Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by -Death-
    It just encases the wii so the fan can run and u can insert games.
    If it's letting the fan draw air through the Wii, then it's letting smoke into the Wii too and not protecting the laser optics from smoke build-up at all. So it's not a solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    It makes plenty of sense for smoke to completely ruin your Wii.
    I remember when we first moved into our home, I spent hours scrubbing the thick film of smoke off my bedroom walls. It was terrible. If it sticks to the Wii as bad as it does to walls, that can be a big problem later on.

Member #
    Friends
    6131-4404-6382-0010
    Quote Originally Posted by sremick
    Genius? Are you crazy?

You do realize that the Wii has a fan, right?
    You do realize what the fan is for, right?
    You do realize what happens when you block the airflow?
    You do realize how many other threads there are about Wii hardware damage from overheating?

You can't both protect the Wii from smoke and let it breathe and keep cool, without a huge, dense filter (huge so it doesn't restrict airflow for the Wii's puny fan).
    I said why not cover it when it's not being used. When it's not being used it's not turned on...therefore anything you've mentioned about fans is moot.
    I don't claim to be a genius, but I'd say it's fair to assume you're not one either with that sort of retort ;-)
    Or perhaps you just didn't read very well :-P
    Last edited by Skitz0; 03-26-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    5930-2204-0713-5850
    haha moot. if lung cancer aint gonna make you quit, the threat to your wii must at least push you to. Slide your finger down your wall, if it turns yellow, then you gotta problem and so does your wii

Its not my fault im a fast reader

Who cares about that? i have brawl! FC: 0817-3472-1993. PM me if you add me.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Skitz0
    I said why not cover it when it's not being used. When it's not being used it's not turned on...therefore anything you've mentioned about fans is moot.
    I don't claim to be a genius, but I'd say it's fair to assume you're not one either with that sort of retort ;-)
    Or perhaps you just didn't read very well :-P
    Do you always jump right to insulting forum longtime forums members when just on your 3rd post? Gives us lots of incentive to try and help you in the future.

The Wii's fan runs even when it's "off". This was added with recent firmware updates as a way to try and control the overheating that is damaging Wii's.

Unless you're totally unplugging it when you're not using it, but I doubt that. And even if you are, the fan runs while it's on, pulling that smokey air through the Wii's delicate optics.

So nice try, but no. It's not a solution. If you care about your Wii (and your health), don't smoke.
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    2011-9992-2025-2233
    This thread is a total DUR!, Its like saying sex with a prostitute = Penis problems.
    If You Add My Wii Code, Please PM me with your code so i can add you. THANKS

Member #
    Friends
    5930-2204-0713-5850
    Why did you capitalize "Penis"?

Its not my fault im a fast reader

Who cares about that? i have brawl! FC: 0817-3472-1993. PM me if you add me.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Some people will delude themselves and believe anything it takes to allow them to justify doing something they know deep down is bad for them. One way or another, they're going to do whatever they want, even if it means convincing themselves the earth is flat or the sun rises in the west.

josh85 asked a question and has been given the truth. I guess it's going to be a given that the pro-smoking addicts are going to come out of the woodwork and sell their snakeoil to try and contradict the painfully-obvious and ridiculously-simple truth, and somehow make smoking+Wii seem "ok".

Whatever. Kill your Wii, I don't care. It's your $300. Smoking makes you live longer so it must be good for the Wii. It floats, too. Throw it in a bucket of water. It'll be fine.

-Phil from Kill Yourself- -Death-'s Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    3122-5393-8444-1451
    *Newscaster Music*
    This just in. Smoke of the right kind makes games more fun. If catch my drift.
    Just like second hand smoke kills vans of children, of course the smoke will damage the optics. Its not like smoke will help the wii. Of course there is a Wii at the bar that i regular and its been running fine. Maybe it just needs a drink to go with that smoke.
    And yeah the Air does flow through the Wii so maybe you should buy a oxygen tank and buy a glass case for the wii to. Cause Global Warming man. It's comming.
    -I didn't come from the "Woodworks with snakeoil", i came from the bowels of Hell with a keyboard and mouse. (And my NES gun)-

Has anyone tried smoking a Wii?
    Last edited by -Death-; 03-26-2008 at 11:29 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    6131-4404-6382-0010
    Well I wasn't trying to insult, hence the emotes.

I'll admit I did not know that a fan is still running when it's in standby mode.

Though, I'd find it hard to believe that a simple plastic bag over the wii or something similar that still allows airflow but filtering it, would have any risk of overheating when it's in standby mode.

I suppose you can argue this point all you want, but to me it's fairly logical.

*shrugs* I was only trying to help. Most people that smoke understand it's unhealthy and typically want to quit, but it's easier said than done.
    Helping with little remedies like this is at least a bit more productive than saying "it's bad for your lunges" or "just quit".

Ads