LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Hooking Wii up to PC monitor? And a few other things.

Original post:

Hello guys,

I'm getting a Wii soon and I need something confirmed. The only real place I can use my Wii would be at my PC, using my 19" Monitor (FLATRON L1919S & Acer AL1916W). I'm wondering if it's possible and what gear I would need to do so.
    Someone told me I need a VGA box VDigi Electronics. Obviously I don't want to go out and buy one without knowing this for sure first. Also, would I need my computer to be running for this? Would it lag at all?

Ok also, atm I live in Sweden with my girlfriend, but we are soon moving back home to Australia... Will my European Wii be able to run Australian games?

Thanks guys.

Information shared:

Through what I have gathered, if your monitor does not support 'Component video output or Composite video output' you will need a VGA box. A good one can be found at VDigi Electronics Enhanced VD-Z3 Review - Xbox & Component cables from a select few online stores.
    (Note: Make sure the VGA box will support your monitor, there are a few that will not be compatible)

Also @ the game regions. Apparently games from Australia will work fine on the UK Wii consoles. Visa Versa. (I could really do with someone confirming this)

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Flesh Warlord; 11-27-2006 at 05:25 PM.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Quote Originally Posted by Flesh Warlord
    Hello guys,

I'm getting a Wii soon and I need something confirmed. The only real place I can use my Wii would be at my PC, using my 19" Monitor (FLATRON L1919S). I'm wondering if it's possible and what gear I would need to do so.
    Someone told me I need a VGA box VDigi Electronics. Obviously I don't want to go out and buy one without knowing this for sure first. Also, would I need my computer to be running for this? Would it lag at all?

Ok also, atm I live in Sweden with my girlfriend, but we are soon moving back home to Australia... Will my European Wii be able to run Australian games?

Thanks guys.
    Any type of AV to VGA box or adapter/cable will work.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrant
    Any type of AV to VGA box or adapter/cable will work.
    Ok awesome. Will I need my pc running for this? Or will it go directly from the Wii -> Monitor?
    Also, could you link me to one that would be ideal? So I know exactly what I'm looking at.

(P.S. What does AV/VGA stand for? ^ ^)
    Last edited by Flesh Warlord; 11-25-2006 at 07:53 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    1858-1536-2592-3221
    I can't completely confirm the Sweden/Australia video covnersion, but if both countries are using the same video format, either NTSC or PAL, there shouldn't be a problem. The PC would not be involved in the conversion either, just the cable converting it to VGA.

Edit: DVDCity: Check out key DVD Player features pretty sure they use PAL.
    Last edited by ftcmark; 11-25-2006 at 07:53 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Ok awesome. Will I need my pc running for this? Or will it go directly from the Wii -> Monitor?
    Also, could you link me to one that would be ideal? So I know exactly what I'm looking at.

(P.S. What does AV/VGA stand for? ^ ^)
    You have to hook your monitor into the Transceiver/Converter, so no, your PC will be nowhere in the equation.

Just unplug it from your PC and back in when you want to use your computer.

AV = Audio Video cable meaning the yellow red white. VGA meaning the most common form of Monitor cable.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    Thanks alot guys, you cleared everything up! I'm looking forward very much to playing my Wii.

One more thing though... On that link you gave me ftcmark, it says Sweden/UK is a different region code to Australia. Is that a bad thing? :S If so I guess I could just get one sent from Australia and order my games from their also.

Btw, is this what I need: (VDigi Electronics)
    Playstation fanboy converted to Nintendo

Member #
    Friends
    1858-1536-2592-3221
    Hi,

I think region only matters for DVD's, however, I'm not an expert. Video standards are the biggy. Here's a quote.

"If you're in North America, Japan, Korea, the Philippines and parts of South America, you use NTSC. Most other areas of the world use PAL or SECAM. Half of Brazil uses NTSC while the other half uses PAL-M. Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay use PAL-N. The rest of the world uses mainly PAL. If you're unsure what your video standard is, contact your local cable or broadcast company. Also, on the back of most video tapes is indicate what video standard the tape is. This is a good representation of what your video standard is."

I could be way off, but when I look at consoles on ebay, I always see the video standards as well.

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Thanks alot guys, you cleared everything up! I'm looking forward very much to playing my Wii.

One more thing though... On that link you gave me ftcmark, it says Sweden/UK is a different region code to Australia. Is that a bad thing? :S If so I guess I could just get one sent from Australia and order my games from their also.

Btw, is this what I need: (VDigi Electronics)
    Yes that is exactly what you need.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    ftcmark that quote unease's me. But I will figure it out.

Once again, thanks alot guys, huge help to me. I am usually alright with computers, but this is a whole new area to me. Anyway, I should be around these forums a fair bit, now that I'm getting a Wii. So cya round.
    Playstation fanboy converted to Nintendo

Member #
    Friends
    1858-1536-2592-3221
    Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I am 99% sure both countries use PAL, so it shouldn't be an issue with the wii.

Ads