+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 88 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 69 ... LastLast
    Holy Trinity of Nintendo devitek's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6202-9304-2933-3293
    Posted elsewhere, but...

I've got a buzzing noise whenever the Wii is accessing the disc. I haven't tried with a GameCube disc as I don't have one.

When I put the disc in, I can hear the sound almost immediately. It doesn't start as a buzz, but it is clear that the issue is related to the drive--sounds like something is out of balance. It hasn't affected gameplay, nor has it damaged any discs thus far. The sound is just really, really, really annoying.

Anyone else experience something like this? What did you do? I'd rather not send off my one-week-old Wii and have it be gone for half a month, if at all possible.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid -- The Holy Trinity of Nintendo

Member #
    Friends

Just a few questions:

Since June I've had 2 Nintendo Wii systems and I was wondering if this was a common occurence in all systems:

1. Both Wii's have left streaks on the discs after taking them out of the system. Has anyone else had this happen? It was really bad when I first got both systems, but it's not as bad as before.

2. My current Wii will on occasion make a clicking sound when a disc is in and comes up with an error message asking me to remove the disc and turn off the console. Has anyone else had this happen and if so should I return this system as well?

I bought the EB Games extended warranty so I'm cool as far as getting a new system if needed, but I just thought I'd ask around before I have to lug ANOTHER system back to the store.

If someone could shed some light on my concerns it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Member #
    Friends
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    Quote Originally Posted by devitek
    I've got a buzzing noise whenever the Wii is accessing the disc. I haven't tried with a GameCube disc as I don't have one.
    WATCH THIS CLOSELY! Seems Nintendo is aware that they've shipped a handful of consoles with bad drives, however details on this is vague. Once I told technical support of my increasing "Disc Read Errors" and told them that the Wii was buzzing/Vibrating he immediately said, "Yes, your system definitely is going to have to be serviced." Since your system is only 2 weeks old just keep a close eye on it and BE SURE TO REGISTER IT! You may be having to ship it in a box soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sj0076
    1. Both Wii's have left streaks on the discs after taking them out of the system. Has anyone else had this happen? It was really bad when I first got both systems, but it's not as bad as before.

2. My current Wii will on occasion make a clicking sound when a disc is in and comes up with an error message asking me to remove the disc and turn off the console. Has anyone else had this happen and if so should I return this system as well?
    Sounds a lot like my problem, except the Wii is not marking the discs. You should definitely contact Nintendo and get that dude repaired before your warranty is up, to reduce risk of having to replace it or be serviced out of your pocket instead.

Good luck guys, don't be afraid to call Nintendo, they're extremely helpful and willing to work with you. They cover all the shipping costs minus the packaging to ship it to them (if you have downloaded content to your Wii) and have other service options as well.

"Real Men Wii Standing Up"

Holy Trinity of Nintendo devitek's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6202-9304-2933-3293
    I sent an email to Nintendo two days ago and haven't heard anything yet. I did register the product already, so that's good. Thanks for the info on this; I'll keep updating as things progress. Feels like it's just a matter of time before my Wii and I part for a few weeks...

Mario, Zelda, Metroid -- The Holy Trinity of Nintendo

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    My wiis defectivness keeps increasing slowly but surely. (mostly on internet0

iv had to herd reset my wii on increasing incidents.

its worrying, but i have to get on with it until my wii goes into total failure,

but can anyboy tell me a number to phone nintend UK

also when your wii wont turn of and its crashed unpluc mains and plug back in works, its the only way, no need to worry though it happens to almost everyone., (but or me its happening more and more

PSN daviduk2000

Gamertag daviduk2000

Member #
    Friends
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    Quote Originally Posted by daviduk200
    My wiis defectivness keeps increasing slowly but surely. (mostly on internet0
    I'd have that fixed.

its worrying, but i have to get on with it until my wii goes into total failure,
    Why are you waiting? Modern electronics are built using a compilation of various hardware sources to create the final product, which means generally when there is a problem on average only 90% is still in good working order (unless a single component manages to toast others in a string).

Don't wait, fix it now if it's under warranty.

but can anyboy tell me a number to phone nintend UK
    Go to the Nintendo website and check out the "Customer Service" section, and read carefully, there is a series of questions before you reach the phone number. Also, it should be located in your manual.

Member #
    Friends
    HELP!! I bought my Wii off ebay, being assured that even though the system is located in Japan or China somewhere, it will definitely play in English. Some of the discs play in English, the Wii main menu is in Japanese or Chinese (dunno, can't tell the difference??) Does anybody know if there is anyway I can change it to English?? (I have formatted - didn't work. I have also tried going to the 'Country' setting - but it isn't there!)

Member #
    Friends
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    Quote Originally Posted by devious81
    HELP!! I bought my Wii off ebay, being assured that even though the system is located in Japan or China somewhere, it will definitely play in English. Some of the discs play in English, the Wii main menu is in Japanese or Chinese (dunno, can't tell the difference??) Does anybody know if there is anyway I can change it to English?? (I have formatted - didn't work. I have also tried going to the 'Country' setting - but it isn't there!)
    Oh man, I've heard this story before. Far as I know there is nothing you can do about it, however hope that I am wrong and keep looking. Maybe someone has a potential solution to this.

As far as playing English titles, it sounds like it's got a mod-chip in there because the Chinese and Japanese regions are not supposed to be compatible with that of the U.S. To my understand the whole reason Nintendo went with region locks is because of the different TV formats. I would check into this.

Member #
    Friends
    I haven't read through everything, but I noticed that a couple people seem to have the same problem:

http://www.gamersconcept.com/images/wii_problem.jpg

This is a bad picture, but the best I can get for the time being. The only thing to pay attention to is the two lines above Mii Channel and Photo Channel. The whole screen does that. It is almost the fuzzy static that televisions get but in little lines. I have tried different different cables (both composite and s-video), tried different ports (my Sony Wega has at least 3 different composite ports - video1, video2, video3) and different televisions, and keep getting the same thing.

I have owned the unit since April, but it seems like it just recently started doing that. I took a couple week hiatus from it only to find that my cats chewed through the sensor bar cord (since it was long enough to reach the ground). I bought the Nyko wireless sensor bar and it seems to work fine with the wiimotes. I bought a different composite cable in case my cats got to that also, but that cable does the same thing (and I keep that cable out of reach of my cats).

As a second problem, since I first played my Wii, I always seem to get intermittent internet connection. I have been able to download about 12 virtual console things, so it does work sometimes. I was setting an IP address through the Wii to the router (along with using WEP). Apparently the Wii or the router didn't like that. Now I have the router setting an IP address to the Wii using MAC recognition and MAC filters (along with using WEP). That must have fixed my internet problems. Now I seem to have good internet connection. My computers and my printer seem to also play well that way (the wireless connections actually seem to find the router faster now).

I am assuming I should contact Nintendo about this problem as I still fall under warranty (and I did register my Wii through Nintendo also). But I did buy it from Bestbuy and got their two year replacement plan (figured why not). So should I still go through Nintendo, or try going through Bestbuy?

Member #
    Friends
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    Quote Originally Posted by bdavis96
    I am assuming I should contact Nintendo about this problem as I still fall under warranty (and I did register my Wii through Nintendo also). But I did buy it from Bestbuy and got their two year replacement plan (figured why not). So should I still go through Nintendo, or try going through Bestbuy?
    I am going to make this REAL simple for ya, you go through Best Buy, you can kiss those VC games good bye.

Call Nintendo. If you and I did not purchase stuff with our Wii point cards then they could of shipped us a replacement console, and sent our old one back. We could have also simply exchanged it as well. Now the only option is to call Nintendo, await the UPS label (US), and buy yourself the proper shipping package.

Yes, I have already been through it, and aside from having to provide your own box (they DO NOT RECOMMEND the original box to ship in) the process is relatively painless. Just be warned that while Nintendo provides excellent UPS tracking to and from there repair shop, there updating of warranty repair information when at there repair facility is VERY sluggish. Nearly 3.5 days of "Due In" status after it had arrived, and the day after that it was on it's way home already.

I will provide more details on my experience to those who request it via private message, likewise just remember that the process is near seamless. Just call Nintendo and deal with about a 2 to 3 week wait. It's worth it.

Mine will be home this coming Monday with a brand new optical drive.

Ads