressive Scan TV and is capably of much improved Image Quality

contrary to popular belief that S-Video is much better than Composite (Yellow) it has been proved that most people cannot see the difference in quality between the two.

It is also slightly possible you may not see the difference between the supplied composite cables and the component cables. ( my mother in Law cannot tell the difference between SDTV and HDTV but my wife and I can for example.

the differences may be subtle or major and can be compared to look something like this

I always recommend buying the cable making sure you can return them in case of issues.

take 'em home and try it out (don't forget to set your Wii to 480p)

if you are not able to justify the cost with the slight increase (or large increase) in image quality then return them (again dont for get to set your Wii back to 480i before disconnecting it)
    --------
    Nyk0n
    Zelda: Twighlight Princess should come with a life time supply of AA Batteries for the Wii Remote !

Member #
    Friends
    Hi,

This thread has been very helpful, but I wonder if someone could assist me further...

I have the standard Composite cable that comes with the Wii in the UK, and an adaptor thing that let's you use the composite cable with a TV scart input.

Is it possible to get a cable that would connect the Wii to the TV using scart, but using the component signals rather than a composite signal ??

Or does that not make sense at all ?? Please forgive my ignorance.

If a "real" Wii -> Scart cable exists, where would I be able to get one from in the UK ??

Ads