LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Special case of Wii not powering on.

Hi I'm new in this forum. My wii simply doesn't turn on anymore. I have seen other threads however none of them applies to my case...

Since about a year ago, my wii wouldn't read many discs, so, since there is no FREE nintendo hardware support where I live in Mexico, I decided to open it up and clean up the reader. I had to do that several times until TODAY. I opened it up and since cleaning the reader no longer worked, I figured increasing the potentiometer would work.

It actually worked more or less fine, so I decided to open it up again to increase it just a bit further. BUT after increasing just tiny bit of the potentionmeter I decided to turn on the wii to check how good was it. However I accidentally presed the led instead of the power botton with my screwdriver and suddenly a little bit of smoke rose up and from there after it would no longer turn on. (Note that the wii front cover was off)

I don't know what to do, I'm panicked. I've had that wii since launch and it has ALL my save games. I wouldn't mind that much buying a new wii if i could only rescue my saves.

Does anybody hay any idea on what to do?

2. Ads

CodSemi-veteran/WiiHacker CARL0NGAS's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0057-7688-3369-1543
    Hiya, its me. I COULD help ya out a bit. What you could possibly do is buy a new Wii and have a memory transplant (more or less like a kidney or liver transplant) but what i highly advise next time you get a wii, INSTALL BOOTMII ;D

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Well, you fried your Wii. There's nothing really anyone can do now.

They're not made to be user-servicable. There's a reason the Wii uses security screws... it's a way of Nintendo telling you: "Don't open this up, there's nothing you can do and you'll probably do damage". Which you did.

Those potentiometers are meant to be calibrated at the factory by a trained technician using special tools. Not people messing around with a screwdriver because the figured out how to open the Wii.

I understand there's no free support in Mexico but you should've opted for some sort of paid professional support, because as you'll see now that would've been cheaper than a new Wii (and having to start all-over on all your games).
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Ads