LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

What is the best TV to buy for Wii ???

Just bought a Wii. About to go buy a new TV I want like a 42" LCD Flat Panel, but I have read a ton of bad things about HDTV and 720P or 1080i problems with lag and lack of good quality picture. Anyone have a suggestion as to what TV I should buy?? I am looking to spend $800-$1000. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Steve

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    IMO I would stick with higher tier brands vs budget brands since a decent scaler is needed to do the 480p->native resolution of the display (720p,1080) upscale. For LCDs it would include Sony, Samsung and Sharp. For plasmas Pioneer and Panasonic. I may have forgotten a few other brands for the LCDs.
    MOHH2 username: sushinut
    I have: Wii Play, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Elebits, RE4, Super Mario Strikers Charged, Mario & Sonic, GHIII w/ 2 guitars, MOHH2, SMG, RE: UC

Member #
    Friends
    I highly recommend Samsung LCDs. I have two of them (42" and 46") and they are very reliable. Check out the rating on Amazon.com before you buy, you'll see that the Samsung LCDs have the best customer ratings.
    COD-Black Ops ally code- 2452-1577-3051

Member #
    Friends
    5820-3895-0352-0420
    I myself have had a lot of poor experiences with Samsung products; I do recommend Sony, but they are very expensive and you'll definitely pay for the brand. Sharp is pretty good and cheaper, and if you're looking for more of a bargain, look at Vizio - they have good quality and good prices.
    SSBB FC: 3050-7266-1269 - Add me. Msg me with your code if you do My nickname is AWZ!
    PES 2009 FC: 1548-0990-5835

Member #
    Friends
    I have a 32" Vizio and the picture looks fine as far as I can tell. If you're spending that kind of money on a TV, I'd just bring the Wii with you to the store. No salesman in his (or her) right mind would turn down letting you hook it up to the floor model to see how it looks before buying. I'd call ahead first though to let them know that you're going to do it.

Member #
    Friends
    I have a 42" Samsung plasma. It look great playing the wii on it, and it's got a burn in protection setting on the wii so you don't have to worry about it. I was playing guitar hero 3 for the wii and went out for four hours or so. I found i left the game on pause with the tv on and burned the pause screen into the tv. After a few moments watching normal tv, the burned in image went right away. So, point being, don't worry what you hear about plasma tv's...they are the best .

Member #
    Friends
    8617-4848-0755-6983
    I too am looking to get an HDTV as well but my personal budget isn't that high. I was wondering how small of an HDTV you can get before it diminishes the playing experience? For example, hal2814 you have a 32'' how's that working out for you?

I've also played on a large 40-something inch LCD but I found that when I brought the WiiMote closer to the television, I needed to exaggerate my movements further. Thus, if I play on a much smaller HDTV like a 32" or lower, would this prove to be a problem? Or does the Wii allow you to calibrate this kind of thing.
    Wii & GC Games: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, F-Zero GX, Super Smash Bros. Melee

Virtual Console Games: Gradius III, Gunstar Heroes, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario Bros. 3

kx5
    Member #
    Friends
    4424-9954-3124-7796
    any 73" should work fine. as long as it is capable of 1080P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is the best TV to buy for Wii ???-100_1901.jpg  
    Wii console number 4424 9954 3124 7796
    mario strikers FC 124676 291536
    GH3 FC 047370061678

Wii sports,, Smackdown vs Raw 08,, Big brain Academy,, WarioWare Smooth Moves,, Wii Play,, Rapala Fishing,, Rayman 1,, Rayman 2,, Super Mario Galaxy,, Super Paper Mario,, Mario Party 8,, Mario Strikers Charged,, Barbie Island Princess,, Guitar Hero III,, Tiger woods 07, cooking mama cook off, safari rescue.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish23
    I too am looking to get an HDTV as well but my personal budget isn't that high. I was wondering how small of an HDTV you can get before it diminishes the playing experience? For example, hal2814 you have a 32'' how's that working out for you?

I've also played on a large 40-something inch LCD but I found that when I brought the WiiMote closer to the television, I needed to exaggerate my movements further. Thus, if I play on a much smaller HDTV like a 32" or lower, would this prove to be a problem? Or does the Wii allow you to calibrate this kind of thing.
    I don't like the TV to be the focal point of our family room so I didn't want a huge television. I have two small kids and if they go through life watching less television than I did, I'll consider that a win. Remember that the 32" TV looks a whole lot bigger in your living room than it does next to the 60" TVs on the floor of your electronics shop. It's been fine for us. I usually play about 4' - 5' away from the TV. At the time I bought it, 32" inch was the best deal on smallish LCD TVs. Nowadays, I think the 37" might be a better bang for the buck.

As far as exaggerated movements, set the sensitivity of the remote in the settings menu and that should be taken care of.

Member #
    Friends
    Sony or Samsung HDTVs. Even a LG HDTV, my friend has one around 50" and it works fine for his PS3 and Wii.
    Come Together.

Ads