Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    Just make sure the HDTV you pick has a good scaler/upconverter built into it otherwise you will be unhappy, not just with the Wii but with basic t.v. channels as well.

When you go to buy one make them put standard definition, enhanced definintion, and high definition on it so you can see how well all the current formats look on it. This is a transition period between the formats, so for the next 5-10 years your gonna need a t.v. that can handle all of them.

Member #
    Friends
    4399-9847-6292-8728
    I have a 42 inch Samsung Plasma. Its 720 but it works really well and the picture is great. I have never had a problem with it lagging or anything.

Member #
    Friends
    Whatever you do do not get a plasma... Old technology.

LCD is ure best bet. Try a Samsung. If you can stretch ure budget a bit go for the M8, or at least something close. You mareswell invest in the future technology, trust me itl be worth the extra $$$! Make sure you also get
    a 1080p TV not 1080i... not the same.

1080p is the best out there and is the future. If you see one u will c the difference!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by navroze1
    Whatever you do do not get a plasma... Old technology.

LCD is ure best bet. Try a Samsung. If you can stretch ure budget a bit go for the M8, or at least something close. You mareswell invest in the future technology, trust me itl be worth the extra $$$! Make sure you also get
    a 1080p TV not 1080i... not the same.
    1080p is the best out there and is the future. If you see one u will c the difference!
    Oh geez. Go to avsforum, repeat that post, and see what happens

- Plasmas are just fine, if not better than LCDs. Most A/V nuts prefer plasmas due to better blacks and color. LCDs are catching up though.
    - Don't go by resolution alone, e.g. 1080p. The new Pioneer Kuro is THE display to get. The 42" display is 720p but beats the pants off 1080p displays because of its superb contrast and color.
    MOHH2 username: sushinut
    I have: Wii Play, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Elebits, RE4, Super Mario Strikers Charged, Mario & Sonic, GHIII w/ 2 guitars, MOHH2, SMG, RE: UC

Member #
    Friends
    2064-8110-4406-4869
    I'm an AVSforum regular. LCDs are your worst bet unless you're on a tight budget.
    Now if you want to honestly know the BEST and I really mean the Best.
    Here they are:

1. Sony XBR960 Incredible picture many beleive this is the greatest set ever made. It's perfect if you have a small room since it's a 34". It's no longer being manufactured so you will need ti find it used.

2. Pioneer Kuro 5080HD Amazing colors for your Wii. It is a bit pricey and is great for larger room. If I'm not mistaken it's ranked #1 on CNET reviews. problem is you need to really drop more dollars in your piggy bank as it will cost you at least $2,000.

Member #
    Friends
    8617-4848-0755-6983
    So just to get this straight... technically speaking, the Wii can only output in 480p right? And don't most HD channels on television output in 720p resolution? So a 32" 720p LCD would be a solid bet for me if I want progressive-scan from my Wii, HD channels, but I'm on a modest budget? Like 1080p isn't that just like Blu-ray movies you purchase and such.
    Wii & GC Games: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, F-Zero GX, Super Smash Bros. Melee

Virtual Console Games: Gradius III, Gunstar Heroes, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario Bros. 3

Member #
    Friends
    2064-8110-4406-4869

720p

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish23
    So just to get this straight... technically speaking, the Wii can only output in 480p right? And don't most HD channels on television output in 720p resolution? So a 32" 720p LCD would be a solid bet for me if I want progressive-scan from my Wii, HD channels, but I'm on a modest budget? Like 1080p isn't that just like Blu-ray movies you purchase and such.
    720p is fine. The difference between 720p and 1080p is like orange juice and orange juice with pulp. Blu-Ray movies can play in any resolution but will look nice on 720p though. The problem here though, is that there is not a lot of 720p TVs on the market. Right now the mass is 1080p HDTV's.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by gnahc79
    Oh geez. Go to avsforum, repeat that post, and see what happens

- Plasmas are just fine, if not better than LCDs. Most A/V nuts prefer plasmas due to better blacks and color. LCDs are catching up though.
    - Don't go by resolution alone, e.g. 1080p. The new Pioneer Kuro is THE display to get. The 42" display is 720p but beats the pants off 1080p displays because of its superb contrast and color.
    PLEASE!!! The TVs are 1080p for a reason!!! OK! A 720p is not better than 1080p and LCD is much better, within 5 years i can guarentey that u will regret buying a plasma... it is OLD TECHNOLOGY!

Member #
    Friends
    What is this "old technology" crap? Color LCDs started appearing in the mid 80's. Color Plasma first appeared in the early 90s. Both technologies have their monochrome roots in the 60's. I don't know enough about plasma to make a judgement one way or another but if anything LCD is the older technology. Not that being older automatically makes something inferior.

Member #
    Friends
    Plasmas also have a very short life span!

Ads