LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Opera and spyware and Viruses

I'm wondering if you visit sites that put spyware on a normal pc do they also put it on your Wii. Also what about adware and cookies. I'm afraid that if it does it could download something that could screw up the Wii and there is no way to run spyware or virus utilities to clean up the Wii..

Any thoughts?

2. Ads

Haz
    Member #
    Friends
    Good question, I was thinking this.

As far as I understand, SpyWare needs to write to your systems registrys and I don't think this is possible with the Wii.

Write like a four year old and I'll treat you as such Haz, proudly supporting correct use of English and grammar on the forums.
    Think before posting Ask a dumb question and prepare to be owned.

FYI - Internet is always a capital I. Look it up!

Member #
    Friends
    Shouldn't this be just like the case of the macs? Macs have a lower chance of getting viruses because there are so few of them. So you really don't have to worry unless a bunch of crazed Sony fanboys spend hours on end to make a buncha viruses especially for the Wii. As of now, no worries.

Member #
    Friends
    Malware designed for the Windows OS will not run on the Wii. But there is a disclaimer for the Opera Trial regarding security and damage done to the console.

Considering there's Malware for *nix, Windows, Solaris, OS X, Cell Phones, and [Insert nearly any OS or architecture here], it seems inevitable that the Wii will constantly be audited and eventually exploited. As long as you keep updated, I don't think you have too much to worry about.

Unlike Windows*, if Nintendo screws up by taking simplicity over security, there are legitimate alternatives (In essence, the Xbox 360, and maybe the PS3 if the price drops 400 dollers). That's why I'm confident they won't screw up .

*I'm not trying to start an OS war, considering I regularly run Windows, FreeBSD, and Slackware. But to be honest, all the variations of Unix and Linux are too complicated for the average computer illiterate user (Even the easy distros). OS X has one up on *nix (Yes I know it's Unix-Based) in that it's more user friendly, but Microsoft has such a huge majority of the market that incompatibility will always keep it down.

Wow, I really need sleep...
    Last edited by veurruckte; 12-29-2006 at 03:38 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    1411-7270-4122-1402
    Surprisingly when I was on my Opera Wii Browser the other night, I received a pop up which made me have to re open the page as it was opened in another window and messed my whole web browsing session up. Do you know how long it takes to find a specific page with the on screen keyboard?

Ads