+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SD memory

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4054-9249-4284-3802
    Quote Originally Posted by phiggey
    I dont see why it would have to be formatted by Nintendo - why else would they use SD other than the fact that those cards are already readily available from a multitude of manufacturers plus a lot of people already have these cards for their digital cameras/phones/mp3 players etc.

Now, that said, Im sure that Nintendo will produce their own SD cards specifically for Wii(for they could possible work in other applicaions as well, but I dont see the point in calling it an SD slot if it is not compatible with a standard SD card. I also heard that Nintendo would have cards capable of 7 gigs of storage - can anybody confirm?
    While you may not be able to insert your own SD Card that you use with your camera, or mp3 player into the sd slot, you will probably be able to connect a USB SD Card reader into one of the two USB ports on the back of the Wii and save your games-saves, or what have you, onto that card, or any memory card for that matter.
    Last edited by NateTheGreat; 07-12-2006 at 09:32 PM.
    "Whatever you do may seem insignificant, but it is most important that you do it." - GANDHI

Picture created by: NateTheGreat

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by NateTheGreat
    While you may not be able to insert your own SD Card that you use with your camera, or mp3 player into the sd slot, you will probably be able to connect a USB SD Card reader into one of the two USB ports on the back of the Wii and save your games-saves, or what have you, onto that card, or any memory card for that matter.
    Dont all in one readers generally hook up via USB?

Member #
    Friends
    time out, maybe I should read everything before I repost

Wii online moderator registerednerd's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Here's my rundown:

(this one has been mentioed) the different sizes of cards refered to above are not SD cards at all. each different size and shape is an entirely different technology, SD is only the name of one of them.

Formatting has nothing to do with the card itself. It really is more a matter of what is on the card. It's just like in the old floppy disk days, you had to format the disk. The disk itself was still exactly the same, but the way the data is stored is different. In order to prevent piracy I would think it fairly likely that it will have to be Nintendo formatted, but you won't need a special card to do that. Just put it in the slot and go to the right menu (look in the menu of you camera, I can almost guarantee that you will find a similar function)

I highly doubt that there will ever be blank DS cards available, much less from Nintendo. Just think, if you had a blank DS card and a borrowed DS game, what would you do with them?

Yes, the smiley selection could use some work
    ... but what do I know?...
    Not currently accepting friend adds.

Member #
    Friends
    I dont know if this has been said, but in reference to how large SD cards are these days. . . Ive seen a few 4 gig cards that run between $75 and $110.

Just another thought for those of you brits out there. . . Does shift + 4 produce the pound currency symbol? . . . random. . .

Member #
    Friends
    phiggey no it doesn't and you will probably find that the 7 Gig cards nintendo make will cost far less than a random one

because as with most of the things in this console they are just above production price

Member #
    Friends
    ^ Im afraid I dont know what you mean. The question of whether nintendo can even produce a 7 gig SD card is a mystery to me. I guess they could always make a large card that just has an SD compatible interface. Maybe the cost in these high capacity (4G) SD cards is from puting all of that storage into something the size of a quarter (thats a medium sized american coin by the way) But anyway, please clarify your statement about "above production price"

Wii online moderator registerednerd's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    ^ Im afraid I dont know what you mean. The question of whether nintendo can even produce a 7 gig SD card is a mystery to me. I guess they could always make a large card that just has an SD compatible interface. Maybe the cost in these high capacity (4G) SD cards is from puting all of that storage into something the size of a quarter (thats a medium sized american coin by the way) But anyway, please clarify your statement about "above production price"
    it means they sell it for just a little bit more than what it costs them to make it. And I dont' quite understand the size issue either. I've even opened up an DS card once, the actual storage space it smaller yet, about like a dime cut in half (dime=small american coin)
    ... but what do I know?...
    Not currently accepting friend adds.

Member #
    Friends
    Ahh, so in other words Nintendo has virtually no mark-up on there products. Again, this is not true - everyone has a markup. It is how they make money. Now nintendo's could be less than competitors, I really dont know, - but they do mark stuff up I would guess by at least 20%

Interesting thoughts on the SD card size. . . I dont know what to think of it. I honestly dont know why I would need 7 gigs of memory on a single card. that only makes it suck that much more when you lose it.

Member #
    Friends
    Interesting thoughts on the SD card size. . . I dont know what to think of it. I honestly dont know why I would need 7 gigs of memory on a single card. that only makes it suck that much more when you lose it.
    wow, I can't imagine 7GB on an SD card, that would be tight tho. when the cards get that jam packed w/memory, does the chance of the card going bad increase or the life of the card decrease?

as far as a large gb card vs. several small gb cards, it's all preference. do you want to keep everything on ONE card & not have to juggle several diff. cards when you're looking for your save & risk losing EVERYTHING if you lose the card or it goes bad? or do you want to keep everything spread out on several cards & lose much less if the card disappears? They both have their merits.

Ads