LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

What type of TV should I buy to play the Wii

I'm looking to buy a tv to play my wii on. I searched the other threads but couldn't understand what they were talking about. I don't know what pixels are, nor jaggies, nor 480p or 1080p. Never had a HDTV, Plasma or LCD. So pls help me.

I know I want a flat screen about 32" or more @ a good price. I'm not into great, great graphics, so just as long as it looks decent. So, can u guys help me out with what I might need, as far as cables (xbox will also be hooked to the tv), choosing a brand and stuff like that.

Member #
    Friends
    8294-6630-1949-8016
    480p is the lowest form of "hi-def"(not even considered HD) and is what most games on the Wii run.

Honestly, any TV that supports 480p will do you good. If I'm not mistaken, as long as the TV has the red/green/blue outlets on the back next to the red/yellow/white support 480p. It'll show the highest quality that Wii games can be in. You'll have to get HD cables for it, though.

I think most Standard TVs come with the outlets in the back.
    Last edited by VidyaVince; 03-20-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    Thx for the reply - I've been searching for a tv @ BestBuy & most say something about 720p, so do I need something that says 480p exactly or will the 720p do fine.
    Last edited by kbearmoney; 03-20-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    8294-6630-1949-8016
    Quote Originally Posted by kbearmoney
    Thx for the reply - I've been searching for a tv @ BestBuy & most say something about 720p, so do I need something that says 480p exactly or will the 720p do fine.
    If you end up getting a TV that supports 720p, you should be able to connect your Wii with 480p. That's the highest detail the Wii can get.

On the other hand, your Xbox will be playing in 720p, which is very nice.

Member #
    Friends
    get a hdtv. it's cool it's cheap and the wii has a function to u pdate on hdtv's.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakatana
    get a hdtv. it's cool it's cheap and the wii has a function to u pdate on hdtv's.
    I read sumwhr that I would have to get special cables to watch hdtv & if I don't the picture looks bad when watching regular tv - is that true. If so, how much are the cables?

Member #
    Friends
    5820-3895-0352-0420
    Cables can be really expensive at stores like Best Buy, etc. Buy those things online at places like Newegg.com or Buy.com.

As for the TV, the Wii's 480p will be supported on any TV that does 480p or above, all you have to do is get the Wii component cables for 10-15 dollars and plug it in. Most cheaper HDTVs are at least 720p (which means they'll support 480p and 720p resolution). That should be fine, better is always cool though. What's important is to make sure the TV has a good refresh rate: 60hz is the standard, any lower will probably cause things to lag. I recently played Smash Bros on a LCD TV with a low refresh rate, and it lagged like mad. Don't get anything with refresh lower than 60hz.

Finally, since you seem new to all this, for a 32 inch LCD HDTV, try to look for something around 600 dollars. Higher than that, and you're really paying a premium for whatever you're getting. Lower than that, be sure to research it carefully to make sure it isn't really crappy. Really good brands are Sharp, Sony, and Samsung, and some cheaper brands that get good reviews are Westinghouse and Vizio. Also, LCD is generally cheaper, plasma is very slightly better quality picture overall, but LCD is fine for pretty much everything you need.

And finally, try to avoid used or refurbished units.
    Last edited by AutumnWind; 03-21-2008 at 07:56 PM.
    SSBB FC: 3050-7266-1269 - Add me. Msg me with your code if you do My nickname is AWZ!
    PES 2009 FC: 1548-0990-5835

Member #
    Friends
    Thx AutumnWind 4 ur help

A friend told me to get a LCD, not to get a plasma, b/c sumthing about when play'n the games a lot, when I turn them off, the game image could freeze on the screen and remain even when watching regular tv. Does nebody know if that's true?

Also, while searching 4 tvs I see sumthing called HDMI inputs. What is that, sum have 2 or 3 which do I need, or is that not important?

Member #
    Friends
    8294-6630-1949-8016
    Also, while searching 4 tvs I see sumthing called HDMI inputs. What is that, sum have 2 or 3 which do I need, or is that not important?
    Could be useful for your Xbox(depending on the one you have), but no point for it Wii-wise.

Member #
    Friends
    5820-3895-0352-0420
    Thx AutumnWind 4 ur help

A friend told me to get a LCD, not to get a plasma, b/c sumthing about when play'n the games a lot, when I turn them off, the game image could freeze on the screen and remain even when watching regular tv. Does nebody know if that's true?

Generally speaking, LCD TVs are less prone to getting images stuck on the screen (this is called burn-in), yes. Although, unless you leave the same image on the screen for... a day.. or two... then you shouldn't have a problem anyway.

HDMI is an alternative to other sources of input, the HD stands for high definition. It's just another way of plugging other things into your TV. HD-capable things will utilize this. It's always nice to have a few, generally, a new HDTV should have at least three or so.
    Last edited by AutumnWind; 03-22-2008 at 03:55 AM.
    SSBB FC: 3050-7266-1269 - Add me. Msg me with your code if you do My nickname is AWZ!
    PES 2009 FC: 1548-0990-5835

Ads