LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    If that's the ip of your ad-hoc PC, I would put that as the default gateway in the Wii network settings. Your Wii ip needs to be something in the range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.255 but be careful, because some of these ip's might be used by other equipment on your network.

Not exactly sure how you have your ad-hoc pc set up, but before you assign any ip to your Wii, use the Ping command to make sure it's not already in use.

(Start -> Run, type in CMD)
    type 'ping 192.168.0.<whatever number you want the Wii ip to be>'
    if you get no repsonse when all your network equipment is connected and powered up, then it's safe to assume that you can use that ip for your Wii.

Type 'exit' to close the dos box.

You might have to allow that ip in ur ad-hoc setup, depends how you have it set up.

If I were you, I'd buy a modem-router They are so much simpler, most have a decent firewall and you won't need to have your ad-hoc pc turned on in order to connect your Wii (or anything else) to the net.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Don't use 192.168.0.255. That is broadcast.

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    4815-8156-1119-5344
    aarrrrggg - this is really beginning to annoy me!

ive tried turning off WEP, and using differing ip details as detailed above but it still doesnt connect due to an Error 51032 - Even tho it finds the wireless access point and has the 'unlocked' icon...

ive pinged the ip address to make sure no other network devices are on the same address, and that cant find anything...

beginning to lose hope, any suggestions welcome - is there any settings on the ad-hoc host which i need to tweak??

cheers

Member #
    Friends
    It's possible that your ad-hoc setup is using mac-filtering which is a security measure used alongside WEP encryption. Obviously your Wii can see your wireless network, an see that it isn't encrypted hence the open padlock.

A mac address is a unique code given to every piece of networkable hardware. It comes in the form xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx, where xx can be 00 to FF (hexadecimal notation). Basically, there is sometimes a list of "allowed mac codes" on the server, and it only allows a wireless device to connect if it matches one of these codes. So even if someone was to guess your WEP key which is highly unlikely, they still can't connect unless the mac address of their pc is in your mac filter list.

I use a combination of WEP and mac filtering on my system. Incidentally, I have connected the Wii using 128bit WEP encryption with no problem at all. There are so many things that could be blocking your access, it's hard to nail it down without actually being there

I'm wondering if the Wii actually *needs* WEP encryption, or could it work over an unencrypted wireless network. Not sure on that one.

Are you running any software on the ad-hoc pc to act as a wireless server ??

[update]: OK, I've since found out that the Wii can connect to unencrypted networks, so that's not your problem.

Might be worth you reading this...

HELPFILE

... which might help.

Another problem might be that even though you have manually assigned an ip for your Wii, your ad-hoc pc isn't assigning a DNS server. You should maybe point the Wii to the ad-hoc pc ip for the dns server too, worth a try.

And make sure the SSID that you entered into the Wii matches *exactly* the SSID of your wireless network. If you had "broadcast SSID" enabled on your server, you probably just selected it from a list when the Wii found all available networks. In this case, you won't have to type anything in, and the SSID setup field should already be filled in correctly. But it is important.
    Last edited by Goots; 12-15-2006 at 04:15 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Quote Originally Posted by phill
    aarrrrggg - this is really beginning to annoy me!

ive tried turning off WEP, and using differing ip details as detailed above but it still doesnt connect due to an Error 51032 - Even tho it finds the wireless access point and has the 'unlocked' icon...

ive pinged the ip address to make sure no other network devices are on the same address, and that cant find anything...

beginning to lose hope, any suggestions welcome - is there any settings on the ad-hoc host which i need to tweak??

cheers
    It must be something with the USB modem. Do you have two connections listed on that computer? One for the wireless ad-hoc and one for the incoming from the modem?

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    Kind of a basic question, but do you have internet sharing enabled and correctly setup, can you connect other pcs to the internet through this same connection, if not then that might be your problem.
    If you never try you may never fail, but you will also never succeed.

Member #
    Friends
    2278-8709-0543-4037
    I seem to be having the same problem as you are, except for the fact that I can't even get my Wii to notice the Wireless device. When I search for WAP's I get nothing on the list. I was hoping that maybe someone could help me.

First of all, I set up the wireless device for ad-hoc connection, and I shared my normal connection to the wireless device. I then tried to search for the device with the Wii, but no luck. I also tried bridging my normal connection and the wireless device, but no luck there either. What am I doing wrong? Maybe I set it up wrong, or maybe I should use third-party software, and not Microsoft's stuff. Anyway, I hope you guys can help.

Member #
    Friends
    I'm assuming your PC is connected to the internet via a USB or cable modem, then you have a wireless card in your PC which you are using to share the internet connection with other devices.

Even if your Wii can't use your internet connection (for reasons we haev yet to fathom), it should at least *see* the wireless network. Are you sure the host PC is actually broadcasting a wifi signal ??

I mean, do you have any other wireless devices attached to this network such as a laptop or other PC or something ??

Member #
    Friends
    2278-8709-0543-4037
    I'm not using a wireless card, i'm using one of these. I was told it would work fine by quite a few people. All I had to do was go in and set it like a wireless card. Maybe the numerous people were wrong, but in any case, I need some help.

Member #
    Friends
    Oh right. Well I'm sure I read somewhere that the Wii uses mutliprotocol when it comes to wireless.

If this is true, then that seems to be an 802.11b only device and the Wii needs 802.11b and 802.11g. That might be why it's not working. I'll try and find the tech specs for the Wii wireless, but 11b/g is setting alarms off for me for some reason.

[update]: it would seem that the Wii can work with either 802.11b or 802.11g, but prefers "g", so at least in theory your usb device thing *should* work.

Are you sure your device is broadcasting it's SSID ?? If it is broadcasting, it should show up when you search for wireless networks. Having WEP encryption on or off shouldn't matter at this point. Do you not have any other wireless devices to check it with ?? Maybe a friends' laptop or even a Nintendo DS or DSLite ??
    Last edited by Goots; 12-16-2006 at 12:20 PM.

Ads