+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DVD on Wii

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2933-4212-3707-5538

DVD on Wii

Didn't know if anyone else was interested in this. I saw that nintendo is releasing a wii with dvd playback capabilities in Japan but the relese on the new system in other teritories is not planned. I saw this on Wikipedia.
    The field mouse is fast, but the owl sees at night.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    6520-0310-8610-0194
    I saw that too. Of course at a higher price. Come think of it I don't believe I need a DVD enabled Wii. I have enough DVD players around my home

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    this came from a statement a while back. Noone knows if it is still going to happen, except for nintendo of course.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    6031-8713-1077-8188
    you can buy dvd players for 19.99 or 29.99 on sale like every week so why would i wait for one in the wii...plus the new wii will be more then 300 bucks!
    iMac 2.4ghz Aluminum, 4GB iPhone, 12 iPods!

Member #
    Friends
    Also, as I've said before, watching movies on game systems, in the past, has been a VERY bad idea. When I used to manage a GameStop, we had people with broken systems come in all the time.

They'd tell us their PS2 or XBOX just quit working. We'd always ask if they'd watched a bunch of movies on it, and 99.9% of the time they'd tell us that they always watched movies on it.

No thanks; I wouldn't chance it. I promptly sold my XBOX DVD playback kit shortly after I started working there.

Member #
    Friends
    Plus you probably want a HD-DVD or BluRay DVD player sooner or later for higher video quality, and Wii is not going to give us that. So just make sure we got a good console.

Member #
    Friends
    2528-7696-5174-8862
    Why do you need a DVD player its a game console sure its convient if you have it but I find my DVD player is alot better than my Xbox or my mates PS2.

Member #
    Friends
    0668-3981-2503-5396
    the wii has a dvd drive in it so lets just hope it will be abled soon!!

Member #
    Friends
    4213-2578-3843-0782
    I have probably a dozen DVD players I ink nintendo assumes that if you're getting a wii you've probably already gotten a DVD player. I'm not saying that a DVD enabled wii wouldn't rock though!
    Wii can do anything better than You

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by deity_link
    Why do you need a DVD player its a game console sure its convient if you have it but I find my DVD player is alot better than my Xbox or my mates PS2.
    Well... Look at what the Wii can already do. Built-in wifi, bluetooth, photo, video, audio playback (files on SD card), email, oh... and it plays games too . Soon it will have a web browser, information portals ("channels").

In contrast to Microsoft's "big splash" noise about making the 360 a multimedia device (and it does a great job), Nintendo is taking a stealth approach to the living room. Depending upon the quality and functionality of the Opera web browser, that feature alone makes the Wii appealing to older non-gamers who simply want access to the web without the complexity of a PC. (The only reason I upgraded my parents to a notebook PC from a WebTV was because the WebTV browser couldn't display many of the latest web pages)

I agree, DVD playback support on the Wii isn't critical, or even very important in the context of a game console. But if Nintendo plans to make it more than "just a game console", then DVD playback is a nice addition.

Ads