+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Unofficial WiiChat Helper Link_of_Hyrule's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    7114-5214-3386-2022

First Wii Softmod in Development

If you guys haven't heard a team of people have finally cracked the Wii's security and they are making a mod that will work on the Wiis that don't have Modchips in them so a "Softmod" like the original xbox had using a glitch in the zelda save system and official nintendo encryption keys that were dumped off of the Wii its said that it would be almost impossible for nintendo to release a patch to fix the glitch and prevent it from being used.

This is for homebrew not piracy i'm sure it could be used for that eventually but it would be very hard to do because of how its being done but hopefully we will see some nice homebrew channels maybe an unofficial dvd channel and a linux channel heres the links for anyone interested

http://debugmo.de//?p=59

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=102079

Please PM me before adding me!

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Interesting.
    With much love, 261311.

Quote Originally Posted by JT.
    Maybe it's implying yoshi is an animal, and not just a mutated green prostitute mario likes to ride
    -=Join the Waluigi Fan Club=-

Member #
    Friends
    could be interesting
    Wii Games: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Heatseeker, Excite Truck, Wii Play, NHL 2k9, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Strikers Charged, Shaun White Snowboarding, The Bigs, Guitar Hero: World Tour, Ghost Squad, Call of Duty: World at War, Wii Sports Resort, Punch-out!

VC: Wave Race 64

Homebrew Channel

Member #
    Friends
    7114-5214-3386-2022
    lol is that all you guys have to say that its interesting? lol

Member #
    Friends
    This wil be great
    NEw channels
    Which will be churned out much faster than nintendo likes!
    If something isn't working try turning it off and on again

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Link_of_Hyrule
    lol is that all you guys have to say that its interesting? lol

Well, at least we said something, you commented on us

It is interesting, however Nintendo may thwart this plan, or the team may quit developing, etc. I didn't see much while I was skimming about many channels but a DVD channel might be nice.

Either way, meh.
    With much love, 261311.

Quote Originally Posted by JT.
    Maybe it's implying yoshi is an animal, and not just a mutated green prostitute mario likes to ride
    -=Join the Waluigi Fan Club=-

Member #
    Friends
    interesting is all it is now.
    at least until there is a working model
    Wii Games: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Heatseeker, Excite Truck, Wii Play, NHL 2k9, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Strikers Charged, Shaun White Snowboarding, The Bigs, Guitar Hero: World Tour, Ghost Squad, Call of Duty: World at War, Wii Sports Resort, Punch-out!

VC: Wave Race 64

Homebrew Channel

Member #
    Friends
    6636-1630-0874-1365
    Atleast they will be putting out stuff hopefully for hardcore gamers.
    Arguing Over The Internet Is Like Participating In The Special Olympics, Even If You Win You Are Still Retarded.
    Super Smash Bros Brawl:
    2320-5790-2320

Mario Strikers friend code:
    494028-363289

Member #
    Friends
    7114-5214-3386-2022
    They already got hello world script to work but they haven't released anything to the public yet but they showed off some stuff at the hackers conference.

Its unlikely Nintendo will thwart it or even be able to because it would require changing the encryption keys which would cause all the current released wii games to stop working.

Plus its not really hurting Nintendo unless it begins to help the piracy community but thats unlikely because of how its done

Theres plenty of ds and gamecube homebrew out right now i'm sure that the wii homebrew will be just as much once they release the exploit

Member #
    Friends
    LOL Why go home brew when you can just be a wiiware developer... it's stupidly easy too! This is for piracy period... Nintendo could just release new encryption keys for all of the new Wii's . Yes some Wii's out there will still have this problem yet could nintendo also just update the Wii's channels so that it simply does not run certain files?

Also too read the post:

Like I said before the key that he got and easily be changed with in the chip which his believes is in the hollywood, and whose to say it is not different in other Wii's? What he is doing is not so much a soft mode yet some thing that would only benefit development.
    If you want to call it that.

These are his own words...

really hoped I wouldn’t have to say this again and again, but some people still got it wrong:

No, my target is NOT to create a “drivechip-free warez solution”. IT IS NOT. GET THAT. I also won’t approve any pingbacks from (or comments containing links to) forums which don’t get this. It’s not my job to protect the vendor against piracy (and drivechips are already a dead easy method, what do you want more?! Also getting the hardware for free?), but I definitely don’t support that. Piracy is possible only because of the drive’s insecurity. Whether the wii itself is hacked or not doesn’t really matter in that point.

I still can’t understand how people are so stupid to claim that “there is a modchip in the making, source: debugmo.de”. This is not only wrong, it’s plain stupid. If they would have read (and understand) my post, they would have seen that my overly complex method to emulate the NAND chip is for *development* purposes, and nothing you want to build more than once. But what should I expect… (And if they didn’t understand my post - agreed, there is much technical stuff in it -, why did they draw some conclusions?)

Are you still wondering why #wiidev is such an unfriendly place? This is the answer.
    Now once nintendo starts putting out different keys for this chip then thing begin to change once again.

Also too What happens if nintendo finds away to see that you did do this? Lots of data is saved to the flash drive in the Wii and we all know nintendo comes down hard of people. Some one get this guys a Wii ware sign up card before he gets snatched up!

Ads