LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Connect24 and system heat...

So I picked up my Wii and so far it's been a blast. I connected everything and enabled Connect24 with no issues. So when I shut the system off, I get the orange light.

Tonite I went and got a Sandisk memory stick and as I grabbed the side of the Wii to put it in, I noticed the system was pretty warm. I understand it's still connected to the internet but would that cause a decent amount of heat to still be generated? I was just wondering if this is normal. For now I disabled Connect24 and I get the red light on shutdown and it's as cool as a cucumber.

I guess I just get pretty paranoid about these things.

-Pixel

Member #
    Friends
    8270-5231-5586-9638
    yeah.. mine's pretty warm too on the left side of the orange button.. hmm should i shut it off?

What exactly does it do? Just keep monitoring for updates?

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Quote Originally Posted by pixel
    So I picked up my Wii and so far it's been a blast. I connected everything and enabled Connect24 with no issues. So when I shut the system off, I get the orange light.

Tonite I went and got a Sandisk memory stick and as I grabbed the side of the Wii to put it in, I noticed the system was pretty warm. I understand it's still connected to the internet but would that cause a decent amount of heat to still be generated? I was just wondering if this is normal. For now I disabled Connect24 and I get the red light on shutdown and it's as cool as a cucumber.

I guess I just get pretty paranoid about these things.

-Pixel
    It's not sending data over the internet, so that would have nothing to do with it. Nor would it anyways. It probably has more to do with where your wii is located in your house. Especially if it is on standby, it's not using enough electricity to generate much heat anyways. It's going to be a little warm all the time, just like a computer. As long as it's not progressively getting hotter and hotter it will be fine.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Mean, green and unseen... Miragepie's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    8299-1123-0364-4511
    It's best if you leave it standing vertically, if not already..
    I had mine laying flat (on the floor, fluffylike rug ^^) I noticed it getting even hotter when it was on standby not doing anything
    Anyway I put it on the stand vertically afterwards, it cooled off fast and now I haven't noticed it getting this problem anymore...

Member #
    Friends
    Thanks for all the replies. The Wii is indeed vertical and placed in a well ventilated part of the room. The computer analogy vagrant made makes sense. I put it back on Connect24 and will continue to monitor it. Hopefully it's nothing more than idle warmth.

Thanks again for all the help.

-pixel

Member #
    Friends
    7368-8559-7526-8152
    The reason your Wii is warm is because the fans don't run when the system is in standby mode, but the system is still drawing some power. It's not much (CPU only draws 10W at full load - the system uses more, but it gives you an idea), but it does heat your system up a bit. Nintendo has relied on passive cooling for standby mode because they didn't want the fan to make noise.

Don't worry, unless you break 60c, you won't hurt anything - and that won't happen in standby mode.

Member #
    Friends
    I noticed the same thing today... having wiiconnect24 on all the time, and after a few hours of not playing it, the console was pretty warm.
    WiiSports (obviously) / Redsteel / Excite Truck / TC:SO / Rayman RR / Wii Play / Sonic and the Secret Rings / Mad Catz Skinz

Member #
    Friends
    3507-4384-8234-9657
    Wow, I'll have to go check mine right now to see how warm it is.

*Edit*
    Yeah, it's definitely warm. Nothing alarming though. My wireless router is twice as warm as that 24/7.

Wii #: 3507 4384 8234 9657
    Name: Skylar

Father of four Wii kids DavidBeoulve's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Remember guys, Nintendo built these Wii's to run 24/7. Just don't leave them in a hot room or in the sun and you should be fine.

Member #
    Friends
    4532-8683-6668-7765
    Yeah, i was a bit worried at first because the next morning i checked it and it was warm. Nothing to worry about though because my 360 is like 100 time hotter than that when it's on

Ads