LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    The man with authoritah! aznricyboy's Avatar
    Member #
    35714
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    46
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4295-3131-8869-3560
    OK, so doing some research, I found out that the more recent models of the Wii actually had the wireless card attached correctly, whereas in older versions, the wireless card was built onto the GPU, thus causing it to overheat and frying it. But as I said before, when I got it back, it was apparently repaired, but not brand new. They said they only replaced the damaged components, which I assume is the GPU. Does this mean that they finally assembled the thing "correctly"? Or am I stuck with the same model which will eventually meet its pixely death again? Someone please clear this up.
    I can't tell if the things overheated already. It's warm to the touch, as if you would cup your hands to your mouth and blow hot air onto it. Is that considered dangerously hot?
    "Suicide is bad...you could DIE!!!"

  2. #12
    Tech Support nxcmp's Avatar
    Member #
    47959
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    254
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    My Wii wasn't in the coolest place in the house. So I had someone my friend knows and he worked on mine. He replaced the original heat sink with a solid copper one with an additional fan and used thermal tape to re-attach that heat sink and drilled holes for the screws. It no longer over heats so I'm happy. I tried to get a hold of him but he didn't want to give me instruction on how to do it.

    Check my Profile for information on my PC Tech Support services.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Check my Blog for "Program of the Week" every Tuesday. Suggestions welcome, PM me.

  3. #13
    WiiChat Member Transfixed's Avatar
    Member #
    2102
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    144
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Mine gets quite hot as well in standby mode, and I've always wondered about this. Also, if you leave a game disc in the Wii, then the Standby mode makes it QUITE hot when you eject it. It doesn't seem like a good temp to leave any disc anywhere, but I guess if it's a rare problem..........hmmm..
    WWW.WEARETHEKEY.NET
    WEARETHEKEY.FREEFORUMS.ORG

    Come join and help the world Evolve!

    BRAWL CODE - 3265-4747-0770
    Wii Console - 2504-6852-5346-7730

  4. #14
    Senior Member Skippy's Avatar
    Member #
    10574
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,191
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by aznricyboy
    They said they only replaced the damaged components, which I assume is the GPU. Does this mean that they finally assembled the thing "correctly"? Or am I stuck with the same model which will eventually meet its pixely death again? Someone please clear this up.
    It's not guaranteed the GPU will fail regardless of how the Wii was manufactured. It's just that some GPU chips came out of the factory borderline flaky which made them more prone to heat problems (even with decent ventilation), while others can take much more heat without having any problems. I got a Wii at launch in Nov 06 and I've had WiiConnect24 on the whole time and have had no problems. Just play games and try not worry about it.

  5. #15
    The man with authoritah! aznricyboy's Avatar
    Member #
    35714
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    46
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4295-3131-8869-3560
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy
    It's not guaranteed the GPU will fail regardless of how the Wii was manufactured. It's just that some GPU chips came out of the factory borderline flaky which made them more prone to heat problems (even with decent ventilation), while others can take much more heat without having any problems. I got a Wii at launch in Nov 06 and I've had WiiConnect24 on the whole time and have had no problems. Just play games and try not worry about it.
    Thanks! I guess I gotta stop being so paranoid and use the Wii for what it does best. But just to put me at ease, would you consider warm to the touch overheating? (cup your hands to your mouth and blow air into it. That's about the temperature of my console). It seems quite warm, but not dangerously hot like it used to be. Is this considered OK?
    "Suicide is bad...you could DIE!!!"

  6. #16
    Senior Member Skippy's Avatar
    Member #
    10574
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,191
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by aznricyboy
    Thanks! I guess I gotta stop being so paranoid and use the Wii for what it does best. But just to put me at ease, would you consider warm to the touch overheating? (cup your hands to your mouth and blow air into it. That's about the temperature of my console). It seems quite warm, but not dangerously hot like it used to be. Is this considered OK?
    That should be fine. Mine is warm to the touch as well.

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search tags for this page

can leaveing wii on make it overheat

,
can my wii be repaired it overheated
,
does nintendo wii gets overheated
,

does the wii overheat

,

does wii has overheat issues

,

wii console in entertainment center overheat

,
wii heatsink
,
wii overheat standby
,

wii overheating problem

,

wii pixelation

,

wii pixelation overheating

,
wii standby overheating fixed
Click on a term to search for related topics.