LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8743-2417-5197-3490

Is this really possible?

I have read and heard many people say "oh that game is not online yet". Does that mean that its possible to enable online play for a game via updates????
    like Super Swing Golf for example...it doesnt have online but with an update can it get online capabilities...Since all the Data is on the disc I dont think its possible unless the discs interact with the console's inner data bank or something

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    4811-4181-0155-4693
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard_Aricado
    I have read and heard many people say "oh that game is not online yet". Does that mean that its possible to enable online play for a game via updates????
    like Super Swing Golf for example...it doesnt have online but with an update can it get online capabilities...Since all the Data is on the disc I dont think its possible unless the discs interact with the console's inner data bank or something
    Certainly possible technically.

Member #
    Friends
    0153-8778-5368-6652
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard_Aricado
    Well I don't really know, But if you noticed Pc games get installed on to the computer... as in the info from the cd gets....put onto the Pc so that makes it where you can edit all that stuff, Which makes pc games easy to mod.

Now consoles have a different technology of course to this. I really don't think its possible.
    (1)Wii-1/2/07
    (1)Classic Controller
    (2)Wiimotes
    (VC)Super mario 64, Gunstar Heros

ALo
    Member #
    Friends
    I hope they update it so you can play it online against other people.

Member #
    Friends
    4811-4181-0155-4693
    Sure it's possible, this is how patches and updates to games work on Xbox Live. They are just saved to the hard drive.

Member #
    Friends
    6188-0435-3585-1038
    Possible but not likely, unlike the PS3, 360 or PC the Wii isn't using a HD. Wii has like 512k internal memory expandable with up to 2gb. I'm not sure how they would patch a game since games aren't loaded onto the system like they are on other consoles. If the patch was small I'm sure they could save it to memory, but unless multiplayer was coded in on the disc and just not enabled I don't see them patching multi-player in an update. Often the multiplayer version of a game is pretty much an entirely new game as far as the code is concerned, not something you would just add in a patch.
    --Xbox 360
    --Wii
    --PS3
    --Game Whore

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthan
    Possible but not likely, unlike the PS3, 360 or PC the Wii isn't using a HD. Wii has like 512k internal memory expandable with up to 2gb. I'm not sure how they would patch a game since games aren't loaded onto the system like they are on other consoles. If the patch was small I'm sure they could save it to memory, but unless multiplayer was coded in on the disc and just not enabled I don't see them patching multi-player in an update. Often the multiplayer version of a game is pretty much an entirely new game as far as the code is concerned, not something you would just add in a patch.
    From a programming perspecitve, as part of the startup stuff that happens when the game first loads, you would need to have it check for a specific file and merge that code in with what is loaded off the disc. The Wii's limited storage space would limit how extensive those patches would be.

Member #
    Friends
    8743-2417-5197-3490
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy
    From a programming perspecitve, as part of the startup stuff that happens when the game first loads, you would need to have it check for a specific file and merge that code in with what is loaded off the disc. The Wii's limited storage space would limit how extensive those patches would be.
    Well the patch would not be so extensive because all it adds are menus and the connection to the main server so it may not be that big

Member #
    Friends
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    It's not hard to turn a older game like Street Fighter 2, into an online game(X-Box Live Did it). Nintendo can set up servers like Battlenet, and let the player host. As long as the player limit is below 9, there shouldn't be a problem. We'll have to wait till mid 2007 for their online channel. No news has been confirmed past that.

Ads