LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Need Wiress Cable Modem

I am looking for a Wireless Cable Modem that is compatible with the WII. I initially had my sights set on a Linksys WCG200 until I found out there were compatibility issues. So I am looking for something similar to that one.

Becuase of the locations of my cable ports in the house, I need a cable modem that will provide a direct connect into my PC and also provide a wireless signal through the house.

Ideally I would like to have this one appliance, rather than get a wireless router and other components.

Please help. I have used the search, but since I am brand new at this, I was getting overwhelmed rather quickly. My neighborhood finally got cable high speed and I am about to have it installed and get the WII shortly.

Thank you for your time.

Member #
    Friends
    Okay, here is what I have found so far. If anyone is doing something similar or using these applicances, let me know how they work please.

Linksys DCM-202 Cable Modem connected to a Linksys D-Link DIR-655

Essentially, my PC would direct connect to the D-Link Dir-655 and the Wii would grab the wireless signal from that.

Thoughts?

Member #
    Friends
    it should be fine
    modem >router >wii
    not only is that the common set up, but how else would you do it?
    goodluck

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I would definitely go the route of separate cable modem and wireless router. By looking for an "all in one" you're limiting your options and making troubleshooting more-difficult.

Plus that way you're free to get a better of either later on down the line. Routers improve faster than cable modems. A lot easier to just swap out the router.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    I agree that you should get separate components (cable modem and wireless router). But the Motorola SBG900 is an all-in-one unit, just FYI. The only limitation I'm aware of is it only supports WPA1, not WPA2. So it's a bit behind the times. That's why a separate wireless router is the better way to go.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Yes, go for WPA2. WPA2 > WPA > WEP > turd.

WPA2 means all the longer before people are freeloading off your internet connection.
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by sremick
    Yes, go for WPA2. WPA2 > WPA > WEP > turd.
    You've got the last two reversed.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryten
    You've got the last two reversed.
    You are correct. Covering your network with poop is more-likely to keep people out than using WEP encryption.

My bad.

Member #
    Friends
    Here are the two I am now seriously considering for wireless routers.

DLink DIR-655
    1. http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=530

DLink DGL-4500
    2. http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=643&#DGL-4500

Any experiences?

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    No particular love for D-Link. They are ok but nothing special. They don't suck, they're just... meh.

Do you really need 802.11n though? It won't make your internet any faster. Unless you're transmitting a lot of local LAN data between other computers/devices on your own network in your own house, even 802.11b can keep up with almost everyone's internet connection speed.

Ads