LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Link_of_Hyrule
    They already got hello world script to work but they haven't released anything to the public yet but they showed off some stuff at the hackers conference.

Its unlikely Nintendo will thwart it or even be able to because it would require changing the encryption keys which would cause all the current released wii games to stop working.

Plus its not really hurting Nintendo unless it begins to help the piracy community but thats unlikely because of how its done

Theres plenty of ds and gamecube homebrew out right now i'm sure that the wii homebrew will be just as much once they release the exploit
    LOL yes they could change the encryption keys but they could also just turn you in by seeing what you ran on your Wii...LOL Remember the play time log... I think the key that he found is more like the one developers get so that they can run software. Now you have to wonder did they actually get a key or did they get the decryption algorithm. If they got the Key then that can just be flagged and pulled from the the list or either cause other things to happen. getting a hello world program to work and getting a real game to work are two different things. Nintendo really did some obscure things with this security yet that seems to be buying them time until they find another bug. The inclusion of an online serve could become a problem for this also which would be great for real Wii gamers!

Some smart guys there though yet I'm sure they don't want nintendo watching them right now and really he needs to be working on a game rather than hacking like this! He reminds me of the factor 5 guys a little.

Unofficial WiiChat Helper Link_of_Hyrule's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    7114-5214-3386-2022
    its perfectly legal to run homebrew and contrary to popular belief not everybody who makes homebrew supports piracy and your wrong the keys are hard coded to the disks if they change them then you would have to get replacement disks and it would only be a matter of time before they got them again

Please PM me before adding me!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Link_of_Hyrule
    its perfectly legal to run homebrew and contrary to popular belief not everybody who makes homebrew supports piracy and your wrong the keys are hard coded to the disks if they change them then you would have to get replacement disks and it would only be a matter of time before they got them again
    He was talking about the actualy key on the arm hidden in the hollywood GPU this is no disk it's more like the key you get when you are a developer. That from what I read about the hack. Also too people will try and get some for free at all cost...LOL Home brew can just go the way of Wii ware if they want it badly and if linux group wanted to they only need to apply for a lic and they can put it on the Wii, hell I would think nintendo would mind since opera is running just fine.

It's a lot easier for these guys to be legit rather than get static from nintendo. Sure it's perfectly legal for you to run it yet it may be legal for nintendo to block you from running it also. Yet hacker will alway find away! You do realize stuff like this cause them to add more security and BS to the system though.

Member #
    Friends
    7114-5214-3386-2022
    the key on the chip is associated with a key thats on the cd and thats why only signed disks will play on an unmoded wii

Member #
    Friends
    All it takes to fix the exploit will be a mandatory update included in the game disc. So you'll only have a few month of fun before Nintendo puts mandatory updates on all games.
    F U Pikachu

Member #
    Friends
    7114-5214-3386-2022
    nope they can update the encryption with an update

Member #
    Friends
    just so u know it couldnt b the first softmod being developed because there already was a softmod and with a wii update the boot disc stopped working
    a few groups are working on a boot discs to load from the memory card of either sd and/or gamecube slots

Member #
    Friends
    Yeah, I saw the video for this...it looks like a good step foward, though I dont particularly want ASIO knocking on my door about piracy issues =/
    Wii owner since launch Day!

Games: Wii Sports, Wii Play, Red Steel, Twilight Princess, Marvel UA, Mario Party, Rayman, Super Paper Mario, Resident Evil 4, Splinter Cell: DA, Spiderman-3, TMNT, Pokemon Battle Revolution, Guitar Hero 3, Mario Strikers.

4 Wii-motes, 4 Nunchucks and a classic controller.

Member #
    Friends
    8448-6260-2078-1629
    if it was that easy to stop the mod chips from working nintendo would have done that already... what happens is that the people doing the mod chips have updates as well so again the problem persists
    PM to add me to Wii and from there we can add different games!

Brawl: 2921-8766-9978

Ads