Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    hey

WAIT
    I just googled your monitors specs, and it seems it may have Component ports (I will try and confirm this), which means you wouldn't even need a VGA Box, just the Nintendo Wii Component cables. Also, the VGA Box you linked to has Component input, so you would need the Nintendo Wii Component cables to use it. The regular Composite cables would not work with that VGA Box.

Finally, I should warn you to be careful with your selection of VGA Box, as I have heard some (or many?) produce a bad picture quality. You should try and find reviews and stuff to ensure it will produce a nice picture quality.

But yea, I think you won't even need a VGA Box , just the Nintendo Wii Component cables, but I will try and confirm this for you. Well if you see 3 RCA connectors on the back of your monitor, then I'd say they are the Component inputs .

edit
    Sorry, I'm now quite sure your monitor doesn't have Component ports :\. So yea, you will need a VGA Box, unless you somehow modify a Nintendo Wii Component cable into VGA (hd-15) cable.

Ohh, and I think if the VGA Box you get doesn't require power from your PC, then it should work okay without your computer switched on.

Finally, I thought you may want to read a post I made in this thread, about the picture quality on LCD based displays.

cyas
    Last edited by yosh64; 11-26-2006 at 02:07 AM.

Certified Public Asshole Kamikaze's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1130-2954-1680-3052
    You got many ways you can hook up your Wii via online:

The Cheapest Way:

Buy a WiFi usb adaptor from any electronic store, it usually sells for 39.99 (USD), and it's mostly referred to as for use of the DS but in the manual itself states that you can use it.

The Original Way:

Get a Wii adaptor, which is coming soon and hook up all the wiring and stuff.

The Best Way:

Get a Wireless router (good ones cost around 70, you may be able to bargain though.), and once you hook up the Wireless router, you can have your Wii anywhere in your household and be connected, this as well goes for laptops as well as the 360 and the Ps3.

If I don't know you, and if I don't talk to you on the forums, don't send me a friend request. I won't add you and will not give you an explanation.

Member #
    Friends
    hey

After quickly looking over the teamxbox.com VDigi Electronics Enhanced VD-Z3 Review, I think it would be a nice VGA Box to get .

I thought I'd quote something I think is useful to know from that review.
    The first thing you need to know about the Enhanced VD-Z3 is that it is a true VGA adapter, or what is known as a transcoder; meaning it converts both progressive and HDTV video signals to the VGA standard accepted by most desktop monitors. If you see a VGA adapter that is suspiciously cheap, it is more than likely just a “scan doubler”; a device that only accepts standard TV signals (interlaced) and converts them to VGA. These low-priced VGA adapters won’t let you enjoy HDTV on your computer monitor.
    edit
    Hmm, I'm not sure now... I just read that it may not support all monitors or something? maybe it's todo with what resolutions your monitor supports? See HERE. Hmm, what region Nintendo Wii do you have? If you have a PAL system, then your monitor may not support it? as I think for a PAL system the resolution would be 720x576 or 704x576. But if you have a NTSC system, then I think it would work on your monitor, as for a NTSC system the resolution would be 640x480 .

But yea, I think your monitor only supports resolutions of... 1024x768, 1152x870, 1152x900, 1280x1024, 640x480, 720x400, 800x600, 832x624, and 640x350.

cyas
    Last edited by yosh64; 11-26-2006 at 02:56 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    2319-8640-8665-4952
    there is such a thing called a adaptec gamebridge which converts the red yellow white into a usb plug! mabye you could use that!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by yosh64
    hey

After quickly looking over the teamxbox.com VDigi Electronics Enhanced VD-Z3 Review, I think it would be a nice VGA Box to get .

I thought I'd quote something I think is useful to know from that review.

edit
    Hmm, I'm not sure now... I just read that it may not support all monitors or something? maybe it's todo with what resolutions your monitor supports? See HERE. Hmm, what region Nintendo Wii do you have? If you have a PAL system, then your monitor may not support it? as I think for a PAL system the resolution would be 720x576 or 704x576. But if you have a NTSC system, then I think it would work on your monitor, as for a NTSC system the resolution would be 640x480 .

But yea, I think your monitor only supports resolutions of... 1024x768, 1152x870, 1152x900, 1280x1024, 640x480, 720x400, 800x600, 832x624, and 640x350.

cyas
    Hmmm, this is worrying me. I have not got my Wii as of yet, but I'm planning to very soon (just need to work all this stuff out). If I bought a Wii in Sweden, would it be the same as the one I would buy in England? And then would that version be the same as the Australian one? I can easily order an Australian one if it would make everything easier. I really need all this sorted out asap... I'm trying to find out if that box you showed me would work with my monitor.

Another question is on my mind also. I was thinking about all this and then I realised I needed sound also... Obviously. How would I go about that? Does this VGA box have something I can plug speakers into? As in computer speakers? Or would I need to buy other speakers.

God... this is all so stressful.
    Playstation fanboy converted to Nintendo

Member #
    Friends
    hey

Firstly, Australia, England and Sweden all use PAL based systems.

What is your current sound setup on your computer? do you just have stereo speakers? Do they plug into a stereo input? Well, I think you get a female Stereo RCA to female Jack Plug with the ZD-Z3 , which you could plug standard stereo speakers into. But I think if you want to have your speakers hooked up to both your Nintendo Wii and Computer at the same time, then I think you will also need like a female to 2x male Stereo Y Splitter cable, which I think you may beable to get them from most electronic stores for very cheap. I think you would plug your speakers into the female jack, and plug one of the male jacks into the ZD-Z3's audio cable, and the other male jack into your computer .

Finally, I fired off an email to VDigi Electronics to confirm a few things.
    Quote Originally Posted by yosh64 email to VDigi Electronics
    hey

I am writing this email to try and help someone determind if the VD-Z3 will work on their monitor. They would like to use it along with a PAL region Nintendo Wii.

Here are some details about their monitor that I think you would need to know.

LG Flatron L1919S, Flat Panel LCD TFT (Active Matrix)
    Resolutions supported: 1024x768, 1152x870, 1152x900, 1280x1024, 640x480, 720x400, 800x600, 832x624, 640x350
    Vertical Synchronization Range: 56 - 75 Hz
    Horizontal Synchronization Range: 30 - 83 kHz

I was wondering if the VD-Z3 supports the PAL 576p @ 50Hz? as I think this is what the PAL region Nintendo Wii will output, rather than 480p @ 60Hz output by NTSC region Nintendo Wii systems (I was thinking maybe if you set the VD-Z3 to "Automatic format").

I have also read that various monitors aren't supported, and I was wondering why this is so? Is this due to the monitors not supporting the resolutions output by the console/ZD-V3? or is this due to something else?

Finally, I wanted to confirm if the VD-Z3 can output at a different resolution to the input resolution? I was a bit unsure, as I did read "Input and Output at same scanning format" in the "Supported Component In Video Modes" specs, but wasn't sure if this applied to all modes, or was specific to one mode or something.

Thanks, and I hope this is not to much trouble :\.

cyas
    Hmm, maybe someone else here can answer these questions?

cyas
    Last edited by yosh64; 11-26-2006 at 08:24 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by yosh64
    hey

Firstly, Australia, England and Sweden all use PAL based systems.

What is your current sound setup on your computer? do you just have stereo speakers? Do they plug into a stereo input? Well, I think you get a female Stereo RCA to female Jack Plug with the ZD-Z3 . But I think if you want to have your speakers hooked up to your Nintendo Wii and Computer at the same time, then I think you will also need like a female to 2x male Stereo Y Splitter cable, which I think you may beable to get them from most electronic stores (you would plug your speakers into the female jack, and plug one of the male jacks into the ZD-Z3's audio cable, and the other male jack into your computer , so I thinks).

Finally, I fired off an email to VDigi Electronics to confirm a few things.

Hmm, maybe someone else here can answer these questions?

cyas
    You are a savior. Let me finish off this research and I will post what I have found out so far. Thanks so much Buddie.

Member #
    Friends
    6621-1891-4219-6112
    yeah i wanna get the cables so i can just go straight from monitor to console kinda like what im doing with my 360 right now...

Member #
    Friends
    Ok, to answer the speaker question. I just use normal PC speakers that plug into the speaker/headphone sockets (green and red/orange). Do I need to buy differant speakers? It should be no problem I guess. I will do what I can to make it so it doesnt have to run through my computer.

I guess all we need to figure out now is if that box supports my monitor... If so then I'm home free!

EDIT: I also have the option of useing this: Acer AL1916W
    Last edited by Flesh Warlord; 11-26-2006 at 08:47 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    hey

Just remember you will need the Nintendo Wii Component cables, and will need to set the Nintendo Wii to output at 576p/480p (progressive scan), rather than the regular 576i/480i (interlaced) for the VD-Z3 to function.

I think the Nintendo Wii Component cables may be hard to get hold of, and I think you can only get the official ones from the Nintendo Online store (or maybe by phone) or something. I did come accross a 3rd party Nintendo Wii Component cable, but not sure of the quality of them (and be aware of the quite expensive postage cost, as I think they are shipped from hong kong). I also heard that Mad Catz (well known maker of console accessories) maybe making some Component cables, but arn't sure of this.

Ohh, and I just heard that the PAL systems actually output at 480p, rather than 576p (although I don't know if this is really so, as I read from a comment by someone called Harkan on a gonintendo.com blog). Hmm, I think this is nice news for you, but the bad news is what Harkan states about the availability of the official Nintendo Wii Component cables in Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harkan from gonintendo.com
    NoE ansered me in an email that Wii is going to output 480p and doesn’t even upscale itself. It’s up to your TV to do so to get a fullscreen picture on PAL progressive TVs since Wii neither supports PALoptimal (540p) nor PAL progressive (576p) yet.

Oh, btw. I heard from my retailer that they won’t get Component Cables until mid/end of January so Europeans have it much worse to their hands on theses cables.
    edit
    Actually, I think the availability of the official Nintendo Wii Component cables is alike everywhere. So yea, just try and order them from somewhere online ASAP, as I don't think you will see them in stores for a while.

cyas
    Last edited by yosh64; 11-26-2006 at 09:01 PM.

Ads