LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    yeah, HDMI does you no good with the Wii. but if you have anything else, like a DVD player or a different game system, you should definitely use HDMI. instead of sending an analog signal, it's all digital so there's less interference.

as for the Wii, the resolution doesn't really matter much. i'm sorry to say, but the wii looks pretty bad on a big flatscreen, just because it gets so pixelated. you can buy boxes that will upconvert the signal, so that might help if you want.

Member #
    Friends
    Thxs autumn and cooltd. I do have a xbox 360 that's play'd a lot. I also got an old playstation 1, dreamcast and N64, but we hardly every play those. Right now, my stuff is play'd on a 35" tv, I think it's a Sony. It looks decent to me, but like I said, I've never really be into the graphics and stuff, so I'm not sure what the graphics should look like.

I think I want maybe a 37 to 40" flat screen. Cooltd - will that cause it to get pixelated (whatever that means)

Also, what exactly is the diff'rnce b/t plasma and lcd?

Member #
    Friends
    stuff will look blocky and really fuzzy if you have standard definition on a big TV. i think you'd need high definition (720p or anything higher) for it to look good. i just got a 40" Samsung on saturday and watching normal TV is pretty painful.

it's really just preference. Plasmas don't last as long as LCD, but in terms of picture quality and stuff like that it doesn't really matter. LCD's are a lot brighter, but some don't do motion that well. if you want to watch lots of fast-paced stuff like hockey, then plasma would be better.

Member #
    Friends
    First, buy a TV that meets your overall needs and target requirements (resolution, price, refresh, features, inputs, etc) - don't get too caught up in the Wii part of the equation. At the end of the day, you want the best overall entertainment experience, which can include HDM (like Blueray or HD-D) or HD broadcast (either over-the-air or through a sub like DirecTV).

Low/Mid end plasma are only so-so (while there are some outstanding mid-range LCD for the same price) - simple economy of scale: way more manufacturers are using LCD tech (not to mention its wide scale use in phones, GPS, you-name-it).

A previous poster pretty much listed all the brands you'd want to consider!

Modern TV sets that aren't CRT's (that means all the LCD, DLP and Plasma) operate in a +single+ native resolution. 720P for example. This does not mean they can't handle non-native inputs, it just means every signal is converted to the native (through deinterlacing/upscaling/downsampling).

Since SD (Standard Definition) and ED (Enhanced Definition - i.e., the Wii via Component) will be upscaled/resampled, it tends to look a little "better" on older CRT tech - simply because analog tube based sets can adjust to display in native mode any supported resolution. A 480i SD signal displays at 480i on a CRT based RP set, but gets scaled up to 1080p on a native LCD 1080p set. Not that an LCD can't do decent SD, it just depends on the specific set (there's some variation in the built-in upscaler).

Conceptually HDMI being digital means that devices that output digital, keep the signal digital from the source to the display - all the aforementioned LCD/DLP/Plasma are digital. So if you output analog (composite/component) the signal has to be convert back to digital.

While in theory this might introduce artifacts, I've done several blind tests of HD sources from HDMI vs. Component, and it's extremely hard to tell the difference. However, for HDCP (Copy Protection), some devices won't output anything above SD on component. Several HD Media players won't send an upscaled DVD signal via component (only via HDMI).

Hopefully a few things from above were helpful!

Good Luck!
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    5820-3895-0352-0420
    Personally, I hook my Wii up to a 40" LCD HDTV all the time, and it looks much better. Maybe that's because Super Smash Bros Brawl has widescreen support, though. Most Wii games don't have such support, I think.
    SSBB FC: 3050-7266-1269 - Add me. Msg me with your code if you do My nickname is AWZ!
    PES 2009 FC: 1548-0990-5835

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnWind
    Personally, I hook my Wii up to a 40" LCD HDTV all the time, and it looks much better.
    I agree.

In the grand scheme of things the Wii looks fine upscaled to 720/1080 on most LCD sets. We run ours on a Sony 50" LCD and it's looks great. I mean, for the most part, the design direction in the game we play tends towards cartoonish anyway.

After having D* with dozens of HD channels and HD media players, there's no way I'd go non-HD, even if the Wii looked just a touch better. You'll note I wrote "better" above anyway, as it's subjective - CRTs are generally softer, so you're getting a little "free" anti-alias due to less clarity!
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    Sorry 4 taking up so much time. Ok, the sole purpose of the TV is for the Wii and xbox 360. The main games played r Call of Duty, Madden and Live 4 the xbox; and Far Cry, CoD, MoH, Sonic, Bully, RE4, Godfather & Big Brain for Wii. So, I'm not sure if they have widescreen support or not.

So from the info I have read, I'm look'n 4 a 37-40" LCD HDTV with at least 480p - 720p, at least 2 HDMI inputs, sumthin' w/ at least a 60hz refresh (whtev that means) and I need to buy some sort of cables for HD if I want to watch TV clearly. Is this right.

Member #
    Friends
    i think all xbox 360 games support widescreen so you shouldn't worry about that.
    if your xbox 360 is an elite, then you'll also need to buy an hdmi cable to take advantage of the hdmi connections on your hdtv. if it's not an elite, the component cables will do just fine.

for the wii you might also want to purchase component cables since you'll be using it on a big widescreen tv. i bought mine for $29.99, which is the official ones by nintendo but there are cheaper ones for under $20.

if you want to watch hd on your tv, you'll need to have an hd receiver, which can be subscribed to from your cable provider. the cables you need are the same for the consoles such as hdmi, component, or dvi, depending on what the available connections are on the receiver.

Member #
    Friends
    2041-2597-5864-0658
    don't be tight spend some money and you won't be dissappointed you get what you pay for

Member #
    Friends
    8294-6630-1949-8016
    Quote Originally Posted by sshhh
    don't be tight spend some money and you won't be dissappointed you get what you pay for
    Cause you know, some people have that money to spend?

Ads