LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

SD Card rejected by wii?

I recently purchased a new Canon digital camera and I decided to get a 4GB PNY SD-HC card for it because it only works with the newer HC card's. What I want to know is, does it have to just be SD to accept it? It wouldn't seem logical considering HC is starting to appear more and more these days. Anyways thanks for any responses.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    2064-8110-4406-4869
    I think the Wii only support SD cards 2GB and lower. That's what a Nintendo Rep told me but this was long ago and maybe there has been an update to increase its compatibility.
    In 2007 I predicted Wii Fit would sell more than Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

EVERYONE at wiichat.com disagreed with me.

As it stands today:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 9.49 Million

Wii Fit: 35 Million

Member #
    Friends
    2482-6460-3144-9934
    Quote Originally Posted by glh92
    I recently purchased a new Canon digital camera and I decided to get a 4GB PNY SD-HC card for it because it only works with the newer HC card's. What I want to know is, does it have to just be SD to accept it? It wouldn't seem logical considering HC is starting to appear more and more these days. Anyways thanks for any responses.
    2GB is the max.

However, this is a software limitation rather than a hardware limitation and will be fixed with an update at some point.

-=Join The Waluigi Fan Club=-

Spoiler Alert!

52 Members and still growing!

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by glh92
    I recently purchased a new Canon digital camera and I decided to get a 4GB PNY SD-HC card for it
    That's your problem: you bought an SDHC card. The Wii uses SD. They are not the same.

SDHC devices can read/write SD cards. SD devices cannot read/write SDHC at all.

Quote Originally Posted by FRuMMaGe
    this is a software limitation rather than a hardware limitation and will be fixed with an update at some point.
    Don't hold your breath. Nintendo has never stated this. All it'd take for the Wii to play MP3s in the Photo Channel would be a "firmware update" but this is a feature Nintendo removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by sremick
    That's your problem: you bought an SDHC card. The Wii uses SD. They are not the same.

SDHC devices can read/write SD cards. SD devices cannot read/write SDHC at all.

Don't hold your breath. Nintendo has never stated this. All it'd take for the Wii to play MP3s in the Photo Channel would be a "firmware update" but this is a feature Nintendo removed.
    Well I hope they update it. Just because it's not something most of my friends really knew about. I actually figured it took all SD type devices. But, eh, what can ya do. I can still use the sd card I have on it thats on my cell-phone so it's not really critical for me.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Considering how useless SD cards are right now when used with the Wii, there's no compelling reason for more than 2GB.

If Nintendo implemented memory expansion right, and made it seamless, then yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Wii online moderator registerednerd's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    I'm not sure that a software update to SDHC is actually possible, I believe there is actually a minor hardware difference (firmware, but beyond what is updated with system updates)
    ... but what do I know?...
    Not currently accepting friend adds.

Member #
    Friends
    4631-2357-6774-0357
    The Wii can only support 2GB or lower memory cards. And some don't work even if it is 2GB or lower.

BRAWL Code: 1289-8002-5312...PM-add
    List of Mii-integrated games http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...tml#post954903

Ads